Hey Ya'll, Newbie Here!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hey Ya'll, Newbie Here!

Postby Coonbottom Barbie » 06 Dec 2010, 15:07

Hey Ya'll, been reading some great information here as well as getting a few much needed laughs. This is something that makes me feel embarassed and I hadn't realized so many others are dealing with the same thing! Been using the Nitro ointment and it's done nothing but give me a rapid heartbeat and pounding headache. Saw the general surgeon and now I'm scheduled for surgery....let the fun begin!
Coonbottom Barbie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Hey Ya'll, Newbie Here!

Postby Coonbottom Barbie » 06 Dec 2010, 15:11

Also, what is the Botox I've heard about? Is that to help tighten the rectum/anus back up after surgery???
Coonbottom Barbie
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2010, 15:21

Welcome to the forum coonbottom! Love the name,Lol
Botox is an option that is given instead of surgery. It's suppose to loosen/ relax the anal sphincter like LIS- does but isn't as successful as LIS (surgery), although it can work. Many people try it before having LIS to see if they can heal their fissure with a less invasive procedure. I chose the surgery. I'm 7 weeks post op tomorrow and very happy I had it done.
Good Luck w/ your procedure and let us know how it goes!
Last edited by Guest on 06 Dec 2010, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cagirl » 06 Dec 2010, 21:56

Welcome CB! I'm rather new here myself too. I just had LIS 4 days ago and am doing well.
When is your surgery scheduled?
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 07 Dec 2010, 00:39

Dang. More competition in the "best username race" LOL. Welcome to the boards CoonBottom!
How long have you had your fissure? A lot of us had ours for a long time before finally getting surgery. For the vast majority of folks, it's the right decision. And yeah, I was surprised at what a common problem it is, too. I guess it's not something folks talk about much in "real life" but boy is it nice to talk to other people who know what it's like having one of these stupid things huh?
Hope you'll let us know more about how things are going for you and stick around. Great bunch of folks here who would be more than happy to help you with any questions about have regarding surgery, I'm sure :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Coonbottom Barbie » 07 Dec 2010, 14:34

Thanks Dawn, I'm glad you are healing well and things went great. One thing I am not finding, is how long will I need to be out from work??
Coonbottom Barbie
Fibre Addict

Postby Coonbottom Barbie » 07 Dec 2010, 14:36

So glad to hear it Cagirl!! As of now I am scheduled for 1-4-11, not exactly the way I wanted to start my new year!!
Coonbottom Barbie
Fibre Addict

Postby Coonbottom Barbie » 07 Dec 2010, 14:42

Hey Guy, thanks!! Well for about the past 8 months I've been battling what I thought was an extreme case of hemmorhoids. Took my stool softeners, sitz baths, medicated ointments and was in pure pain! Finally went to see my doc cuz I couldn't deal with it anymore. Sitting, laying, walking...it all hurts! Not to mention it interfering with my sex life and that's a doozy when you're trying to have a baby...lol.
Doc gave me the Nitroglycerin ointment that only gave me the side effects, no relief. When I checked in he said he was gonna go ahead and refer me to a general surgeon. Got there, and he said oh yea, got yourself a pretty large tear. I also have the darn skin tags that he said was scar tissus from the bottom trying to heal itself.
Thanks for your kindness as you are correct in it's not something you can feel comfortable about!!
Coonbottom Barbie
Fibre Addict

Postby Coonbottom Barbie » 07 Dec 2010, 14:44

So what should I expect from the surgery? Were you under general anesthesia?? Anything you wish you had known before or afterwards that you learned later on? What amount of time should I be out of work?
Coonbottom Barbie
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 07 Dec 2010, 17:22

Coonbottom,
I think the majority of people need to be off work for about 2 weeks. It may be less or it may be more for you since we all heal differently. It also depends on exactly what they do down there. For instance someone who just has LIS may heal faster than someone who has a fissurectomy and LIS or a skin tag removed with LIS. It's really hard to say for sure how long but I think two weeks would be a safe bet.
I can't say I was surprised or learned anything I didn't already read on this board, except it ended up not being as bad as I had imagined....There's a lot of good info. on here that will give you somewhat of an idea of what to expect. I was mainly sore, but no fissure pain since the day of surgery.
I was sedated before numbing shots were put in my rear, didn't feel a thing. It depends on your CRS how you will be put to sleep and that would be a really good question before you have the procedure to ask your CRS/ General Surgeon.