I have a couple questions

Fissures and hemroids question

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

I have a couple questions

Postby Unclesamster » 30 Oct 2016, 01:15

So I had back surgery 3 weeks ago and my wife had a baby a few days later, all while I'm working on my masters online, it has been very stressful. All the pain killers made very constipated and I eventually had a few very painful bowel movements followed up a little later byears a day of diahria. I quit the drugs as soon as I had those painful BMs. Apparently I had a fissure from the BM, which was diagnosed 3 weeks after surgery, which was about 2 weeks after the painful BM's. It was very painful, which was why I went to the doctor, but it has gotten much worse over the weekend. I went into the insticare today by they just gave me another prescription and didn't do any examining other than look at it. My original doctor said that my swelling was just from the fissure, but the swelling is on the left side of the anus, stating at the base and runs from the front to back, a few inches, and has swelled out more into the butt cheek. He also said I have some external and internal hemroids, but I have never had hemroids that hurt like this. This is the most painful thing I've experienced, including my back surgeries. I spend most my time laying in bed or the bath tub, but it hurts so bad to roll over in bed and get out, and to squat is becoming early impossible. I can't bend, twist, reach over my head, or lift more than 5-10 pounds, which makes the situation worse. I was curious how painful a fissure can be, or how painful internal hemroids if that's what all the swelling is from. I have been given some hydrocortizone acetate suppositories and a perscription for nitro glycerin (or something that sounds like that) but all my pharmacies are out until late Monday. I have also trues lidocaine with no releif. Do I need to be worried about an abcess, or should I push the doctor to do something more? I'm afraid I might just be over reacting and this is completely normal, I hate to ask the doctor to many questions or tell them what I found on the Internet haha. Just a side note, it feels like it hurts into my left testicle too, if that makes any difference. Sorry for the long post, and I don't even know if it's the right place, but I just had to post sone thing and hope for some feedback. I typed this all on my phone so I could still lay down, so sorry it's typed so poorly.
Unclesamster

Topics: 1

Re: I have a couple questions

Postby Mypoorbutt » 30 Oct 2016, 04:15

Hi, sorry to hear your suffering.
In answer fissure pain is the worst I have experienced including years of IBD dislocated joint kidney stones and childbirth nothing can compare to the all consuming agony of the spasms from a fissure.
But having said that if you feel there is more going on down there then I would advise you to go back as it's your body and if the doc didn't even look then that's not great. I have never had an abscess so don't know the symptoms but would guess pus swelling temperature...
I truly hope you get some relief the cream you have got GTN should ease the spasms, so hopefully you can get that on there soon.
Good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby LemonMan » 30 Oct 2016, 05:05

Hi Unclesamster,

Sorry to hear about your pain, but congratulations on your baby at least. Doctors sometimes conciously make the dicision not to examine a fissure because any digital examination could render the patient in incredible pain. To be fair to them it's difficult to tell the difference between an abscess and a hemorrhoid at the early stages and you normally would need a scan in my experience if an abscess is suspected. If at any point you start to run a fever, then that is a clear sign of an abscess and you need to get to hospital ASAP.

As you have been diagnosed with a fissure then I would treat that as a first step. That means keeping your stools as soft as possible. I'd also advise hot baths to ease the pain at this stage.

Yes, fissure pain can be the most incredibly intense pain, and can last many hours after a bowel movement. It can also kick in a couple of hours after a bowel movement.

A fissure can be anywhere in the anal canal, but is usually posteria (i.e. at the 6 o'clock position) probably 90% of the time.

Nitroglycerin ointment is one of a couple of options, and needs to be used for at least eight weeks. There are side effects in some patients (headaches), but if you can tolerate it you should use if for a full eight weeks. Don't stop.

See the below links for what I have found to be the best summary of treatment on the internet:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anal-fissu ... ction.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anal-fissu ... tment.aspx

Hope your situation improves and you can enjoy some time with your baby :-)

LemonMan
Last edited by LemonMan on 31 Oct 2016, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby Unclesamster » 30 Oct 2016, 14:21

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement, that means a lot. I'm also glad that I'm not overreacting when I say this has been the worst experience of my life. The pain is excruciating and constant, there isn't a huge difference after bowel movements, but the actual BM is pure hell. Baths used to help somewhat, but there is nothing that offers any relief at this point. I have a check up on Tuesday and I'm to the point that something has to be done. I can't sit down, walk, or sleep, and I constantly feel shaky and nauseous.
Unclesamster

Postby Mypoorbutt » 30 Oct 2016, 14:33

Have you started the GTN cream yet...I was ready to end it before I got my cream now it blooming hurts still but I can function. Could you get seen tomorrow at all
Mypoorbutt

Postby Unclesamster » 30 Oct 2016, 14:54

My prescription for nitroglycerin ointment will be filled Monday, no one in town had it in Stock. I don't know if it's the same as GTN. That's good to hear it helped you, I hope it could do the same for me too. I'm so tempted to take some of my narcotics from back surgery with some stool softeners, but I'm terrified of the chance of constipation.
Unclesamster

Postby Mypoorbutt » 30 Oct 2016, 15:49

Yes that's the same cream I had, I really hope it does work for you it truly saved my sanity. I haven't been without it for a year now I have tried and the spasms come straight back.
Do you tend to get constipated a lot from the painkillers because if it's just tonight before you get the cream it might be worth risking it. I'm not good at that as I rarely get constipated my issue is the other way I'm afraid.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Unclesamster » 31 Oct 2016, 02:08

So I'm a little confused. My primary doctor, whom I saw Thursday, told me all the selling was from my fissure. Then I saw an Instacare doctor Saturday night who told me the swelling was internal hemroids. Tonight I was soaking in the tub and the pressure felt relieved and the pain decreased. There was a fair amount of blood and puss that came out. I can't tell where it burst. I feel 100 times better. It is now just painful rather than completely debilitating. This leads me to think that the swelling is an abcess. Am I okay to wait 9 or so hours till my doctor can hopefully see me?
Unclesamster

Postby LemonMan » 31 Oct 2016, 14:32

Hi Unclesamster,

I'm glad you're getting some relief! Phew!

There could be a few things going on here. Here's my view, but bear in mind you are talking to someone on the internet...

Having had an abscess myself, when there is puss involved it sounds very much the case that this is an abscess. You might be lucky in that it has burst and that is the end of it, but you *might* also have a fistula. This is an abscess that has made an abnormal connection from inside the rectum to the outside somewhere. You need to get this checked because the abscess will heal over and you will end up in a repeat cycle of heal, rupture, heal, rupture. Don't worry too much though - I have been there, and there are some good medical procedures to resolve this.

It you can afford it, I might advise a private consultation with a CRS - just to get a proper diagnosis. I did this, and in my case it was money well spent.

Otherwise I would explain to your Doc that you were in excruciating pain that then subsided after you noticed blood and puss, and you want to rule out an abscess and *worst case" a fistual.

Good luck and keep us posted :-)
LemonMan
Last edited by LemonMan on 31 Oct 2016, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
LemonMan
VIP

Postby LemonMan » 31 Oct 2016, 14:38

Oh, and to answer your question - as long as you don't have a fever it shouldn't be life threatening :-) So you should be okay to wait to see your Doc. A fever would be the result of puss entering your bloodstream, which could result in sepsis. As long as you are feeling well in that regard you should be okay.

LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here