How to use nitroglycerin ointment?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: How to use nitroglycerin ointment?

Postby cherylk » 14 Aug 2009, 17:20

Try more Miralax!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 15 Aug 2009, 04:01

Yea up that miralax, NG !
The anaesthetic does seems to slow things down a little...
Good news you have an earlier appointment, just hang on in there Image
My fingers are crossed !

Postby sidra1968 » 15 Aug 2009, 09:12

Awesome on the earlier appointment!! You'll be better in no time! You can use my line with them..."surgery or death!" Tell them you're not leaving the office (literally) without a surgery date. Keep us updated, please!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Aug 2009, 18:55

I agree with Cheryl and Tabby, going up in the Miralax should help offset the Percocet constipation, hopefully! Fingers are crossed there! And I join in with Sidra in thinking how awesome it is you are getting an earlier appointment. Now I may be wrong, but I think you'll get authorization for either procedure. It's really going to come down to what the surgeon indicates. If it is botox, I hope it works for you.
If you haven't already, I think you should review the botox posts and threads here and get a good feel through our boardies' experience. Keep in mind that we have seen several cases that still required LIS, so if your CRS leans that way (LIS) keep an open mind in that direction.
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 15 Aug 2009, 19:15

Kim/NG,
Tabby and I are the Miralax (and IBS) experts! :roll:
Cute pic, Kim!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 15 Aug 2009, 19:27

Thank you everyone. I can't stress enough how grateful I am for all of you. I will keep you all posted, thank you so much for being so sympathetic toward some random dude who just whines all the time.
I tried keeping the Miralax the same (full dose per day) and for some reason it gave me abdominal cramps and diarrhea today. Have had to go poop 6 times already, and I can feel it's not over yet, it's just a little bit of watery stool every time. Weird. I'm not sure where the heck my balance between hard/soft stool lies, I just wish it would all exit in one or two BMs at once as opposed to over a whole bunch of small but super urgent ones that torment me dall thru the day Image
I think I am going with whatever the surgeon can do first. If it's botox then I'll try that. If it's quicker to get LIS then I'm doing that. I don't care anymore, each day is becoming more and more hellish, I'm completely housebound at this point.
The questions I have so far to ask the surgeon are:
* Can botox be ordered on short order (like next week)?
* Can LIS be ordered on short order as well?
* Should I get a colonoscopy to check for Crohn's or ulcerative colitis first, or should I wait until the fissure is somehow contained?
* If I do have Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, does that change how we go about treating my fissure?
Once I know the answers, I think my path forward will be clear. Basically, if I'm told that LIS is my best bet, regardless of whether I have some other bowel disease, then I'm almost certainly going to opt for LIS. Enough is enough. I'm on a diet of only boiled cabbage and broccoli everyday now and am strung out on valium and percocet all day, with the occasional nitro headache, so I can barely tell you what day or time it is.
Sometimes physicians are so hard to deal with. In the ER, the doctor knew exactly the kind of severe pain that fissures can cause (guess I got lucky), was very sympathetic, and immediately explained that he should put me under to check for absesses, ulcers, and anything more sinister that could explain the pain. No absesses found, but he did find those ulcers. No other physician I've seen even considered doing a more thorough investigation, it was always ""eat more fiber and drink lots of water"!!! When I'd asked for painkillers before, all they did was tell me to take some ibuprofen or tylenol, which I'll tell you right now, didn't even begin to touch the pain! I don't know if the ER doc I got actually personally suffered a fissure before or what, but he sure seemed to know a lot about them (including the fact that my fissure was 5 degrees off the typical location which warrants screeing for bowel disease) and was the only one willing to send me home with "fissure strength" painkiller; it doesn't fully cover up the pain, but it sure does worlds more than stupid OTC stuff every did!
Last edited by NeuropathicGuy on 15 Aug 2009, 19:43, edited 2 times in total.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 15 Aug 2009, 19:37

Oh and Sidra, I agree, I'm going to demand a roadmap forward when I see the surgeon. My wife is driving me there which will help. Truthfully speaking, I'm not always an easy dude to like upon first appearance, I wear baggy pants and have tattoos all over my arms and body (not gang related, just a big body art fan), and sometimes I think that gets me the short end of the stick as far as sympathy. My wife is a tiny, petite, and very sweet, and she's 8 months pregnant with twins so she looks like she'll pop any second now, and I've noticed that people give her more sympathy. She's good at not taking bullsh*t and will definitely make some demands on my behalf too :) I guess it's a bit of a lesson in human nature, I used to be kind of bitter about the way it all works, but I can't be too mad, after all many prejudices in life help keep us safe Image
And Cheryl, Tabby, now that I know who the Miralax experts are around here, I may have to bug you guys even more! Image When Colace didn't do squat for me, I tried Miralax, and it worked way better. But a lot of times I have trouble "harnessing the power" of this beast called Miralax, so dosing is a challenge for me. It seems to have vastly different levels of efficacy depending on what I ate, meat (which I've stopped eating these days for the most part) it barely puts a dent in, salads it turns right into water, etc. It's the only stool softener that works reliably for me, but getting any kind of consistent poop consistency from day to day seems darn near impossible. First things first, though, for now I'm taking a full dose (17g) per day until I get the courage to experiment with it some more.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 16 Aug 2009, 05:03

NG,
You might try DIVIDING your dosages. That works better for me. I take mine @ 2:00 pm and then at bedtime. More ability to adjust the amount that way (twice daily). Is your wife Chinese also? Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Aug 2009, 06:24

Hey Cheryl, my wife is Filipino. A lot more Filipino than I am Chinese truth be told :) I came to the US (Missouri) with my parents when I was 2 years old, and my wife only came here (California) after finishing high school in the Philippines.
I currently take half a dose of Miralax after lunch and half a dose after dinner (I don't eat breakfast -- never have). I think what I have to consider more carefully when dosing is what I ate. So far I've been taking the same amount of Miralax regardless of whether I ate salad or fish. I'm thinking of trying less for easy-to-digest foods and more for high protein foods. But mostly I'm trying to eat as little as possible and using valium and oxycodone to cover the pain until the CRS authorizes me for one of the more invasive treatments.
And dang you wake up early :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 16 Aug 2009, 07:15

My husband gets up for golf, and we are 2 hours ahead of you!! Maybe you could try drinking Ensure??
cherylk
VIP