Fistulotomy w/ 10 inch drain

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Fistulotomy w/ 10 inch drain

Postby draingrrrl » 19 Feb 2019, 14:39

It’s been about three months since my mucosal flap advancement and while I feel better I am still experiencing some draining. Has anyone else dealt with long term draining after their “final surgery”? I’m hesitant to reach out to my CRS about this because she keeps wanting to push for more procedures vs giving me time to heal.

The next time I see my CSR is in April and I hope that draining has stopped - on my last check up she said that i had some over granulation that made it hard to see how it was healing so I’m hoping that letting my body heal over time will help over doing another procedure.
draingrrrl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby draingrrrl » 09 Apr 2019, 08:01

Quick update: I saw my CRS yesterday and because I am still draining, I will need another procedure. It might be a fistulotomy because the fistula might just be superficial or a cutting seton but she won't know until she goes in and checks it out.

For the last two summers, I have been starting and ending my summers with surgeries and this year, I decided to wait until fall to do this next procedure so I can have the semblance of a normal summer without an open wound and draining seton. My surgeon doesn't think that this should be a problem and I am hoping that this is the right decision.

Will this ever be over? Who knows. I hope so.
draingrrrl
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 09 Apr 2019, 08:30

If your surgeon says that your decision to wait is a safe one, then I'm sure it will all be good. And great that you even thought of asking about it!

I hope so too.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Dimitri71 » 10 Apr 2019, 03:53

Sounds like the fistula position/size is improving. If a fistulotomy or a cutting seton is possible then you are really approaching the end of the tunnel! Timing is really your choice if your CRS says it's OK to wait!
I would do it prior to a holiday so I can rest!!
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby draingrrrl » 07 Oct 2019, 19:51

It’s been 5 months since my last update. Today I saw my CRS and she thinks that my fistula has heeled. It seems like the advance flap worked and the fistula tracts have healed. This would be great news, but I haven’t stopped draining since my last surgery. As it turns out, the place where my flap was performed (the place formerly known as my inner fistula opening) is healed with scar tissue and has created a crevice where my stool collects and leaks after each BM. Joy! I have a leaky butt! My CRS is hopeful that ones the scar tissue softens, this issue will resolve itself.

I am going back in 6 months for a follow-up and hopefully I no longer have a leaky butt. The silver-lining, I think my definitive treatment (advancement flap and fistulotomy) has been successful? I’ve learned not to be too hopeful when dealing with a fistula, but I am glad not to have to go in for a cutting seton in a few weeks.

I hope that someone can look at this thread and get more information than I was ever able to find online!
draingrrrl
Fibre Addict

Postby Dimitri71 » 23 Oct 2019, 11:05

Congratulations Draingirl. Happy to read the fistula healed! I told you you'd manage eventually! Hopefully the other issue will resolve itself as well. It's fantastic help that you wrote everything down for future sufferers (as I did as well). PEOPLE, PLEASE COMMUNICATE YOUR SUCCESS STORIES!!!!
Dimitri71
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?