How big are most anal fissures?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How big are most anal fissures?

Postby Runnerman » 01 Jul 2010, 19:02

I cant tell how big mine is but I would say its 3cm deep. Is that normal. I guess its hard to messure it. Do the CRS tell you when your done with the LIS?
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: How big are most anal fissures?

Postby Runnerman » 01 Jul 2010, 19:03

Opps that was 3 cm long. I cant tell how deep as I dont want to stretch it out.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 02 Jul 2010, 00:08

I do not know what is the average size of a fissure :roll:
Mine were described as "medium" to "medium-small" and I never asked for exact mm length. I saw one of them on the photo taken during the colonoscopy and I would say it was less than 1 cm (10 mm) long :roll:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Jul 2010, 11:38

I was told that mine was 3-5 cm by two different CRS and that it was considered medium-large. I didn't ask for a "measurement" until it was about 9 months old, so I dunno if it started off bigger or smaller than that though.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Runnerman » 02 Jul 2010, 14:09

Thanks N/G. I'm so worried about my fissure. I have the LIS next week and I'm a mess. I cant sleep. I worry about it being cancer. The doctor said it didnt look like that to him last month. But i still want a bio opsy done on it.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 02 Jul 2010, 14:48

Runnerman,
Be sure to let us know how everything transpires. Best wishes for a successful outcome!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 02 Jul 2010, 15:47

Hey Runnerman, why the specific concern over cancer? Just curious. Anal fissures suck real bad but they're almost never how cancer presents. Unless there's some other history here, I wouldn't worry too much about that possibility. Honestly if a fissure were a presentation of some other disease, it'd more likely be either Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. Doesn't mean it's not possible to be a sign of cancer, of course, but biopsies aren't fun either and shouldn't be done unless there's some strong suspicion...
BTW don't get me wrong, it's 100% normal to be worried about both the fissure and LIS. When my fissure was real bad and I had a lot of bleeding during BMs, I was very worried that it was colon cancer. I had a colonoscopy and an abdominopelvic CT scan done just to make sure there wasn't anything else going on. Also, LIS was my first surgery ever and I was totally freaked out in the days leading up to it. The day of the procedure my anxiety was completely through the roof and I kept debating whether I should show up or not.
I guess what I'm saying is that being real worried is perfectly normal, but you've already got an injury there, please be careful about getting biopsies done unless there's a real good reason to.
When is your surgery BTW? Sorry if you mentioned it before and I missed it. If thinking about it is messing with your sleep real bad there are anti-anxiety drugs your doctor can give you for short term use in the days leading up to it. Also, if you're just freaking out once you arrive at the surgery center, you can ask the anesthesiologist to give you IV sedatives (normally Versed) early.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Runnerman » 02 Jul 2010, 21:10

There are alot of cancers in my family history so i worry. I also worry because the pain is SO bad I feel like i have been punched down there at times. Other times i feel a little stinging and sometimes nothing at all. But its getting worse instead of better. I also have pain in my legs groin area. 3 months ago i was running and training for marathons now im walking around in circles and some days I cant even sit at work.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Jul 2010, 01:22

I see why you wold be worried *sigh : ((( But, it is always better to investigate and than proceed as necessary.
It is also better to have a biopsy while asleep during the LIS and do it all at once . They will take a tiny sample and the cut will not be bigger than a regular fissurectomy which they should do anyway if there is some scar tissue there so fissure can close nicely and fast.
Did you mention that you have lymph- nodes swollen in your groin area ??? Please ask for aspiration biopsy of them too if they last more than 4-6 weeks !!!!
Do not worry too much about a LIS ; ) ! I had 2 and both times they were really nothing in comparison with a fissure pain and suffering !
Best of luck with it all Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Runnerman » 03 Jul 2010, 10:30

I was told that if the lymph nodes dont got down or get bigger in the 4-6 weeks to have them checked out. I have some in my neck that have always been there. And the ones in my upper leg/groin area havent gotten any bigger they are about size of peas, Kinda the same as in my neck only bigger but they say thats normal for groin area. I never thought to check them until I had this fissure then i started checking every thing on my body at all times. They did give me a blood test when I asked about the lymph nodes. If the fissure biopsy is bad then i will for sure will have them check everything out.
Runnerman
Fibre Addict