Incision drainage after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Incision drainage after LIS?

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 24 Aug 2012, 23:25

I am hoping someone has something magical to share, lol! I have some clear pink drainage from the incision site which I expected. Problem is that it is causing very intense discomfort. I keep a liner in to absorb this, use calmoseptine as a barrier cream, have tried a small wad of gauze... Just nothing seems to be helping. As soon as this drainage starts it has me wanting to jump out of my skin!
Any suggestions for how to ease this discomfort? Is it normal for it to be so irritating?
Deleted User 1755

Re: Incision drainage after LIS?

Postby Strangeworldaf » 25 Aug 2012, 19:02

According to my post-operative information sheets drainage is normal and part of healing process. I would suggest you keep it clean at all time and call you doctors office for further help.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: Incision drainage after LIS?

Postby Deleted User 1755 » 26 Aug 2012, 09:18

Thanks, strangeworld. I did expect drainage, I just disn't expect it to be so darn irritating. I am hopeful the drainage means it is healing and nothing is festering in there since it's a healthy pink color.
During the day I seem to need to clean and dry the area constantly. At night for some reason it is extra bothersome. I got some balneol which helps a bit because it has a waxy moisture barrier. It doesn't last long though before I have to reapply. I put some lidocaine cream on at bedtime and calmoseptine which provides a better barrier than the balneol. The calmoseptine is too drying to use all day though. I take Aleve an hour or so before bed with my benadryl which acts as a sleep aid.
This regimen helps a lot so that I can sleep. The irritation still occasionally wakes me up, but it's tolerable. I sure hope the drainage stops soon! It's a lot of work.
Deleted User 1755