Help! LIS is tomorrow and I'm feeling improvement

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Help! LIS is tomorrow and I'm feeling improvement

Postby Lior55 » 28 Aug 2017, 19:47

So quick background story- had a nasty fissure 5 years ago. After a lot of pain and agony I tired the Nifedipine cream which helped right away. I was better with in days and healed with in weeks.
This time nothing seemed to help , no cream, diet, baths, everything I tried. Pain was 24/7 so I couldn't really function (and I have young kids so functioning is important ;-)) CRS suggested surgery since everything else I'm doing is not helping. I had a super painful weekend and scheduled a surgery for Friday. This morning they tell me they have an opening tomorrow if I want. I was excited to get it over with and said yes right away. I couldn't live like this for much longer...
Now it is evening and I'm noticing that I didn't have a very bad day, in fact maybe the best I had so far, also not excruciating painful after BM like it's usually is and I can spend a bit more time on my feet. There's still pain of course, and painful spasm but not the hell I was in for the past two weeks. So I'm staring to think- is it just a fluke or maybe the Nifedipine is finally working? Maybe I'm finally starting to heal?
But I have a a surgery scheduled for noon tomorrow. I don't want to go through the surgery if it's not absolutely necessary. But then again I don't want to reschedule/cancel and then things go back to being the usual hell its been and I regret it. Not to mention getting my CRS pissed probably.
Am I just losing my mind? Did I schedule a surgery too soon? Should I have given it more time?
Your thoughts will be highly appreciated!
Lior55
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Help! LIS is tomorrow and I'm feeling improvement

Postby dmcff » 29 Aug 2017, 04:52

I think the decision is in your hands. You have a right to reschedule or cancel the procedure depending on how you are feeling, and if you feel that you can still manage your fissure with conservative methods, it's perfectly okay for you to do so.

David
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Re: Help! LIS is tomorrow and I'm feeling improvement

Postby Lior55 » 02 Sep 2017, 20:37

Thanks David, the next morning I was in so much pain that it was easy to decide to go ahead with the surgery. I'm now recovering but having some hard time. Will probably post about it separately.
Lior55
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6