Liquid Diet to heal?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Liquid Diet to heal?

Postby Ouchy! » 08 Feb 2012, 18:16

I was looking at getting some advise on trying this out.
The thought here is to consume nothing that wil have a residue which in effect will creat no stool. With no stool to pass for 2 - 3 days would this give your body time to start healing a fissure? I would think that by doing this once a week over a few weeks you may be able to make progress.
I personally have suffered with this over a year. It did heal, but then came back and I'm as tired as anyone else with the pain. Any feedback to this would be great. Thanks everyone!!!
Ouchy!

Topics: 1

Re: Liquid Diet to heal?

Postby workingonit » 08 Feb 2012, 18:38

Well some people got their fissures from diarrhea. So I don't think liquid diet would work.
If you fasted and didn't have a bm for a few days, I would think the next time you did go, it might be kinda traumatizing to the area.
Plus I read that fasting doesn't guarantee you won't poop. That there are so many bacteria in your gut that die every day, that you would be pooping out the bacteria if nothing else.
It is baffling why some people heal and others don't.
I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the tension, and am trying some gentle stretches to help. But it is too soon to know if they are helping. I am also considering self dilation. I think at this point I will ask the doc about botox at my next appointment at the end of the month.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2012, 18:51

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple... Even if you stopped solid food right now, your body still has stool sitting in your colon right now... so, presuming you didn't have a BM for those two days or so, that stool would sit in there for those two days and become dried out as the colon would just continue to extract water from it. The next BM would then be a problem ...
Adding to the complication, two days might be enough time to give you some pain relief and for your body to lay down some initial stages of healing, but not nearly long enough to strengthen the area fully to be able to pass stool again without the high likelihood of a retear.
Keeping stools soft and easy to pass is a better strategy. I've never heard of anyone successfully healing a fissure through extended fasting... (ahem... and I do admit that yes, I even tried this myself..)

Postby grannymaria » 08 Feb 2012, 19:33

So true jr! It would be worse if no food cause then it be drier . God bless u all n let's keep the food n water n fiber regime
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby rasmith3530 » 10 Feb 2012, 10:30

I tried both not eating and then eating only clear broths and neither helped. In fact, as some have mentioned, it may have actually led to setback.
That said, there is currently far more liquid in my diet than previously, I am trying to stay away from red meat by and large, and my food intake, although still there, is far less than before. This has seemed to help, but with serious sudden weight loss as a side effect. In my case, that wasn't so much a problem, as I was a Clydesdale going in, but for someone at near normal weight, loosing twenty pounds or more in less than a month might be a bad thing.
I have learned that before, I was eating more than my body needed, and of course, what goes in must eventually come out. I don't miss the extra food, just the lack of comfort foods like ribs and pizza. I am learning new ways to incorporate Asian foods into my diet, and I am happy about that. I just have to watch the rice intake, as it is both a stool stiffiner and a high glycemic carbohydrate, both no-nos for me.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby workingonit » 10 Feb 2012, 12:37

Hey Rasmith,
How is rice a stool stiffener?
Is that something you noticed about yourself?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby rasmith3530 » 10 Feb 2012, 22:07

Tanya, it was actually something I've been told several times over the years, that if you were suffering from the runs, that eating rice would help to firm your stool back up. It worked the few times I've tried it over the years, so I just assumed that if good hard stools were not what you were looking to achieve, rice intake might be something you'd want to limit.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 10 Feb 2012, 22:14

Oh yah, that's right, the brat diet.
Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast... but the applesauce doesn't make sense?
Maybe it is soothing?
I wonder if that is only for white rice? I eat brown rice and it's about 2g fiber per half cup cooked.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby rasmith3530 » 10 Feb 2012, 23:11

Of course, the next question is, is it soluble or insoluble fiber?
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ouchy! » 13 Feb 2012, 11:51

Thanks for the feed back. I'm just trying to get some time with no pain.... It's not just the BM that is bad. I take a bath and sit for 20 min after I go, but for hours after I'm in pain and sore from the BM.
Also, another weird (and embarrassing)thing to bring up... Not sure if its because of all the nerves in that area but I have this pain in my penis that seems to correspond to the pain that I have from the fissure. Anyone ever hear of this, or experience this?
Ouchy!

Topics: 1