Leakage 8 months post-op?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Leakage 8 months post-op?

Postby richibeno » 25 Jul 2013, 12:27

Thanks Suzy yes , I always did use a gauze only last week stopped using g them trying to get back to some normality 'yes it takes a long time to feel better
May be I have some new folds ect now
M
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby msimon » 20 Sep 2014, 20:25

"if you have extra skin now stool can get caught behind it and it takes a while to completely come out."

"the CRS told me this was normal because of all the new tissue and folds."

Hi Suzy, Just wondering what you mean by this. Do you mean that after LIS you have more tissue and folds down there? :thanx:
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby suzyljank » 23 Sep 2014, 12:52

Hi, after LIS you may get a little scar tissue. Any extra skin, or skin tags can make clean up after a bm a little more difficult. Sometimes after you think you clean well you will get a little discharge or stool later in the day. This happens because you're relaxed. If your skin gets irritated from it try a little aquaphor on the area. It helps a lot.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby msimon » 23 Sep 2014, 17:13

Thanks Suzy. So am I right in you saying that one would have more tissue and folds down there after the LIS surgery and this is because of the relaxation? Thanks again :)
msimon

Postby Worrier12345 » 21 Nov 2014, 10:09

I'm experiencing quite a lot of solid stool leakage/soiling after a BM and for most of the day - I'm 12 days post LIS. I can clearly see that my anus doesn't close properly where the incision was done, and I can see a sort of crater where the stool is collecting/leaking from. I'm really worried that this is what is known as a "keyhole deformity" and that leakage/soiling will be a permanent issue for me.

Any of the old posters on this thread have an update on their situations?
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby msimon » 21 Nov 2014, 16:56

Worrier, maybe you would benefit from injections to plump up the sphincter?
msimon

Postby Worrier12345 » 21 Nov 2014, 17:12

Hi again msimon, and thanks again for your reply. I think we might be the only people on here any more!

I've not heard of these injections - do you know what they are called?

That sounds like it would help if the problem is the 'dent' in the anal cushion that I have now. If it is just that my sphincter is now too loose I guess I'm screwed unless it regains enough strength.

I'm really trying not to worry too much but I just feel utterly beaten by it all - ever since I was diagnosed with a fissure everything that could go wrong with treatment has gone wrong. I apologise for being so melodramatic and negative, and I know that you and many others are having problems too, but I just feel completely gutted.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Postby richibeno » 21 Nov 2014, 18:41

Hi it can take up to 2 years to regain a good a mound of strength in your sphincter muscles again '
The lis cuts,t he sphincter muscle to reduce its strength thus it helps the fissure to heal trying to stop the muscle spasaming
I had botox which blocked up an anal glan which became infected 'abcess 'fistula ect '
My last op was almostv2 years ago 'i feel muscles have improved 'i had it cut to get rid of the fistula tract .
This has left a grove which get some debris stuck after a bm it can get sore and irritating but I don't think there is any ting which can be done have often thought that there could be an injection of sorts to fill out the grove this would be great '
I normally have to have a clean up an hour or so after a bm
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby msimon » 21 Nov 2014, 23:39

Hi again Worrier. You and I sound so much alike! I have been utterly beaten down by this too. I tried everything over the last year and finally gave up and got LIS (was crying all the way to the OR) and now I feel awful. Can't even pass gas. It's like loosening the internal sphincter makes the external one tighter or something. I am miserable. I have had constant leakage for 7 days straight and feel so loose with all my swelling hanging out below but yet it forms a gas plug or something. I sure hope this gets better! Makes me feel like jumping off a bridge :sadd: . To be honest I don't know how long to give it before calling it quits.

As for the injections, I think I read about this on this thread. You may have to find someone highly specialized to do it. Hopefully you won't need it.
msimon

Postby Worrier12345 » 05 Mar 2015, 10:48

Thought I'd bump this thread up in the hope that some of the previous posters might come back and comment on whether their symptoms ever improved, whether they had any treatment, or how they dealt with the ongoing anal leakage after LIS.

Would really help me get through this if people with experience could offer their insight. Thanks.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather