Getting ready for LIS next Weds!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Getting ready for LIS next Weds!

Postby gr8ness » 15 Sep 2009, 07:55

A little of my background. I originally tore open my fissure back in July, 2005 (I'll never forget that dreaded day). I suffered with it for a few months before breaking down and seeing my family doctor. After trying suppositories, etc. My family doctor referred me to a Colon Rectal Surgeon. He diagnosed me with an Anal Fissure in early '06. I was prescribed Nifedipine and tried that for a few months but with no luck. I then scheduled LIS and when I was about a week before the scheduled surgery my symptoms magically went away...it was quite bizarre. I was taking loads of stool softeners and still using the nifedipine so I actually had a pain free bm. I lasted pain free for a few days so I freaked thinking why would I get surgery since I'm in no pain? So I canceled. I was actually pain free for about 3 months after that. Then I re tore it again and repeated the cycle for another month then the pain stopped for another couple months and the cycle has been going like that since.
But then last month I needed to to take Cipro for a UTI (I'm one of the few males in the world that seems to get these) and that constipated me to the point that I re tore really, really bad this time. I also had the unfortunate luck of springing a thrombosed hemmhoroid for the first time as well which hurts too but all the time. I am at the point where I try to postpone BM's for every other day just to have a nice semi normal day. When I go it ruins my entire day...I can't concentrate, can't sit down, can't relax. I thought trying to go before bed would work out better but I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep.
I finally had enough suffering and made another appointment to see my CRS. He confirmed that I re-tore the fissure and had a thrombosed hemmorhoid. I mean I've gotten the the point that I was pain free for about at least 6 months but the Cipro did me in. But was also popping stool softeners everyday like candy. Anyways my CRS has suggested the LIS with potential excision of the Thrombosed if it's still there (he thought it might be gone by the surgery which I'm hoping but it still remains, though that part doesn't hurt so bad anymore...I guess they subside after the first few days but it's still swollen)
Anyways, needless to say I'm very nervous about next week's LIS w/ potential excision of Thrombosed and my White Coat anxiety will no doubt make this a lot worse. Also, of course the pain was a little better this morning, but this time pain or not I'm going through with it because otherwise I will suffer on and off for my whole life! I've never had surgery before with the exception of Wisdom Teeth removal (which I was awake for) I have been instructed to take 2 fleet enemas which I'm not too excited about because I've never used those. I was just wondering what to expect on the day of my surgery since I'm freaking out!
gr8ness
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Getting ready for LIS next Weds!

Postby Guest » 15 Sep 2009, 15:13

Welcome Gr8ness !
I think the build up and waiting is a head scramble...
Think postive !! Your LIS is the fix you need and dont think any other way :)
Kim put together some good information here about surgery -
http://anal-fissure.org/considering-surgery-or-already-had-it-f1/surgery-information-lis-t1850.htm

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Sep 2009, 15:17

Yep, Tabby is so right. After all you have been through, LIS is long overdue and you have no reason to feel any way other than your time to be healed has come, and it surely has!!
Deleted User 5

Postby crimeofpassion » 15 Sep 2009, 20:06

Hi there!
I was just like you. The only surgery I had prior to my LIS was my wisdom teeth removal.
Personally it might be better if I DON'T share my LIS experience with you, because it didn't go well. Image That's not the case for a lot - if not most - people, so no need to scare you too much.
I just had to use some Fleets enemas recently, and that also didn't go smoothly. I used one and it didn't work, and when I tried to use the second one it was just too painful, and I had to call my surgeon and tell her it was a no go. Thankfully it wasn't a problem. I did have a small BM about 12 or so hours after using the enema, but yeah...didn't really work. The nurse I talked to said that happens to some people. If it does, don't panic like I did, just call your doctor/surgeon as soon as possible and ask for advice.
I don't know if they're making you stay away from high fiber foods before your surgery, but stick to soft foods for a few days beforehand. Jello, yogurt, bananas, soup... Afterward you'll be doing the same thing, of course. Be sure to have ice packs on hand as well, since there will be swelling. Sometimes the swelling can prevent you from urinating - that's what happened to me when I woke up. In that case you'll probably have a catheter put in for 2 days.
I didn't take any of the hardcore pain killers they gave me, since those make me sick. They also had me take a laxative afterward - Senokot, I believe, which was a HUUUGE mistake. Gave me the worst nausea and cramping I've ever had in my entire life. Had to call the surgeon at 3 in the morning and beg him to call in some anti-nausea pills, which didn't work. If you know of a laxative that works well for you personally, I suggest asking if you can use it instead of the one they (might) give you! Having nausea on top of the pain is no fun at all.
And of course, try not to sit too much after your surgery!
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Sep 2009, 06:51

So how are you doing now, COP, and how are you handling classes? Image
Deleted User 5

Postby gr8ness » 16 Sep 2009, 07:09

Thanks for all the words of encouragement I greatly appreciate it! I'll tell you it's been a rough few weeks. First the UTI, then re-tore the fissure/thrombosed hemmy...then last Thursday I visited my doctor for the Pre-Op and an EKG was required for that. Well some of the leads didn't seem to stick properly to my chest b/c of chest hair and I thought that was weird. Then my doctor came in and freaked out saying that the test says I have an enlarged heart so I immediately got sick to my stomach. My doctor sent me for an immediate cardiac xray and I worried myself sick all day on Friday on top of all the fissure/hemmy pain thinking I have a heart problem on top of all this. I kept calling the doc office to find out the results and they didn't come in until late afternoon. Luckily xray was normal! I'm still waiting for the bloodwork results but hopefully that's all good. My Blood Pressure always goes through the roof in a medial/dental environment so that always makes doctors worry.
My CRS told me that I could have the surgery on a Friday and be back at work on a Monday but I wisely decided to have the surgery done on a Weds so I could take off the rest of the week. I'm seeing that I made a good choice there since some people take a few weeks to heal...I hope I'm a fast healer because I have a cruise scheduled for last week of October. I figure though after living with this fissure pain and now with the thrombosed so long especially sitting through meetings, working with computers all day I can hopefully survive the surgery recovery pains. I'll tell you it's really hard to mask fissure pain when you are at work...you literally need to pretend nothing is wrong when you are in throbbing pain...it's like torture. Who needs water-boarding? Just give people a fissure and they will scream bloody murder.
I hope this procedure works and I hope General Anesthesia ain't so bad...I'm worried about that too. I'm sorry to hear about your bad time crimeofpassion...I hope all is well now! Thanks for that link...it's very helpful! Thanks again!
gr8ness
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Sep 2009, 07:12

Well some of the leads didn't seem to stick properly to my chest b/c of chest hair and I thought that was weird.
Even weirder they didn't have a razor nearby!
I worried about the GA, too but I did just fine and you will too, they have advanced ways of monitoring your consciousness and vitals so it is very safe these days..
Deleted User 5

Postby crimeofpassion » 16 Sep 2009, 10:22

I'm really sore today, Kim. I got constipated before my latest "surgery" (just an exam, really) because I couldn't have any high fiber foods or supplements beforehand, and then they had me taking MOM afterward every day. Unfortunately that resulted in me going to the bathroom 3 times yesterday and twice so far today. Ugh! My stomach just doesn't feel so great, nor does my bottom! Can't seem to keep any food in me.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Sep 2009, 10:33

Have you cut back on the MOM?
Deleted User 5

Postby gr8ness » 16 Sep 2009, 11:52

Kim wrote:Well some of the leads didn't seem to stick properly to my chest b/c of chest hair and I thought that was weird.
Even weirder they didn't have a razor nearby!
I worried about the GA, too but I did just fine and you will too, they have advanced ways of monitoring your consciousness and vitals so it is very safe these days..

Tell me about it! Hair and adhesives don't mix very well Image. Yeah, I'm sure I'm stressing over nothing with the GA but since it's the first time I'm freaking out I guess. The way to approach this I'm guessing is to look at the big picture and not having to deal with this problem again in my life (hopefully). Well I just heard back from my doctor's office and my bloodwork is good so I have the green light for the surgery! Yay! I can't wait until this is all over! I hope these anesthesiologists will have some real good stuff to take away my nervousness.
gr8ness
Fibre Addict