Just feel so gutted

Fistula

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Just feel so gutted

Postby msimon » 29 Apr 2015, 11:01

Thanks WhyMe. I guess fistulas can be pretty tricky things to find when not sedated and probed sufficiently.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Cporosus1 » 29 Apr 2015, 13:14

No problem WhyMeUK,

A fistulotomy is the "gold-standard" treatment for low, uncomplicated fistulas because it has a low recurrence rate and is an outpatient procedure. The wound WILL be a tad shocking at first sight since it will be left open to heal by secondary intention, but don't take it's large appearance as there being something wrong. I would definitely visit a CRS ASAP if I were you.
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Topics: 28

Postby WhyMeUK » 05 May 2015, 06:41

Thanks cporosus1. Out of interest is that a procedure that you've had?

Quick update, I've managed to get a cancellation slot for surgery and will be going under the knife this Friday. I have a consultation tomorrow, so I will have more details to share after that.

I'm happy that things have suddenly moved along so quickly, but very nervous.
WhyMeUK
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Cporosus1 » 05 May 2015, 13:17

Yes I had a fistulotomy. It takes about 3 months to heal (and the wound is open so you have to keep it clean) but the pain is minimal. I'm still have some aches now, but I think it is the scar tissue and I still get hemorrhoids on occasion.
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Postby WhyMeUK » 11 May 2015, 06:49

Okay an update, I got a call out of the blue last week and the surgeon had a cancellation for Friday. Which I duly accepted.

I now have a seton fitted. The surgeon spoke to me before the op saying that his first choice procedure is fistolotomy, but if that could result in muscle damage back there then he'd go with the seton.

Operation went fine and after arriving in hospital at 11AM, I was back at home for 17:30.

I removed the dressings in the bath on Saturday morning and it is all very clean. Not really knowing what a seton was I was quite surprised to see what looks like a twisty wrap coming out of my back passage and my wound and tied in a knot. It looks like an odd EMO piercing. Lol. So far I've had a little pain which I'm controlling with over the counter tablets and today bruising has really come out, so it is quite achy.

I've nervously been to the toilet, which was fine and that's about it really.

I will be getting an out patients appointment in about three months. I'm not sure what happens then to be honest, will I be healed?

I'm wearing pads as advised, but there really doesn't seem to be any sort of discharge coming out.

Oh and I expected to be going to see a nurse as I was after my last operation but there's none of that either. I'm pretty confused!!
WhyMeUK
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 11 May 2015, 08:53

It sounds confusing, but also it sounds as though the op went well and you are coping really well - yay!
I've not had any ops back there, so can't tell you what to expect. There are quite a few people here who have experience of it though, so I hope they'll chime in.
I just want to wish you all the best for a rapid and uneventful recovery!
:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Cporosus1 » 11 May 2015, 15:55

Hi WhyMeUK,

I didn't have a seton put in mine, they just did the simple fistulotomy since it was apparently low enough. I have heard that with setons they wait a few months and then they perform the fistulotomy.
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Postby WhyMeUK » 12 May 2015, 09:35

Thanks Scientist2516. I hope so too.

Cporosus1, I've no idea what happens next. I was under the impression that in 3 months I would be fixed, but I'm still unsure.
WhyMeUK
Fibre Addict