Good Luck tomorrow SmallChange!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Good Luck tomorrow SmallChange!!

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 13:48

small and dawn, if your really worried about that first BM after surgery then make sure you sit in the bath when you get that feeling, it will be more soothing doing it in the bath, there may be blood though but that's normal, I know it's a bit gross but I'm sure we're all used to talking and dealing with all things poop Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 13:52

dawn, I had a BM in the afternoon after surgery, I say BM, but it was a big gauze pad that I passed as well as multiple little BM's that hurt like hell, I was straight in the bath to try and ease the pain, which is why I suggest pooping in the bath for the first couple of times, you'll be fine once you've had that first one and know what it feels like
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 13:54

Did you have fissure pain or was it different?

Postby Deleted User 428 » 23 Sep 2010, 13:58

I posted while you guys were posting and it didn't take my response so sorry if this is a repeat.
My surgery is at the hospital. The surgical center doesn't do any cases on Fridays so they send everything to the hospital OR. Still outpatient though.
My doc prescribes vicodin and ibuprofin. He said his patients usually only need the vicodin the first day if necessary and then the ibuprofin after that. I had vicodin for my dental surgery in April. Made me pretty loopy. I don't like that feeling but its better than the pain.
Thanks again for all your well wishes.
Deleted User 428

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 14:01

It was kinda like fissure pain but difficult to tell, the surgical pain masked everything, it was worse in my case because of the fissurectomy, maybe after LIS alone things won't be that bad, from what I've read anyway.
Just keep positive and after the surgery expect some pain and discomfort but keep the dream alive, the dream being you having a new life without the bum pain, you will get through it.
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 14:10

SC ,I agree about being loopy over pain. I'll take that! lol
I hate pain meds though, they usually make me throw up.
My docs suppose to give me a prescription for that though.
Steve, did you have any skin tags removed? My crs says she doesn't do fissurectomy... What is that exactly?

Postby PaulsPain » 23 Sep 2010, 15:19

Hi SC - Wanting to wish you the good luck with your procedure. Just keep thinking positively. This step should be the end of fissure hell.
I only used the a couple tablets of the pain meds when I first got home. I hate them since they make me feel loopy and made me vomit. I was given percocet. I then switched to taking 2 liquid Advil every four hours which worked well.
About bowel prep- For all three of my surgeries the nurse had orders to give an enema when I showed up at the hospital. The first two times I had BM within an hour of going in and in to much pain. So they didn't give it to me. My last surgery, 2 weeks ago, I gave myself two enemas at home which hurt like hell and burned. But I thought I would rather be at home than having a nurse doing it.
Dawn - Fissurectomy is shaving the fissure of the scar tissue to "clean up" the area. My CRS told me this speeds healing if heavily scarred and chronic fissures. I had two of these done at the same time in Jan - since I had two fissures. As you can imagine this adds the pain of having a fresh fissure - not fun.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 15:26

PaulsPain wrote:Dawn - Fissurectomy is shaving the fissure of the scar tissue to "clean up" the area. My CRS told me this speeds healing if heavily scarred and chronic fissures. I had two of these done at the same time in Jan - since I had two fissures. As you can imagine this adds the pain of having a fresh fissure - not fun.

That's what I had done Paul, and can only second what you say about the pain, not fun at all
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2010, 20:14

Thanks for explaining :) I can see how that would cause more pain... Glad I don't need that too but it makes sense.

Postby Guest » 24 Sep 2010, 06:31

Hey SC,
Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you today. I hope your surgery went well!!