I Need to Gain Weight

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

I Need to Gain Weight

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 25 Jul 2007, 09:48

I've heard other people mention how they've lost weight, and so have I. Two months ago, I weighed 175/180. Today I weigh 153. And I'm 6'4". So this is not good, and I need to gain some weight pronto because it's beginning to affect my nervous system.
I stopped eating meat/dairy, and now I eat a lot of whole grains, veggies, and some fruits. I don't eat small portions either. I'm just not getting enough calories.
I'm going to re-introduce meat/dairy unless I find a healthier alternative to gaining/maintaining weight.
Just curious if anyone has any suggestions...
Thanks!
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Re: I Need to Gain Weight

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2007, 10:07

Steve,
I have lost weight also. May 18 I weighed 182 now I am down to 159. I am only 5'3 so I had it to lose. I was chubby. I can't give you any advice on what to eat but I will be interested to see what people have to say. I eat chicken I never cut that out but my portions are small. I eat beans with rice too. We still have to have some protein I would think.
Patty

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Jul 2007, 10:08

It may be something you'd want to consult your doctor about, Steve.
I wonder if weight gain powder would be a possibility? Maybe a milkshake everyday or every other day.
Yes, you are too skinny right now, and I agree you should gain about 10-12 pounds.
I googled "healthy ways to gain weight" and got lots of hits!
Here's one: http://diet.ivillage.com/measure/mweight/0,,2f9l,00.html
Let me know how it goes over the next few weeks. I could afford to gain about 5 or 10 lbs myself...but I don't want it all at my gut!
Deleted User 5

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 25 Jul 2007, 11:30

Thanks, Kim. That site was helpful, and i've googled a few others. I'm going to meet with a nutritionist in a couple of weeks as well. I may call my doc in the meantime though...
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 25 Jul 2007, 12:07

damn! okay well i am envious of you steve.......
6'4'' tall man and at 153 lbs....that is quite thin.
i hope i am not putting you on the spot here, but how is your muscle mass? do you think you have lost a lot of your muscle mass in the process as well?
if you totally took macrobiotics to heart, i believe you have done some cleansing of your body in the process and have gotten rid of a lot things that weren't needed or built up.
but for now, concentrating on getting back your weight would be great.
how many meals do you eat per day?
do you work out?
how many times per week do you eat fish or chicken or both?
are you still eating eggs?
are you cooking with olive oil or canola oil every day? you still need your good fats in your diet.
could you be also facing depression or anxiety?
do you feel like you also have fainting or dizzy spells through each day?
are you dealing with any other conditions other than the fissure now?
i don't want to freak you out or anything as changing your diet - one such as macro - can help get rid of lots of bad things in the body and thus slimming you down.
i even went through a slim down without trying but not an excessive loss came about but a good 15 lbs. i was still about 180 though. at 5'11''.
i'll trade you my 190 for your 153! Image
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 25 Jul 2007, 14:21

Hey, Gareth...yeah, i'll take your 190 anyday...that's what i used to weigh in college...
my muscle mass is low...i was working out a couple times a week, then 2 months ago, i stopped and only do some walking for exercise. so i've probably lost weight there.
i always eat 3 meals a day. sometimes a snack in between.
fish -- like 3 times a week...no red meat for the last 2 months, no chicken for the last month. i may re-introduce small amounts of chicken.
no eggs...although i might start eating them a few times a week. organic ones of course Image ...
i cook with extra virgin olive oil...probably like every other day...although i bet my lunch (which is from this organic buffet) has a lot of their stuff cooked in it too. taking a fish oils supplement. getting about 1g of omega 3 from that. and every other day i have a bit of peanut butter...mmmmmm.
i was definitely depressed/anxious for about 6 weeks, but i've greatly improved pyschologically...even if not physically.
i haven't felt dizzy, i don't think, but i've felt as if i'm pinching nerves in my legs...i used to have this when i was a kid...i need some cushioning i think...
no other conditions thank goodness...
i definitely feel good overall about my diet...and i don't plan to go back to my pre-AF diet...just need to modify my new macro-ish one.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Stand in for Austin Powers "FB"

Postby Guest » 25 Jul 2007, 15:24

I've lost about 10 lbs in the last few weeks but it's welcomed- @ 6' 255lb. I'm not sure how healthy these are for AF but - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-recipes/RE00099
Higher calorie things that work for me are be baked beans, refried beans (reduced fat or vegie), I eat Frosted Wheats with my Fiber One (probably bad but does not cause me problems), peanut butter in moderation, bananas (I have not had problems with them).
I think if I felt better I'd be losing more weight with exercise

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 25 Jul 2007, 17:41

Thanks, Ouch...some of those recipes look really good...
I think I have a high metabolism to begin with... i could eat a whole pizza and not gain any weight... and if it weren't for this af, i would do just that!
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 26 Jul 2007, 06:00

steve,
i'd say if you maybe up your meals to 6 meals per day. eating like every 3-4 hours.
why not make a healthy whole wheat pizza....you can buy some ready made wheat dough at whole foods or trader joes (they have different herbed doughs but just make sure its whole wheat). then load it with your favorite veggies and for cheese, there are some good alternatives at whole foods like soy kaas brand. you can also use pesto as a tomato sauce substitute.
definitely you don't have to give up your pizza!!!!!! or you can use the dough to make your own macro/veggie calzone!!!!!
yummmmy!
keep eating your good fats every day! that is important.
and definitely, keep your fish (white fish meat) and start introducing your chicken back. macro doesn't look down on this. i would say every other night, have some meat -alternating between fish and chicken. the other nights, you can use the seitan and tempeh since they are delicious and you won't feel as if you are missing eating meat at all!
if you can get some dumbbells at home, use that for your arms and do some squats. yoga is great. and qi gong is a good alternative as well but not as toning as yoga.
here's to your new goal: gaining some nice good weight back!!!! and yes, having a high metabolism sometimes is a minus. i think there is something in macro principles on how to deal with this and how to gain weight.
i just have to do a search for that.......
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 26 Jul 2007, 09:24

I use some whey protein in my soy milk for my cereal to add some calories and protein. I also add a few tablespoons of flax seed oil to my stir fry after I cook it which gives it an extra 240 calories right there of good fat.
This has helped me put on a little weight and/or keep from losing any more.
I am thinking about getting a pilates machine for home to work out my muscles without getting any rectal pressure from weighltifting. I can't really do anything like that for another month or so while I am healing from the surgery though. You can also get a cardioboard to attach to the foot of the machine to get a cardio workout. I also like that you get to lie down while you exercise with this machine too.