Hello everyone, New here and really need some support/advice

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello everyone, New here and really need some support/advice

Postby Gettingtierd » 06 Dec 2012, 07:38

Hello everyone, I am a 19 year old girl not overweight at all my BMI is 25 exactly, I have a great diet minus a few naughty bits but no takeaways ect. Okay so around 3 years ago I got IBS mainly triggered by takeaways and other foods which I immediately stop eating after an attack. This caused me to get piles which I know isn't uncommon these come and go all the time and I learnt to live with them, But now I am suffering with what I think to be fissures and piles and constipation, I'm am in alot of pain when I go and often have blood when I wipe. I have tried eating more dried fruit to make me so which works almost imedendly but then I go about 5/6 times that day and I can't hack the pain that many times. I also have been using pile supositories which do help but not enough. I'm not sure what my next step is, as this runs in my family and I know I'll be dealing with it forever. The prospect of this really brings me down. I'm just not sure what to do? or what to use? how to make things better?
Anything you have to offer I would love to hear. I really am at a loose end!
:)
Gettingtierd

Topics: 1

Re: Hello everyone, New here and really need some support/advice

Postby marg6043 » 06 Dec 2012, 07:52

Hon, you already know that is a problem and that runs in the family, interestingly I have to say that is truth, first thing is to get yourself seen by a doctor to make the right diagnostic, don't feel afraid just schedule an appointment and let the doctor look at you, then take it from there, I am not doctor but for your post and symptoms sounds just like a fissure. I also have hemorrhoids but is a big difference between a pain from fissure and pain from hemorrhoids.
I wish you the best hon and get better soon. Here you will find tons of information.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby ryrylou » 08 Dec 2012, 12:18

I agree with Marg, you really need to get this officially diagnosed. I thought I had hemorrhoids again and I was doing suppositories and such, but finally went to a colon surgeon, who correctly diagnosed me with a fissure instead. The problem is that the some of the meds for hemorrhoids are vasoconstrictors, which means they slow blood flow to allow the hemorrhoid to shrink. Using vasoconstrictors are bad for fissures though, because for them to heal they need to have more blood flow. So, what I'm saying is that if you actually have a fissure, meds for hemorrhoids are making it worse. I understand the IBS problem though. The key is focusing on a balanced diet and finding what your triggers are to try and have "normal" bowel movements once a day.
ryrylou
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby marg6043 » 08 Dec 2012, 12:46

You are so right!!!!!!!!!! ryrylou, hemorrhoid creams are actually to shrink the tissues, no help bringing blood to the area, lo and behold, no wonder I had gotten so bad, I have been using hemorrhoid cream for ages plus the prescribed anusol, for what I thought was a flare up no fissure, what a mistake, you know sometimes it takes somebody else to put two and two together to understand why something gets to the point of no return, I been doing that too, trying to go back in time to see how things got started.
Thanks.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby ryrylou » 08 Dec 2012, 13:41

Yeah, that was an eye opener for me as well. The funny part is that I work in the medical field as a radiation therapist. Most of my knowledge is cancer related though. I've learned more about anal fissures in the last few weeks than I have ever known.
ryrylou
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby marg6043 » 08 Dec 2012, 15:10

I am like that too, depending what is affecting me at the time I try to get as much information as I can to understand why is happening.
Now I am to learn about fissures, actually I am very optimistic now, I feel that I may be able to beat this stuff before having to get surgery, I am feeling a lot better, now, I still have until February 2 (that is my next appointment) to make up my mind.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby tinyb » 12 Dec 2012, 09:03

Like many, I thought my rhoids were acting up..Yesterday a CR guy diagnosed a fissure..Trying to avoid surgery with Metimucil, stool softeners and Diltiazem, but how long before the pain subsides ? I am a tough cookie, but this pain is excruciating and lasts for hours after a BM. Don't know how much more I can take..Doc said it could take 3-4 weeks to heal, but I can't take THIS for that long..HELP
tinyb

Postby marg6043 » 13 Dec 2012, 08:24

Hi, tinyb, welcome to the forum, is so much information here that is going to blow your mind, about how fissures, I see that you are already taking metimucil and have diltiazem, plus the stool softeners.
The key to control this fissures is soft, soft and very soft stools, if your problem is with constipation, (no in my case), I have been on Nitro cream since August, but by now I came to the conclusion that my problem is already chronic and I can see one of the fissures but I know that is another one hidden.
If you have a skin tag where the fissure is located usually they are call sentinel piles that is the indication of long term fissure.
I am still using the nitro, but I have learn to deal with the discomfort and to give me time to evaluate my condition and see how long can I stand the problem before going for the surgery.
Yes, I thought myself that with the pain I could not last this long, but here I am months later, I guess after a while you just get used too.
marg6043
King Fissure

Postby tinyb » 15 Dec 2012, 19:44

Thanks Margo,
It's been a week on Metimucil, Colace, lots of fiber and water and I'm still having pain with BMs. It's impossible not to strain and feels like I want to explode, the result is the size of a Kraft carmel.. I can't believe it could take so long for all this to work.
I want my life back..but I'm trying hard to be patient..Lots of support here..and good advice..Peace..
tinyb

Postby marg6043 » 15 Dec 2012, 22:11

Be careful with the metimucil, and too much fiber it tends to make your stool too bulky and that is not a good thing either for a healing fissure.
Try some coconut oil to make the passage of the stools a littler bit slippery, my doctor told me to take one tablespoon of mineral oil two times daily but I take the coconut oil instead as it taste better.
Stay away from lubricants like Prep H as they are to shrink tissue and that's what the nitro creams are to increase blood flow to the area not to stop it.
Give it time and you probably find a comfort zone that will work with you, remember that it nothing works and you are still in pain surgery is still a choice.
marg6043
King Fissure