Hemmies & Fissures

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Hemmies & Fissures

Postby Jen » 31 Mar 2008, 20:56

Hey everyone!
I need some advise from people that know a thing or two on hemmies (Lecia :) ).
I went to CRS #2 today. I was crying - I just get so emotional over all of this. He looked at my fissure and actually said I had 2 of them, but they are both small - I didn't even know about the second one! I told him I get reoccuring fissures all the time and I have no spasms. He says this is because I have internal hemmies that are causing swelling and pressure in the anal canal, and hence its the hemmies that are causing the fissures. I have an appointment in 3 weeks to get the hemmies removed by the rubber band treatment.
I agree with him that I have internal hemmies - most people do. But can these cause anal swelling? When I picture a hemmie - I picture a vein prolapsing from someone's bum. After some bowel movements, half my anus just swells very large and it is not painful. It goes down to regular size in a couple minutes. Is this what hemmies are? I always pictures a big blue vein. I am worried that the swelling is from another cause. Any advise on this?
Has anyone ever had this rubber band treatment? Can this procedure cause fissures? Why do some people get the rubber banding and some people have the entire collum removed like Lecia?
The doctor also told me to stop using the nifedipine and start with the nitro. Has anyone used both? Is one better than the other?
I just felt weird about the whole appointment - I came in wanting LIS and I left with a hemmie surgery! Image
So, In your opinion is this doctor a total quack or it there truth in the fact that hemmies cause fissures? I just don't want to get an unnessesary procedure done.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Re: Hemmies & Fissures

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2008, 09:00

Hi Jen-

Just a quick note. I went to one CRS for my fissure and he told me that I too had a lot of internal hemms. He suggested that I have a 2nd LIS and the hemms removed. I ended up going for a second opinion in NYC and told him what this other doc said. He completely disagreed. He said I could have hemms the size of golf balls, but as long as they are causing no symptoms that he wouldn't touch them. While having my LIS I asked what mine looked like. He said, yes I have them, as does everyone, but they were not an issue. He also said that they would not cause a fissure or have any bearing on it.

I was really concerned after what the first doctor said, which is why I went to 2 more docs after that. I didn't want to have anything done unnecessarily. Like my NYC doc said, he could go in and "pretty things up", but nobody will notice!! Are your hemms causing problems?

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2008, 09:17

Sorry I have been gone for awhile. I went in for a checkup on the abscess I had and it had turned into a fistula so I had surgery on Friday. I am recovering from that so I won't be around much, but when I see my name asking for direct help, I can't refuse, now, can I? :)

I think what your doctor says makes sense. Your hemorrhoids could be placing more stress in the anal canal. Do they hurt at all? Hemorrhoidal tissue can swell and make your bottom look swollen. It only looks bluish purple when you have a thrombosed (a hemmie with a clot) hemorrhoid. Banding is pretty benign and very well tolerated. I have had 15 of them. They can be very effective but mine were so far gone that it didn't work for very long and I had to get the nasty one removed. Plus it kept thrombosing and ruining my life. I would say it wouldn't hurt to try. You will feel some tenderness for a day like your bottom is bruised inside but a warm bath and advil will help with that. It takes all of a few seconds to do. You will feel some tugging and you might notice right away that you have less swelling dropping into your anus.

I can't say for sure that is what is contributing to the fissures but I can see why the doctor might suggest that.

Postby buttgirl » 01 Apr 2008, 09:43

MY dr too said everyone has internal hemmies. My current CRS is of the opinion that LIS will help hemmies b/c it decreases pressure. There has been research to support this too.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Cinderella » 01 Apr 2008, 11:34

Jen, your situation is so similar than mine.
I was also told that I have two superficial AFs and internal hemorrhoids. I had rubber band ligation and the procedure was not bad at all but I had horrible pain 1,5 days afterwards. I went to work but I was not able to concentrate on anything. I should have taken sick leave for two days.
After the procedure I felt better than ever for one week. After that my AF became extremely painful. Then I saw my CRS again and he said that is likely that the pressure in anal canal increases after hemorrhoid procedures and that makes the AF situation worse. All in all he recommended that AFs should be always treated before hemorrhoids. I just did not want to have LIS at the beginning. Then he also said that people who have AFs are usually also suffering of hemorrhoids. High anal pressure is one cause of hemorrhoids. Hopefully you will feel btter soon.
Lecia, I am so sorry to hear of your surgery. You have gone through so much and always been so supportive for everyone. I wish you will heal quickly.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2008, 12:33

Thank you Cinderella! I sure hope this is it-I don't know how much more I can take! Image

I hope the RBL works for you. I am sure there is inflammation after the procedure so that could temporarily make the fissure worse.

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2008, 12:38

Lecia - hope you feel better real soon!! Will this insanity ever stop????? Image

Postby Guest » 01 Apr 2008, 12:49

Thank you-I hope you heal quickly and can make peace with your butt too! Image

Postby val » 01 Apr 2008, 13:30

Lecia, I'm so glad you're home and got through the operation. How are you? I wish you all the luck in the world to get better soon.

Jen, about hemmies causing fissures- I always thought that my fissure was caused by a thrombosed one which burst.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Fissulyna » 01 Apr 2008, 14:38

Lecia baby - I can't believe you are posting after all that you went through past weekend :( :( :( - you are truly an angel, most giving and the strongest person I know.
May God bless you in every way and may you heal fast and forever Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61