Kelloggs All Bran

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Kelloggs All Bran

Postby cherylk » 19 Jul 2008, 04:17

Brendan,
If your regimen is working for you, that is great. Having your bowels move properly is so important to getting your fissure healed, as you indicate. I am continuing to increase the Metamucil I take which is similar to your product. The jar says psyllium is also supposed to help with heart health, so hopefully, those of us taking the product will all live long lives with healed butts!!!
:golfclub:
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2008, 15:11

Fissulyna wrote:What is Fybogel ???

Fybogel is the brand name for Psyllium Husk here in Britain. There's no difference between Metamucil in the US and Fybogel; I used the names interchangably to appeal to many, although Psyllium would suffice too.
Still have had great BM's on this regimen! I have an appt with the doctor in 2 weeks to evaluate my progress. I'm hoping this, plus docusate and Diltiazem should really get the result I desire!
-Brendan

Postby Fissulyna » 20 Jul 2008, 15:59

Thanks Brendan so much for the info : ) !
I wish you best of luck with your healing !!! How much Psyllium a day you now use and how much of Docusate ?
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2008, 02:43

I am currently taking 8x3.5g doses of Psyllium, which is roughly 8 teaspoon fulls from a jar. I have to drink an incredible amount of water to compliment the regimen, but it's working.
I am currently taking 3 docusate capsules per (100mg each I believe) per day; this is just to be on the safe side. I know Psyllium and docusate don't interfere with each other.
Here's hoping for the fifth consecutive day of success!!
-Brendan

Postby Fissulyna » 21 Jul 2008, 13:03

Thanks Brendan : ) - maybe I should up Psy. until my bum calms down completely.
Yes, Dec. and Psy. definitely should not have any kind of interaction
; ) !
Thanks and best of luck with your healing progress : ))) !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby val » 21 Jul 2008, 13:45

is fybogel available OTC or does it have to be prescribed?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Fissulyna » 21 Jul 2008, 13:54

Val, baby - Brendan told me that Fybogel is actually same as Metamucil here which is Psyllium (plant fiber), so I would guess that it would not require prescription - at least here you can buy it anywhere , in any grocery store. Image :'\;redbud: Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2008, 14:27

Hi Val,
Fybogel can be brought OTC , i think supermarkets sell it now :)
Are you thinking of trying Psyllium ?

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2008, 14:33

Val,
Do you pay for your prescriptions? I pay Ј7.10 a pop here in London (and Ј0 in wales Image), but I get it in large quantities.
You can buy Fybogel over the counter at any pharmacy or boots, although its been rebranded as 'Senekot Hi-fibre' and its not too cheap actually.
If you can get the prescription off your doctor then it is available that way too. Fybogel that comes from the Pharmacists stock is still called Fybogel funnily enough. The Psyllium/Ispaghula husk OTC is called Senekot Hi-fibre.
I think its about Ј4.99 for 30 sachets. When I goto my doctor he prescribes me 6-8 boxes, for Ј7.10! I'm up to my neck in the stuff.
For all you guys Stateside, Metamucil over the counter is a great deal! I looked it up on Walgreens.com and being only $12 or so for 24 oz, that makes the UK Fybogel seem shockingly expensive.
Let me put this into perspective.
Fybogel comes in boxes of 30x3.5g sachets = 105g, which is 3.7 ounces. This comes at the standard, over-the-counter price of Ј5 or so, which is roughly $10 at today's market rates.
If I get Fybogel on prescription from my doctor, I get about 630g for Ј7.10, which is 22.22 ounces, at about $14.20 by todays conversion rates.
The various rates are (using a US dollar benchmark):
UK OTC: 0.32 oz/$ or 2.70 $/oz
UK Prescription (variable): 1.56oz/$ or 0.64 $/oz
US OTC (Target, Rite-Aid etc.): 1.85 oz/$ or 0.53 $/oz
As you can see, the USA's Metamucil is priced much more competitively. Without prescription in the UK, for the same 24.1 ounces of Psyllium over the counter, you'd be set back about $65! I'm fortunate in that I get as much Psyllium husk on prescription as I like (within tolerances), and as I'm a welsh-born too, I managed to pick up 90 sachets of Fybogel on prescription for FREE! Good times!
So for those of you getting Fybogel over the counter in the UK, I strongly suggest that you source your Psyllium/Ispaghula from elsewhere, or switch to a UK prescription by asking your doctor.
The real flexibility with the US Metamucil is that you can go down to the shops at your own free will and score some Metamucil at a great price and not have to consult a GP.
I want to try the Pink Lemonade stuff!
I hope you guys enjoyed today's lecture in Psyllium economics.

Postby cherylk » 21 Jul 2008, 14:45

Brendan,
I think that you should be a rep for the sellers of Metamucil as you are now so knowledgeable about the product!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46