Help! 5 days post LIS and I'm in panic :(

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Help! 5 days post LIS and I'm in panic :(

Postby Lior55 » 02 Sep 2017, 21:03

So I had the surgery on Tuesday. Pain wise it hasn't been that bad after. After the hell ive been prior to LIS, that's really nothing.
There are two main things that are bringing me down vans causing me to be anxious and depressed! The first is that I have frequent BMs that I can't control and it aggravates the fissure and causes more pain and it scares me that it will never heal like this.
The second is that everything feels so tight down there. I can't insert a finger, I'm using a Q Tip for the Nifedipine cream (CRS instructed to keep using it). I don't have the horribly spasm (prior to LIS I couldn't even insert the Q Tip) so it's obviously better but if that's so tight I can't see how healing can happen or how o won't re tear.
I'm terrified that the hell of pain prior to LIS will return soon if the fissure doesn't heal.
I feel so hopeless and scared :((
I really would like to hear from those who had LIS and similar symptoms (either the frequent BM or the extra tightness ) and actually managed to heal.
Lior55
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Help! 5 days post LIS and I'm in panic :(

Postby chachacha » 02 Sep 2017, 22:14

I didn't have frequent movements after my LIS, but there is always a great deal of swelling in the area after surgery, so I imagine that that is what is causing your tightness. I had a lot of swelling, but it lessened with time (maybe a week or two?). If you are concerned though, you should contact your doctor's office to see what they say. It is great that you're not experiencing too much pain. You are also very "early days" at this point, and things will probably improve as the next few days go by.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Lior55 » 03 Sep 2017, 08:56

Thank you so much for your comforting words. I've taken some Imodium to control the frequent BM (by doctors instructions), hope it helps.
I think it's mostly the anxiety of going back to the pre-LIS pain which was absolutely excruciating. Also reading hear about so many people doing LIS but not healing is causing me doubt and fear.
I'll need to do some deep breathing ;)
Lior55
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Tub » 03 Sep 2017, 12:04

Hi, I am 5 days post surgery also. I have been sitting on ice for the swelling.

Concerned, for you. Not been having the issues you are. Actually, have better control with reduced spasms. Still more than one BM, but suspect that will go away in time.

I am very pleased with results.
Tub

Postby ResMePlz » 06 Sep 2017, 14:43

I'm 4-5 months out and still get pain after multiple BMs. Not a lot of pain, more like an ache. 5 days out is literally nothing as far as healing. You'll make small steps to getting better over time. VERY SLOWLY in my case. I'm 90% there after 4-5 months, but the first 2 months were bad. Still better then before surgery though. I know time goes by slow as hell, but over some time you'll notice changes for the good. Just take every day one day at a time. Don't try to rush the healing, it takes quite a while. Good luck!
ResMePlz
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Mypoorbutt » 07 Sep 2017, 04:19

Hi I like you have very frequent BMs I'm on loperamide permanently to just keep me at 3 a day and amytriptiline to help slow me down as I can't take steroids for my crohns

I had a flare 5 days after my LIS and was going over 6 times a day I was in complete agony and was certain I could never heal. I was super tight down there way more so than before the op. I had to strain just to pass wind
But at 5 weeks even with the major flare and my normal frequent BMs I was 40% healed by 4 months fully healed and now 8 months later the only time I have pain is when I have a flare which is about once every six weeks.
You most definitely can and will heal even if your have lots of BMs. I was so worried, most people on here get a fissure through constipation and although they were lovely and kind and so very supportive of me in the back of my head I was thinking "but how can you know I go way too much" I very nearly worried myself into a temp colostomy. I'm so glad I waited.
Your only a few days out but it will get so much better, when you can put barrier cream up before a BM as the looser the BM the more acidic it is.
Keep taking the Imodium it can be a life saver and don't worry about how long you take it for
Super good luck you will do great
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20