Kelloggs All Bran

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Kelloggs All Bran

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2008, 06:31

I won't make any false pretences about this stuff, I hate eating it...through and through. It's so thick in its nature when eating it with milk for breakfast it makes me to gag and I don't feel like I've got a good start to the day...What I will say though is that this stuff, for me, is very effective.
I stopped using on account that it was difficult to ingest.
I saw my grandfather yesterday who uses all-bran to promote regularity, but he said he couldn't bear eating it day in day out for breakfast. So, he puts one serving in a glass and pours hot water from the kettle over it. Goes away and has a small bit of 'normal' breakfast and a cup of tea, upon which he returns to his bran mush which has absorbed alot of water and he just drinks it down in one mouthful. He said it does the trick for him and its virtually effortless.
I'm trying it today to see how it goes! Anyone else tried this?
-Brendan

Re: Kelloggs All Bran

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Jul 2008, 06:45

There are so many delicious sources of fiber, why focus on one that you have trouble eating? There are other packaged cereal fiber sources, too. I eat fresh fruit for breakfast myself. If it make you gag, why torture yourself?
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2008, 07:21

Haha because sometimes I like a breakfast that I can actually enjoy (Kelloggs Bran Flakes are nice, not as fibre rich though) and I am very pushed for time in the mornings, very.
While many people take Psyllium husk etc.. to try and guarantee their regularity, I am looking for a similar effect. Something that will guarantee my regularity such that it is largely invariant to minor fluctuations.
At the moment, if I stray from the path of consistency even a fraction then I get constipated for some reason. I'm trying to avoid this with something that will just 'work' for me. All Bran cereal used to be VERY efficacious for me, but I had to stop because I was sick of the morning displeasure.
I suppose I should've outlined my reasons. Fybogel/Metamucil is a disaster for me and causes me to be constipated such that I see the portions of dried gel being passed exclusively of normal stool.
I drank the all-bran mix and it was actually pretty pleasant. It was only a 1/3 cup serving, some 8 grams of fiber, but it goes through my system quicker than anything else I've tried. A high fiber diet rich in fruit and veg and being very conscientious is all well and good but it doesn't promote a greater regularity for me. All-bran hit the spot! I want to keep my stools very soft and if this does it with ease of ingestion, then thats the way to proceed.
-Brendan

Postby cherylk » 09 Jul 2008, 09:38

Brendan,
Could you possibly try a small amount of Miralax/Movicol to help with regularity or else MOM as so many others use???
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2008, 10:00

I don't like All Bran Buds either but it does the trick so for me it is a necessary evil. If you use some natural sweetener like Stevia and vanilla soy milk and some berries it actually tastes pretty good. I do pour mine out and let it set in milk for about 30-1 hour so it is softer. I wouldn't mess with what works even though I might not like it! But I am a masochist that way!

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2008, 12:03

Lecia, I know exactly how you feel and coining it a 'necessary evil' is spot on!
I actually have some Movicol but I didn't know if it was safe to take in conjunction with Docusate. Movicol is an osmotic-type laxative, right?
I started to try eating some figs today too, I hear that they can get the move on.

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2008, 12:24

Half a prune works wonders for me! I think Movicol is fine to take with Docusate since it is an osmotic type laxative.

Another thing to try is mix the allbran with a tastier cereal. Remember you really only need 1/3 of a cup to get 13 grams of fiber so you don't have to go crazy with it!

Postby happyass » 13 Jul 2008, 20:49

well personally i didn't like the twiggy like all bran but then when bran buds came out, it was like a whole new world and i really enjoyed eating them.
it reminded me of grape nuts.
if you cook them or microwave them in milk or soy milk, they will warm up and be a little more like oatmeal.
for me, bran buds are perfect with dried up cranberries and some fresh blueberries and raspberries along with some sliced bananas over cold cold soy milk.
delicioso if i do say myself......
i also like to mix bran buds with say basic 4 or some other yummy kashi cereal. i also like to put bran buds in when i cook hot homemade oatmeal.
enjoy!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 14 Jul 2008, 04:30

Hey i like that tip Gone_Fissuring !

Postby happyass » 14 Jul 2008, 06:23

Also getting some prunes and cutting them in quarters and putting them in the bowl of cereal or oatmeal is yummy.....
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74