incontinence?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

incontinence?

Postby Guest » 28 Nov 2006, 15:34

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if any of you who have had surgery have had problems with incontinence? I'm scheduled to go in on Dec 8 for surgery, and I was told that this is a risk. I'm only 24 and the thought of having this problem so young terrifies me. I've tried all the other treatment options and it's not helping. I feel like I'm in a lose-lose situation!
Also, my clinic does only local anasthetic for the procedure. I'm afraid of being awake during the procedure and also I was told that the freezing needle is painful. I have so much anxiety over this surgery! Please help..
Thank you :)

Re: incontinence?

Postby Cheryl » 28 Nov 2006, 17:40

:D Hi G - a BIG welcome to the AF support forum!!
I am glad you are here - because going into surgery you will need to hear from people who have already been there - don't be frightened.. gosh I waited 6 years to get my AF fixed, all because I too was scared of surgery! Image Little did I know there was nothing to be afraid of!
One of my biggest fears was also incontinence, but really the risk of losing 'complete' control over your BM's is highly unlikely - even quite unlikely that you will have any loss of control :o
In my experience, the first few days after the op were a bit 'uncontrolled' would you say, but this is just because of all the laxatives I was on.. I soon found out I was on too many anyway!
I am now just over 4 wks post op and the most problem I have relating to this matter is breaking wind constantly.. (due to v. high fibre diet) I am unable to hold the 'wind' and for some reason I can not do 'silent' ones anymore.. but hey I can live with this - after 6 long years of AF sufffering, hell I think I could even live with losing slight control over BM's - lucky though it doesnt have to be that way!
G wrote:Also, my clinic does only local anasthetic for the procedure. I'm afraid of being awake during the procedure and also I was told that the freezing needle is painful. I have so much anxiety over this surgery!

How many surgeons / Dr's have you been to see? If you are v. worried about it, can you get a second opinion?
I was knocked out completely for the surgery and they did a spincterectomy (incision into the muscle) and the fissurectomy.
I am in Australia, so I am not sure how the hospitals and procedures work in Canada.. maybe you can find one that will do it under general anaesthetic?
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2006, 10:12

Welcome G Image
I'm sorry that you have a need to join this group, but I'm glad that we can be here for each other.
I agree with Cheryl in that I would much rather deal with a bit of incontinence in exchange for relief from this pain!
ttyl,
Sara

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2006, 13:41

thank you very much Cheryl and Sarah for the feedback. What are some good things to do post-op to help with healing?
As for the surgery itself, I phoned my clinic and they can give me a sedative to make me less "aware" and less anxious prior to and during the surgery. Thank God for that!

Postby Cheryl » 01 Dec 2006, 06:08

Im glad you asked G, post op care is EXTREMELY important!
Make sure well before you go in for the op you have your diet, your fibre supps and your softeners (such as sorbitol, colace etc) all down pat.
When you come home from hospital you are going to be Image super anxious about your first BM... DONT BE!! It is more pain worrying about it - just relax and ensure that you are taking a good stool softener, along with some fibre supplement and a high fruit and vegie regime.
You dont have to follow my routine, but I will just post this as an example.. Giz, Christina, maybe you want to add your post op diet that helped you..
Morning:
2 x metamucil fibre tablets
20ml sorbitol (stool softener)
1 laxative
weetbix with fruit or wholmeal toast
Midday:
20ml sorbitol
salad sandwich on wholmeal bread and lots of fruit
Evening:
20ml sorbitol
2 x metamucil tabs
1 laxative
soft boiled vegies, grilled fish, chicken
Fuit for dessert
Bare in mind, the laxatives were too much for me and gave me diareah which is not recommended.. Ideally you want one or two soft fluffy BM's per day that are pain free. It will really help if you can get your dosage of fibre and softeners sorted before you go in, so you know what to expect from your BM's after the big event! It takes a bit of trial and error - but you will get there Image
In the first few weeks after, DO NOT strain at all, no pushing to poop.. if you cant get it out, dont force it - and dont stress..
Dont lift any heavy items either... this can cause retears.
And take a few weeks off work to lay down and relax - your body needs to heal.. if your rushing around and stressing - the process could take longer, or might not heal as well as it could.
NOT LONG TO GO NOW... :D You are going to be just fine - make sure to check back in with us and let us know how you're going - we are all here to help Image
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22