Hemorrhoids after LIS

Advice needed

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Hemorrhoids after LIS

Postby Worrier12345 » 19 Nov 2014, 09:40

Hi all,

Its been about 10 days since my LIS and I think I'm having some problems with piles. The LIS seems to have worked - I've had little bleeding since the op, my bowel movements are much easier.

However, it seems that the op really aggravated my hemorrhoids. My surgeon told me I had piles when he checked me out a few weeks before surgery, he was going to inject the with something, but I was in too much pain when he inserted the scope, due to sphincter spasm, so he left them.

I don't recall having too much trouble with my piles before surgery - from time to time my anus would be little more red and swollen I suppose but that's about it. Since LIS, however, my anus is unrecognisable, with bulging hemorrhoids that are making it very difficult to keep the area clean.

I've been in contact with my surgeon and he just said to take baths, painkillers if needed and go to GP if they don't calm down.

Do you guys have any experience with piles after LIS? My BMs are easy, no straining, so I'd thought they would have gone down after a few days, but they are still here. How long do you think they will take to go? Do hemorrhoids always disappear after a while or do they become permanent? I thought LIS would help piles as there's definitely less pressure down there now. If they do go away, what are the chances of them staying gone?

I'd appreciate any advice - if it weren't for these damn piles I think the end of my 2 year battle with anal problems would be in sight.

Thanks in advance to any of you who can help me out.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Hemorrhoids after LIS

Postby msimon » 19 Nov 2014, 17:11

Is it possible that what you are seeing is still just swelling from the surgery? DH says I am very swollen down there but that it's not hemorhoids but rather surrounding tissue (it's bruised too).

Maybe give it a little more time for everything to settle down (I have heard it can take up to 2 months for the swelling to go down after LIS) but then I would follow up with your Doc if they persist. Or another one if you must.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Worrier12345 » 20 Nov 2014, 04:12

Thanks for the reply msimon, I hope I your recovery has improved.

I'm pretty sure it's piles as the swelling is at the right anterior and both sides posterior and it is red/purple - the incision was made on the left, there doesn't seem to be much swelling at the incision area. So im pretty sure that it's piles. Where is your swelling after LIS?

Does anybody have any more advice for my initial questions? It would really be helpful as the piles don't seem to be getting better.

Many thanks.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Postby hopefulbutt » 20 Nov 2014, 10:20

Worrier- I get piles Every time I get anal surgery which unfortunately has been often for me lately. Some will just go away on its on time because of the swelling and some of it could be from an injection site. When I found help for me particularly was the herb Rutin. That seems to shrink and pretty fast. Good luck
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Postby Worrier12345 » 20 Nov 2014, 12:57

Thanks for your reply hopeful.

I'm having problems with not being able to clean well after a BM and small bits of stool leaking out for hours afterwards.

At the moment I can't work out whether it is due to thr hemorrhoid swelling or its because my anus doesnt close properly after the sphincterotomy.

I know that either could be causing it and that it could go away in a couple of weeks but I'm really worried that this is going to be a long term result of my LIS. I know I need to wait and see what happens but I feel really down about it at the moment.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 22 Nov 2014, 00:14

My swelling is on the left side (LIS side) and it feels like the whole side wall is just hard and puffed out and downward. I don't think it's hemmies as DH says not and I am too afraid to look. He says it looks bruised, like the surrounding area. Anyone have any idea how long it will be until this subsides? It's driving me mad. Had LIS on the 13th. Difficult to poop and pass gas.

Do you think it wold be okay to put hydrocortisone on it?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby hopefulbutt » 22 Nov 2014, 14:40

Msimon the swelling is normal and will get better on a few weeks. I wouldn't put hydrocortisone down there yet. Try over the counter anti flamitory like Advil to help. Still way early to see f you are too loose. I thought I was too loose too in the beginning but 6 weeks out and I wish I was that loose again. Just try and take a day at a time. As for the extra stool after you go- have you tried using a gentle shower head after bm to make sure you are nice and clean? Otherwise it may get better after swellig subsides.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40