Having my op in two days! Help!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Having my op in two days! Help!

Postby PetrifiedEm » 25 Nov 2013, 15:23

Help! I am so frightened! Having my op on Wednesday and it is scary!!! I have a fistula and have had it for 2 years!! I really don't know what to expect. I'm going in as a day case but have been told to prepare for longer. My little boy is so worried and I can't even tell him how long I will be away from him. I have no idea what it's going to be like after! How long will I feel grotty? How long will I be off work? How much will it hurt? Any advice or insight into this bloomin awful thing would be much appreciated!!
PetrifiedEm

Topics: 2

Re: Having my op in two days! Help!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Nov 2013, 16:11

Em,
Don't be scared! Fistulas can be easily dealt with and you will be just fine.
The surgery will allow your CRS to take a good look at what's going on & assess the exact size & location of the thing and then determine the appropriate surgery for your case - Did they advise you of what surgery options they might carry out? or anything about the fistula itself?
If your fistula is straightforward (and the majority are) any surgery they perform will be quick and uncomplicated. Recovery is not as bad as you might fear and apart from discomfort for a few days, things should start to improve for you pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure that your CRS would have given you some indication if they felt concerned about anything and hopefully, you will be the day case surgery, which is about half a day in total.......
The anaesthesia will make you feel grotty for maybe the day after too, but you'll be fine after that - Just try to get sofa and extra bed rest for a couple of days and slowly build back to normal. Nothing with my fistula op really hurt, it was just all a bit uncomfortable for a couple of weeks, but nothing too major & I found I didn't even need pain killers. I was back at work about 10 days after my op and doing fine.
Just try to reassure yourself that it's routine, lots of people successfully go through the procedure and tell your little boy the same & that he has nothing to worry about and mummy will be home very soon!
It'll give you the perfect opportunity to spend cosy time with him in a relaxed position & distracting yourself by reading funny stories together or watching films! :)
You will get over this, so please stay strong & be reassured......
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby carmona81 » 27 Nov 2013, 05:08

Don't worry to much. I just let go and went in for my op. How days go by so fast! Please keep us updated. So many stories on this site, everyones is different.
carmona81
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Nov 2013, 15:36

Ems,
How did it go? Any updates? x
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again