For ladies - does menstruation make it all worse?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

For ladies - does menstruation make it all worse?

Postby Paininthebutt2017 » 06 May 2017, 14:25

Hello to all of you outthere,
This is such a great forum.
I have been suffering from an anal fissure for the last 7 years. The last two times the fissure managed to be healed by the anoheal cream. I had diarrhea and my last fissure (healed for 2 years) reteared. Its been a month and a half and i have been in so much pain, i had to be taken to the A&E and be giving morphine. I have a very swollen sentinel tag because of my previous fissures.

I am now on anoheal again, i am using movicol twice a day, using coconut oil, vitamin E oil, i am doing sitz bath with espom salt. I am very careful with what i eat and i am off work lying down for most of the day. I felt like the spasms of the fissure after BMs were better. However my period started, i had a bit of diarrhea and since then the pain has changed. It is more burning i dont have those spasms anymore like i did compared to a week ago. I know that menstruation detract us but i noticed yesterday and today blood on my stools after BM. Could it be internal hemorrhoids? Another fissures? Ladies did you experience something similar?
I would be grateful to have your views.

Good luck to all of you. Nobody can understand what we go through with this.
Thanks!
Paininthebutt2017
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: For ladies - does menstruation make it all worse?

Postby patience_and_healing » 13 May 2017, 23:08

Before I started birth control pills (which I take to help my skin) I would get some diarrhea when my period started. It's certainly possible that it could irritate the fissure more and cause burning. The anoheal may be helping with the spasms which is a good sign.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby Bum_UK » 14 May 2017, 05:17

It could be internal hemorrhoids or the fissure. Both can bleed but if there's a streak of blood in the stool it's usually from the fissure.
I also get very loose stools or diarrhea the day before my period starts and sometimes on the first day of my period.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby Paininthebutt2017 » 15 May 2017, 06:10

Thank you for your response! I went to see the doc and he said that the skin next to the initial fissure is irritated, maybe by the anoheal and the instillagel. He did not seem concerned but i still have some bleeding when i wipe myself.. it is never ending....
Paininthebutt2017
Salt Bather

Postby Bum_UK » 15 May 2017, 07:28

It's been six weeks now. Can you ask your GP for a referral to see a colorectal surgeon? Or ask for a different cream.

It's beyond frustrating dealing with fissures...
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Paininthebutt2017 » 15 May 2017, 07:37

I know... i am seeing a colorectal surgeon. I am waiting a few days and there is no improvement i am going to see if i can get a second opinion. Which cream are you using?
Paininthebutt2017
Salt Bather

Postby Bum_UK » 15 May 2017, 07:53

I use diltiazem and have for the last six weeks. I'm doing a lot better. I've had virtually pain free BMs since last Thursday. I have an internal hem I tried to get back in and I would end up in agony for four to six hours as I'd often catch the skin tag and it would pull on the fissure. It took around two weeks for me to notice a difference when I started using the cream but I had a hem setback and it took another three weeks after that to feel a bit better again.

I've got an appointment with a CRS later this week to see what he suggests. I'd like Botox as I've had fissures off and on for ten years but never as bad as this one. I also want to hear what he suggests for the hem or hems.
Bum_UK
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Paininthebutt2017 » 15 May 2017, 08:48

There is improvement even if it is taking ages! The road is so bumpy.
Same for me i have been suffering from anal fissures for the past 7 years. This episode is the worst. I have been in so much pain that i passed out! The same cream took 2 weeks to really make a difference. I have a sentinel tag and it was so inflamed. But my period (hence my post) was a bumper. And now i am bleeding every day when i have a BM. The CRS said the fissure is healing but the skin is sore. I am doubting his view! The pain is ok now but it burns...
I am tryjng coconut oil, vitamine
E oil bureau nothing seems to work. This forum is so great.
I hope your appointment goes well. Keep me posted!
Paininthebutt2017
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 25 May 2017, 20:30

Paininthebutt2017 I also have a fissure and a skin tag my fissure is at the front where's yours? Vie had mine come an go for 3.5 years my skin tag get big angry an red an it hurts so bad it's playing up today aswel. My midwife told me the when a woman's estrogen is low her skin is weak or breaks out is dry an damages easily our estrogen levels drop while on our periods so your skin will be weaker try going on birth control pills it stabilizes hormones so you won't get a dip in estrogen I'm planning on doing this after I stop breadt feeding I have a 6 week old an I'm dealing with this too.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Paininthebutt2017 » 26 May 2017, 03:11

Thank you for this! Very interesting indeed. My CRS did not seem to agree on that. The thing is i have been trying for ages to have a second child so no birth control pills for me...
Paininthebutt2017
Salt Bather