Had small polyp removed, now need advice

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Had small polyp removed, now need advice

Postby JasonJ » 13 Jun 2013, 19:22

Hi everyone, new here, just wondering about some things. I had rectal bleeding for a year or two which stopped and started and came and went on its own, no other symptoms other than a vague tightness/fullness from the lower anus in the area of the bleeding. It went away for a long time, but then reappeared last fall. Saw a colorectal surgeon, who determined through a colonoscopy that I had a tiny benign inflammatory polyp. He removed this but saw drainage underneath, which made him think there might have been an abscess. I waited 4 weeks after my colonoscopy and saw him again, and he said there was still purulent drainage there, and said I needed an Exam Under Anasthesia to determine what was going on. I had that soon after, and he told me he went in, looked for a fistula, (there was none, thank god!) and said he simply removed the small problem area and put one stitch in. I went home the same day. No post-op problems at all, did sitz baths for 4 weeks. Saw him again, said it seemed to be healing fine, wanted to start me on metamucil. I asked him what the small thing he removed was, and he said the biopsy was benign, and that it was like a small zit one would get on their face with puss in it, only in the anus. He said he really hadn't ever seen anything like it before, but didn't think it was a big deal. I asked him about recurrence, and he said one never knows, but didn't seem to think it likely. He never really called it an abscess, and since I never had major pain or drainage with it, and no need for a seton, and since there was no fistula, I guess it was just a random thing?
So here's my main question. Has anyone heard of anything like a small pus-filled zit in the lower anus. I was really relieved that he didn't think it was an abscess, and that there was no fistula. Also, he said it would take 3 months to heal totally. I'm guessing he used one of those absorbable stitches? Because he never said I'd have to come back unless I had other symptoms again. He said he thought what I had had taken a long time to develop, and if I take care of myself and don't have anal sex anymore, I will be a lot safer. 
I used to lift two 10-pound weights every day twice a day before my surgery. But I stopped so I could recover and heal up. So now that it has almost been three months, should I be totally healed up now? Can I start lifting weights again? Or should I wait longer to be safe? I really want to get back into exercising and lifting weights again but I want to be sure I'm healed first. What would be a safe time to wait before I do it again? Thanks for any and all helpful comments!
JasonJ

Topics: 1

Re: Had small polyp removed, now need advice

Postby Savaici » 14 Jun 2013, 11:28

Image to the group.
I would go with what your CRS has said about it just being a spot that you got. He seems happy with his diagnosis. Don't worry unnecessarily. If you are not happy, however, with the diagnosis, then I would consult with another CRS. 
I have found one link on the Forum to do with weights. Personally, I would wait a little longer to make sure that all is well. You do not want to have everything start all over again.
http://anal-fissure.org/t3325-lifting-weights-cause-issues?highlight=weights
Last edited by Savaici on 14 Jun 2013, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby JasonJ » 14 Jun 2013, 15:02

Thanks for the response! I guess even though he said I should be healed in 3 months, and the 3 months is almost up, I should wait a bit longer. So how long would you say? 6 months? A year? I do want to be sure I'm healed. But I only lifted two 10 pound weights before, that doesn't seem like it would be much, but I don't want to tempt fate.
I have already resumed my other activities, just haven't lifted weights yet because I want to be cautious. I have been doing just basic walking and stuff, to get my heart rate up and stay somewhat in shape in lieu of not lifting the weights. How long should it take before a small place like that totally heals in the anus?
JasonJ

Postby marg6043 » 14 Jun 2013, 21:03

JasonJ, hi there, like  Savaici said you need to call your CRS and ask him about when you can go back to regular exercises.
I am big on exercising and weigh training, depending on what the doctor deem to be right for strenuous exercises is the key here, I had three major surgery and all were different on the waiting time for exercises.
My husband have a polyp remove from his colon and he had to wait 4 weeks before doing any type of heavy lifting.
But you had a cyst with stitches so I guess the waiting will be longer.
I am glad that your test came back negative that is very important.
I wish you the best.Image
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby JasonJ » 15 Jun 2013, 08:50

marg, thanks for your reply, I guess you would describe hat I had removed a cyst, for lack of a better word. CRS said it was basically a zit and he hadn't really seen one before bit he said it want a big deal. He said he put one small single stitch (I assume absorbable) there after he removed it and that was that. I had it done in March, I saw him a month later he seemed to think it was healing ok. It's now been nearly 3 months so one would think I could safely lift two 10- pound weights for curling arm exercises? Not talking about doing anything like crunches or preses yet. Just want to tone up again. Should I wait to more months or another year before doing simple arm exercisses I have been resuming normal everyday activities, like simple cardio, non-weigtlifting. Also I will ask the CRS this but what is the chance of a small rectal cyst recurring in the same spot? When I saw him for my one month follow up post op he didn't seem to know but said I could resume my normal activities then. But I have waited because I wanted to give my body more time. Guess he knew what he was talking about though!
JasonJ

Postby marg6043 » 15 Jun 2013, 16:18

JasonJ, I guess when it comes with problems in the anal area you never know what can happen next, but if the doctor removed the cyst and have to stich in, it means that he took the root of it with it.
I am not familiar with cyst but fistulas are like a cyst that becomes infected and deeper.
Perhaps you may find information on cysts within the fistula forum.
As for normal activities just do what you can and see how you fee.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8