How did magnesium work for you?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How did magnesium work for you?

Postby Please go-away! » 23 Jun 2013, 21:30

well it cant hurt, I will talk to my Gastro Doc or G.P, for suggestions and dosage, but in the meanwhile, I will get the Weber Naturals 150 ml, and start out with one at nite , since I already eat a lot of rich magnesium foods.
I had a terrible day today..so much spasms and pain..because I was blocked up..last nite I went to my sisters for a barbecue, they made me a veggie burger, and it plugged me up, plus we ate late, maybe.
Its not her fault, yet she feels bad..so this morning I had to take a few teaspoons of lacto- loose( that syrupy  thick liquid), worked to unplug me, but with sever spasms of pain finally ending about 6:00 p.m...:( 
I hope this works..take care every one.
Fissure fighter
Please go-away!
King Fissure

Topics: 15

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 23 Jun 2013, 23:31

I do find magnesium helpful as a supplement to my diet and regimen.  I prefer it to other stool softeners and Miralax.  I take it as part of a mult-vitamin (250 mg) or on it's own 300 mg.  I tend towards stools that vary, from too 'dry' to too loose.  Wonderful for the AF!  Plenty of water and veggies/fruit are better, but mag as part of it seems to help, ....I think....
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 24 Jun 2013, 16:18

I'm interested in this thread!
I've been recommended to taper off Miralax to help my bowels not to be so dependent on it. But, at 3 doses/ day (plus an almost full-out smoothie & salad diet), I get a 3 on the stool scale that I can't handle.
How does magnesium compare to Miralax? Will it create a bowel dependency too? If taken long-term (like several months), will you gradually need to take more and more (as with some laxatives?)?
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby Kreaybutt » 24 Jun 2013, 16:39

Nmfa- I think your diet may be the reason your not having ideal stools. Salad and smoothies isn't enough, IMO. I've found that the more I eat (whole meal, chicken, fruit, veggies, nuts the softer my stools are and more regular. As for the magnesium, ill see how it starts working for me and let y'all know!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 24 Jun 2013, 16:54

I do eat a lot of fibre, and I've never, and still don't, have any issues with regularity. My diet also includes a lot of beans, oat bran, and nuts, but ya, a ton of it is also veggie-fruit smoothies and salads. I've had a lot of time to experiment with food, and I don't think that's the issue. All I can think is that maybe my body's become way too dependent on Miralax, so I can't make soft stools on my own anymore. (Thanks to taking my first doctor's advice).
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Postby Katietrombone » 30 Jun 2013, 14:02

I started magnesium supplements a week ago and they made a huge difference in softness and consistency of my stools. All stools of the day are softer. I am on medicine for high blood pressure that includes some diuretic, so I suspect water was passing through me without absorbing into the bowels. Even with softer bowel movements, I sometimes feel an unsuccessful urge to poo....
Katietrombone
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Ouchie78 » 01 Jul 2013, 03:36

Just to add in - I take 400mg in the morning after breakfast and 200-400mg Solgar magnesium citrate evening before bed depending on how things are going down below.
This has been the only thing that has worked for me. I have no side effects apart for the yellow urine, some times the bm gets a bit too loose, but that helps even more for me.It also makes me really regular. Just like clockwork. I get up have my coffee and then it's time.
Ouchie78

Topics: 1

Postby Kreaybutt » 18 Aug 2013, 07:37

Can someone help with this? I've been off of mirilax for a week now. I immediately started taking magnesium oxide 400 mg. the first few days were amazing, soft long full stools. I'm bet regular, I go as soon as I wake up and after breakfast. For the past 4 days my first BM has been very hard to get out. It's not hard stool but it feels as is it's too hard too large to come out in its own, I have to push a little where I never had to with mirilax. My second BM is perfect, soft and exits easily. So why is my first BM so hard? I'm afraid I'm going to re tear my healed AF's :( should I take a diff mag mg? Thanks for any tips I'd help!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 22 Aug 2013, 12:34

Kreaybutt-- I don't know if this is exactly your issue or not, but I found that even if I was totally regular at once every morning, the beginning of my BM was always a bit too firm, no matter what I ate. I've just recently tried training my body to go more often, thinking that the initial part of the BM was probably there hours ago and waiting while the colon absorbed more and more water from it. Every evening at about the same time I squat on the toilet and wait, sometimes ten minutes or so, and I'm usually not disappointed. If during the day I have even the slightest urge to go, I make it a priority to go as soon as I can. This way, nothing waits for too long to exit, and all my BM's start smoothly now. I now go two-three times a day, and having an evening BM makes a big difference in my morning BM. I also began to take organic probiotic yogurt daily, ideally with every meal. There are a couple of organisms in high quality yogurt that help the flora in the colon to do its job!
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Postby Kreaybutt » 22 Aug 2013, 14:32

Notmuchfunanymore-where do you get your yogurt and what is the brand? I've actually been wondering if it'd be better if I went more often. I use to go after every meal pre pregnancy now it's just twice in the am. Maybe prebiotic a could get me a little more regular? I don't get any urges to go throughout the day or evening. It's like my body only knows how to go at the exact same times every day. Weird!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist