great results from lowering fiber!! how did that happen...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

great results from lowering fiber!! how did that happen...

Postby Agibson » 06 Dec 2017, 05:49

Hi Folks,

hope you're all having good days today.

I recently had (another) great success, having suffered horrible AFs for 7 years now, often looking to fiber to help me (as prev posts).

I recently went away for a month with work, and basically every meal i had to choose from a menu (restaurant, hotel etc). sounds like our worst nightmare right? I had a month of no pain! friendly soft small stools, and daily easy movements. lots of water still. no creams or supplements.

i was basically healed and painfree for the whole time i was away! when i returned i got back into my habits of muesli and loads veg. A couple of larger BM's later i was back to pain again! So, I made list of what i ate whilst away, followed it, and right now im pain free again!

Its true that without the fiber my BMs missed occasional days, but they weren't hard when they arrived. im guessing the mass went down thats all. but no dry hard stool or even a plug.

Im very surprised but happy with the present result! I still avoided red meat and sugar, but im sure my fat and salt intake went up a lot, maybe that is what i was missing.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Happily confused for once!
Agibson
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: great results from lowering fiber!! how did that happen.

Postby hurtinend » 06 Dec 2017, 20:02

This is one of the frustrations....what works for one, may not work for another. If I don't eat high fibre, I get plugged up, big time. That being said, going easily everyday has not helped my pain one bit.

I'm glad you discovered that less fibre may help you. Now that you are back home, you may want to try the diet you were on when away...see if the pattern continues.
hurtinend
Fissureologist

Topics: 35

Postby Agibson » 04 Jan 2018, 06:50

Hi hurtinend,

Hope you're having a good day today.

yeah i guess we are all different, such a complicated thing.

Ive realised it might not have been less fiber, but more food generally that gave me good type 4s. ive copied a recent post below just to update the thread.

take care.

I'm back in a purple patch (long may it last), only two weeks so far but lets see. i have lowered fiber but also increased food intake...

This recent success (daily type 4 BMs on rising, no hard stools, no excruciating pain - the holy grail!) has coincided with a period of eating a lot, (more than i would normally) having 3 good sized meals a day, plus regular snacking (ripe bananas, ryvita, crisps, salami, chocolate, whatever)

this approach still adhers to a mostly plant based diet, but getting some fats+protein from a little meat. im not having any fibre supplements, or over depending/obsessing on any one thing like prunes or apples or whatever.

this approach kind of happened by accident while travelling with work for 3 weeks. i couldnt understand, why my stools softened and BMs regulated (=fissure pain goes) when i couldnt really control what i ate. but i was eating+drinking a lot as you often do when away.

So i tried to repeat this at home, and amazingly got the same results! This leads me to wonder if eating plenty of food gives a constant signal to your gastrocolix reflex to keep working, this shortening its digestion time (hard stools are what caused my fissures, but ive known acid D to hurt too).

Its been a fascinating 2 weeks: I eat healthily generally, but eating more throughout the day has really done more than controlling every last item in the cupboard.

for the record:

pre breakfast - pint warm water+coffee
porridge (water)

snacks - ripe bananas/salami/ryvita/crisps/cold plate

main meals - a starter (eg saladrocket/beetroot/cucumber) + veg stir fry/pasta+butter beans+pesto/chickpea curry.

ive always been generally underweight, but my BMI has gone up to 21 already - i guess increasing food intake may not sound appealing to some people, but i have read that constipation and being underweight can often go together!

Any way i thought i'd post this in case its useful. let me know if you've had similar experience!

Cheers, and all the best.
Agibson
Fibre Addict

Postby Agibson » 20 Apr 2018, 05:24

Hi folks,
thought i'd update on my healing methods as i'm still in a good patch, just over 6 months now! having given up work, and even moved city as a result of my 7 seven year fissure misery! i basically just gave up on much of life until i could sort my self somehow.
So I'm still well, having given up fibre supps, my vegan diet, overloaded fruit bowl and chia seed porridge breakfasts. I still drink loads of water though. I now can eat steak, chicken etc, potatoes, pasta - as i said before, a meat and two veg diet is what i have now. even if i miss a day or two with the BM, it seems that having taken out all the fibre, my BMs are type 4 every time. the only time they aren't is when i know i didn't drink any water the day before, or i maxed out on alchohol, coffee, salty stuff, and especially if i'm on a long journey by car or plane or something like that. for me i cant really drink too much water, especially in the afternoon/evening - i feel to go to bed hydrated helps with the next mornings BM.
im updating this post because we are all encouraged to eat loads of fibre, but ive found the opposite more helpful to me. food we cant digest will make your stool larger - you might find a way to keep it soft, with medication, or whatever, but it seems i digest meat and carbs really well and so theres little left! and then with the water i drink it seems theres no way that it can harden, or get stuck! when i remember how bad things were when i was overdoing it (fibre), was horrendous, can feel like life or death on the bathroom! but with this simple approach, ive had 6 months of type 4. Im not saying this can work for everyone, but at least it has worked for me. I guess theres a reason why cultures mill their grains, seeds, and peel potatoes, vegs etc. i'd love to read a cross-cultural study of fissures in relation to local diets etc.
Anyway,
I really hope some of you try this approach if you've tried everything else and are still suffering!
basically: dont think about fibre, eat meat+2 veg, cook well, eat slowly and chew well, 2l water through the day.
Good luck!
Agibson
Fibre Addict