I think I am finally on the mend

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

I think I am finally on the mend

Postby dent1 » 01 Sep 2013, 06:53

Hi,
I had an operation earlier this year in Bristol involving botox injections and an advancement flap to heal my fissure. More recently I had further surgery to correct the rectal prolapse I had which probably caused the fissure and to remove sentinal piles. So far so good. I have been living on movicol for the last 8 months but am starting to cut down on it as I heal.
The recovery from the surgery was quite hard work as very painful for a few weeks think I can see some rays at the end of the tunnel. :D 
It was impossible to find any info about the VY operation anywhere so i think it is something my surgeon who is a very experienced colorectal surgeon has had some part in developing and prefers to the LIS operation. If anyone has any questions re this surgery please ask away.
dent1
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: I think I am finally on the mend

Postby dent1 » 07 Oct 2013, 13:40

Just thought i would but an update as I am going to see my CRS for a follow up tomorrow. I had my original botox and flap repair for a fissure back in April. Then went back into hospital for a repair for a bowel prolapse and to remove 2 sentinal piles. I also learned I have hypermobility syndrome this year and this is linked to chronic constipation / IBS so I think i am stuck with taking movicol or laxido long term. I seem to have got the dose about right most of the time and have regular BM's that are pain free. I do get some bleeding sometimes -so will have to ask about that tomorrow. I have had the occasional spasm a while after a bm but lasts a short time and then goes away. I am healed well enough to be going to the gym to do some rehab exercises as my muscles condition is poor after all the bedrest I have had to take and I can swim regularly which is lovely. Still not many surgeons doing the flap surgery rather than LIS it would seem.
dent1
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 09 Oct 2013, 10:41

Glad you have responded so well to the flap surgery dent. I believe it's my next step.
How did you find out you had hyper mobility si drone??? I only ask, because a friend is convinced I have it. She recons I'm really bendy!!! Lol

How did you get on at your appointment??

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby dent1 » 09 Oct 2013, 12:43

Good thanks- Mr D wants to see me in 8 months. He thinks it is early days for cutting back on the movicol but suggested alternating with fibrogel.

The Hypermobility syndrome think came about because my son was diagnosed with Dyspraxia and it was mentioned that he has hypermobile fingers. When I looked it up I realised I fitted the criteria - you only have to look at the way my knees bend back! suddenly all the comments from physios made sense- that I have an exellent range of motion and cannot possibly be is pain!
Look up the Hypermobility Syndromes association. It seems to be a collagen disorder and also linked to prolapses, varicose veins, IBS, autonomic dysfunction etc. Now I hop between The HMS forum and this one as well as occasionally lurking on the Dyspraxia foundation website. :thankyou:
dent1
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 09 Oct 2013, 13:11

Oh gosh... My eldest son is dyspracsic, and has has very bendy fingers!!! I will have to look this up now........ My friend says it means you have to tell your surgeon, as they have to stitch you up a little differently, and it could explain my lack of healing!!!
Very interesting.
Thanks
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby dent1 » 09 Oct 2013, 14:20

Ahha I wonder if there are any other undiagnosed bendys ( hypermobility syndrome HMS / Ehlers Danlos Syndrome- hypermobility type EDS -H) on this forum ... I would agree about the stitching thing - my stitches burst after my flap surgery. I really am astonished at the way I have healed up though - at the time it was a bit of a nightmare.
dent1
Salt Bather

Postby ravians » 17 Oct 2013, 05:20

huy. gud news that u r on healing track but I assume that u must have gone through hard days. in ur earlier post u mentioned about by surgery will u plz explain it.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby dent1 » 17 Oct 2013, 05:33

Hi I think basically rather than doing LIS my surgeon raised a v shaped flap of tissue from the perianal area and stretches it forward over the fissure and stitches it in place. This was combined with botox which I guess relaxes the muscles to help the healing process. Post op it was painful and took some time to recover- lots of hot baths, tramadol and movicol. i still need movicol for BM but feel much better than I have in for a long time.
dent1
Salt Bather

Postby richibeno » 17 Oct 2013, 12:07

Good to here dent keep on going '
How big are these flaps
Do they cut a piece of the area round the fissure out and stretch this skin in and sow it in place
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby dent1 » 17 Oct 2013, 12:56

I think so - this link explains it best- http://www.bristolsurgery.com/article.a ... eid=100640 but be warned - there are photos that might be TMI - makes me turn to the tramadol just thinking about it.
dent1
Salt Bather