Has anyone ever gotten an colonoscopy with an AF?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Has anyone ever gotten an colonoscopy with an AF?

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2007, 12:00

If so,
1. Did the preparation (cleaning out the pipes) hurt your AF?
2. Did the actual procedure hurt your AF?
Thanks!

Re: Has anyone ever gotten an colonoscopy with an AF?

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2007, 16:07

I had a barium enema with one, not the same and it didn't help things thats for sure.

Postby happyass » 08 Jul 2007, 17:10

well considering that i was still healing my AF - i was actually due to have an LIS right after the colonoscopy but my doc nixed it since i was healing well enough - but he recommended to use vaseline during the prep so that it would not irritate the fissure each time i had to evacuate during the prep.
i was concerned too that the procedure would make the fissure worse.
however, i am pleased to say that neither the prep nor the colonoscopy did any irritation/hurt to the healing fissure.
as a matter of fact, i felt better after the colonosocpy.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2007, 17:18

All,
Thanks for the info!
So HA, you felt that the prep w/vasoline wasn't too bad and that the procedure didn't hurt the AF either?
Thanks again!

Postby happyass » 08 Jul 2007, 20:44

well it helps that you take your 'fasting' seriously. the day that i did the prep, the night before, you stop eating.
the fasting day was easier than i thought. i should do that more often!
it actually helps if you begin to adjust your eating a few days before the prep so you can have an easier prep day - ie, you won't have much to bowel move other than liquids.
having the vaseline or a very creamy lubricant will definitely help protect the anus tissue from the bms/liquids that will come out after the prep has taken place.
i was scared the colonoscopy would cause more injury to my fissure area and really, after waking up, i didn't feel a thing. even afterwards, i felt as if i was healing really well.
and i did.
ps. and to me, the prep was the easiest part. the worst part was waiting in the hospital for my turn to go to the OR. Image
happyass
King Fissure

Postby buttgirl » 09 Jul 2007, 09:33

I didn't find the prep to be too bad either. Fasting for a little while was pretty easy, actually.

What I did find to be awful was the actual colonoscopy itself. Although he swore he lubed the instrument well, ever time my GI moved the instrument, he jabbed my fissure. That was a painful, painful experience--like an hour long bm. the good news though is that I don't think the colonoscopy really did any damage to the fissure.

A sigmoidoscopy is much easier!!
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2007, 16:32

Just checking...
Did you two have to take the laxative for the procedure? If so, what kind?
THANKS

Postby buttgirl » 09 Jul 2007, 16:59

They put me on a clear liquid diet for the day before the procedure and made me take two little bottles of fleet phoshosoda, one the eve before the procedure and one 3 hrs before the procedure. Those REALLY cleaned me out.:shock:

My adivce: stay near a toilet about 1-2 hours after taking the meds and do your best to relax before the currents of poo explode. Also don't breathe before flushing the toilet. Also have a cup of apple juice or gatorade or something else strongly flavored to wash down the taste of the phosphosoda.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2007, 17:28

I just had a colonoscopy a month ago. Had to drink a gallon of "GoLitely". HA!!! The name deceives! There was no "Lightly" about it, there was NOTHING left after drinking that stuff down. It was all quite - excuse me but - runny, so there was no AF discomfort for me. I opted to have the proceedure early the next morning to get it over with, and I don't remember a THING! They made me very comfy, wheeled me into the op room, some nice lady said "I'm Sheila and I'll be your cocktail nurse" and then I woke up back in the recovery area. I went home and slept for a few hours and was fine. No pain to speak of. It helped that the Dr knew I had the AF and was very careful. The prep was the only bad thing about it, but it actually felt kind of good to know there was nothing at all in "the plumbing".

Postby happyass » 10 Jul 2007, 11:02

i also had golytely. it's a gallon of water mixed with a flavored powder (you choose one as there are like three flavors in the kit - i used orange :-)). but before then, you take four tablets about 2 pm. you don't start drinking the liquid until either your first bm or about four-five hours later. the challenge is drinking the full gallon like in 10 minutes by pacing yourself and getting an 8oz cup and drinking one like every minute or so until done. it wasn't that bad.
since i started eating light before the fasting day, most of my eliminations were simple and mostly liquid. i was even liquidy the morning of. but i can tell you....i didn't find the need to go until about one hour after i started drinking the liquids which was about 9 pm at night.
i too got booked early in the morning - at 9:30 am but didn't quite get in until about 10:30 am. i was hungry afterwards.
drew's mom, i was so hoping i would be wheeled into the OR but i was guided to it - ie, i walked into my own OR!!! i was very scared and there was like 9 people in there. i saw the screen, the machines, the tubes, etc.
however, my anesthesiologist was perfect - her name was gloria. and well, she took care of me. got prepped on the table with IV and monitors and then in went the VERSED.
and out went happyass!!!!
i don't remember anything. i didn't feel anything.
and about a while later i woke up in recovery and when i came to, i was so relaxed and not in pain at all that i just started to cry a lot because i was so glad it was over. i have never been an in OR before or put to sleep. so it was quite scary for me even if i am 36!!!!!!
the only negative thing i could say is that my memory recall was not as fast as it normally is for about a week. but then i was okay after that.
i wasn't sleepy afterwards.
just very hungry!!!!
happyass
King Fissure