Frustrating Bowel Movements!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Frustrating Bowel Movements!

Postby EllCee » 02 Jul 2018, 16:58

I've been trying really hard to follow a fissure friendly diet.
Its so challenging, reading everything it seems everyone is different so some things that work well for some (high fibre for example) don't work well with others.
I've found for the most part that fibre has helped. I first went on a restrictive diet: vegan, no wheat, really focusing on high fibre foods+metamucil, no fried foods, mostly whole plants. And it worked REALLY well for me. I had 4 weeks of bliss. Then I went out for dinner with some friends to a Thai place, and while I followed my diet, the next day I had a loose stool that just tore me open.
I've been unsuccessfully chasing that 'high' since. I ended up going on a few trips and it lead to a lot of eating out and trouble following my diet, which lead to constipation and a relapse.
I'm finally recovered from the regular bleeding and tear inducing BMs after the trips, but it has still been super frustrating, I can't find what is wrong.
Just last week, I was avoiding eating out and following my 'plan' perfectly. Then my period started. And in ONE DAY I woke up and had a very constipated BM at 9AM. Then 1PM I found myself running to the toilet with diarrhea and then at 8PM I had constipation again! Like tiny hard rabbit poops. How could I have such a dramatic swing in one day?!
I was all torn and in pain and just frustrated with it all. After that episode I said EFF it (I'm not sure if swearing is allowed here, but I was swearing). If I am so messed up right now, I might as well have a couple days of eating some foods I love before trying to get back on the right tracks again. So the past 3 days I've been eating pasta and fries and bread and cheese. I'm still vegetarian, so I still have a basic level of whole veggies as well.
And do you know what? I have had perfect toothpaste BMs since.
I'm at my wits end! I have to think, I can't manage to cure the fissures if my bowels are all over the place! Being bad when I'm on a proper diet, and being good when I'm eating the wrong foods just doesn't make any sense. I have a feeling last week's problem probably was my period, but how do I do this if once a month my bowels take a hormonal joy ride?
Ugh, I'm just looking for some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. :cry: My doctor suggested surgery, but like I said, I doubt I can call myself cured if I have a bowel problem that will cause a relapse after surgery, so I declined for now. I'm also so confident in how I progress on my own when things are going good, that if I can somehow just keep some normal BMs coming that I would have success.
EllCee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Frustrating Bowel Movements!

Postby Fissuretraveler » 02 Jul 2018, 19:52

Your journey sounds very much like mine. I can’t maintain consistent bowel movements for my life. It is so frustrating! I have consistently stayed away from all the things I love cheese, pasta, bread etc. This is the healthiest I have probably ever eaten.

I had a Standard Anal Dilation in February and I am better but I can’t seem to get it to completely heal due to random bouts of diarrhea or constipation-just very frustrating.
Fissuretraveler
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: Frustrating Bowel Movements!

Postby patience_and_healing » 03 Jul 2018, 22:22

Have you tried probiotics to improve your digestion? And do you know if you have IBS and that certain FODMAP foods can produce poor BMs? If you can figure out the missing pieces in the food + digestion puzzle, you may be able to get somewhat consistent BMs. Miralax can also help to even things out if you swing between soft and hard BMs.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion