Healing AF without surgery: how long?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Postby Cathy in Ohio » 06 Jul 2009, 07:44

Hi Everyone
Question: Can a fissure heal on its own.....without surgery? I was in pretty bad shape in June, and as reported in other posts, stumbled across the Dr Wheatgrass Skin Recovery cream (the rx from doc, Proctosyl, made this worse so I discontinued).
So now, my regimen has been:
*Lots of liquid, fiber, etc.
*Keep fissure clean and apply Dr Wheatgrass Skin Recovery Cream 3 times a day
*Apply Lidocaine 20 minutes before a BM to help with pain
Things are WAY better since mid-June, where as previously reported, I was in so much pain I went to ER.
BM's are way less painful (though still not great). Bleeding still occurs during BM. My recovery after painful BM is shorter due to immediately cleaning up and applying the Dr Wheatgrass cream.......within an hour by ass is much better.
Question: for those who, like me, are trying to heal on their own, for those who have done so successfully being vigilant about everything, does AF take a few or several months to heal? I know everyone is different so this is a subjective question.............................
My mother is convinced (thru her elderly friends) that surgery is the only way to fix a fissure. I know surgery has helped greatly for many of you nice folks, but can the folks who healed their AF without surgery please share the timeframe for their own personal recoveries...............thanks to all!!
Cathy in Ohio
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Healing AF without surgery: how long?

Postby cherylk » 06 Jul 2009, 10:25

I think everyone is different. I healed mine with diliatzen ointment. I was officially diagnosed with an AF in April of 2008; the last time I had any blood was in November of last year. I used the ointment off and on during that whole time period and even sometimes afterwards.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 Jul 2009, 17:59

Hi Cathy! Glad you are still doing better!
Yes! Fissures CAN certainly heal "on their own," but once they become chronic, the likelihood that they will heal without intervention goes down over time. If you aren't having recurrent spasms during the morning hours, then perhaps your anal region isn't that tight which is good! You seem to be describing fissure site pain, which most people with AF have regardless of the spasms (I had spasms more than the pain during a BM.)
It takes a fissure about 4-8 weeks to heal once the problems causing it not to heal (e.g. spasms/tightness) are resolved. Bleeding can continue to occur (with less and less frequency) for 6 months to a year, which means that REAL healing takes a much longer time. Which in turn means, you need to continue babying your arse and your diet for that year or forever. But the initial healing, by which I mean things pretty much get back to normal, should take about a month or two.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2009, 07:34

Hey Cathy!
I would just keep doing what you are doing. Sounds good. I am doing much better since my retear (beware!) and know now to not stray from my regimen either. I use the wheatgrass too, if nothing else it keeps the area from getting irritated.
It can heal on its own but can take awhile for sure. I would keep doing what you are doing and be careful!

Postby Cathy in Ohio » 08 Jul 2009, 13:27

Hi Kim, Cheryl and Tracy!
Thanks for your responses.................I truly appreciate them!!
I am getting antsy to be done with this (you all can relate I am sure). And all the bs that goes along with fissures. I absolutely love the fact that I have found relief with that Lidocaine gel 20 minutes before a bm, but on weekends if you are out and about running errands, finding a place to go to apply the Lidocaine is a real treat.........I feel comfortable in my own home applying the gel, and even have a system at work when nature calls a place to go to put the gel in.
We are used to packing it up and going for weekends, and the fissure kind of cramps your style (no pun intended) because if you leave home for a decent amount of time, you have to schlep the bag of assorted creams and gels just in case mother nature wants to pay a visit! Ok, too much info, I know :)
Thanks again listening and responding, you guys are fantastic!
Cathy in Ohio
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Jul 2009, 14:10

Yes, I understand that completely, Cathy. My fissure was so severe that I could not, basically, leave the county here where I live. Kinda rough when your wife lives on the opposite side of the state!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 08 Jul 2009, 14:25

I understand Cathy! I just get a travel pack of baby wipes and the benefibre!
Across the state? oh no! That must have been very stressful Kim.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Jul 2009, 15:24

I was lucky enough to have her do the driving back then, Tracey! The two times I did drive to Atlanta, it was sheer hell.
Deleted User 5

Postby Cathy in Ohio » 08 Jul 2009, 16:32

Kim
I agree with Tracy that had to be stressful living so far from your wife.
We are going on vacation in Aug to Hilton Head (from Columbus Oh). The drive is about 12 hours I am already stressing! I have no pain sitting since I started the wheatgrass, it is just bm's that are better but still painful. My 2 kids are excited about going, so I am gonna suck it up!!!
Cathy in Ohio
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Jul 2009, 16:59

It is not past tense, we still live on opposite ends of a rather large state!
I love Hilton Head! Harbour Town, yaaay!
As long as you don't have to drive, you have options, like stretching the seat waaaaaay back and putting more pressure on your back, or even sides. You'll do just fine, Cathy! I am hoping to get to go stay with my cousin there soon!
Deleted User 5