LIS Recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Recovery

Postby jack_attack29 » 02 Jun 2018, 18:55

I had LIS yesterday, along with a tag removal. I was in pretty bad pain last night as the pain meds didn’t really seem to work. I got up around 4am because I needed to pee and was extremely dizzy and nauseous. I soon peed and pooped! I felt better after I pooped and pooping was not painful itself, but I still was in pain where LIS was performed and where the tag was removed. I took a sitz bath and it didn’t do much for the discomfort.

I was extremely gassy before I pooped and have been since I had the surgery. Is this normal/to be expected? It doesn’t hurt necessarily, but it’s not comfortable either.

Does anyone have advice for comfortable positions? Laying down doesn’t feel good and neither does sitting.

I am hoping the pain will begin to subside a bit more tomorrow but I will keep everyone posted!
jack_attack29
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS Recovery

Postby jack_attack29 » 04 Jun 2018, 13:43

Day 3 Update

I was hoping I would feel better today but the pain seems to be the same. Going to the bathroom isn’t too bad but the pain kicks in after and pain killers aren’t really helping. I am taking sitz baths throughout the day but they also do not have a soothing affect like I thought they would. I am still not able to sit and so I rotate from side to side. Walking isn’t too bad unless I can feel a stitch poking me, then it gets pretty uncomfortable.

For those of you who’ve had the surgery, when did you feel like you turned the corner in your recovery? I’ve got a 10 week old and my help runs out tomorrow. I’m getting nervous!
jack_attack29
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 04 Jun 2018, 14:03

I definitely couldn't sit for the first couple of weeks and then it was a while before I could do so without a cushion. Can you extend the help? Or find someone else who can step in?
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby jack_attack29 » 04 Jun 2018, 17:42

The person said they can stay for the rest of the week. Hopefully that will be enough time! I read so many LIS stories on hear and for some reason I thought I would bounce back a little quicker...not sure why I thought that! Right now I feel like I traded one pain for another.
jack_attack29
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 04 Jun 2018, 18:52

I'm sure that you'll be really happy in the long-term and it's great that your help can stay until the end of the week. I'm sure that things will be so much better by then.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby mike1971 » 04 Jun 2018, 20:00

Hi did you mention you just had LIS surgery 2 days ago?

I can't speak from experience but please don't be discouraged if it's only been 2 days. Give yourself some time.

I've found tucking a small firm pillow between my legs at the knees while laying on my side takes some pressure off the bum bum. Bend your knees slightly while on your side and try to get a pillow to give you about 6 inches separation. You can also try keeping your bottom leg extended straight out while on your side and the upper leg bent up toward your chest with a pillow or large folded blanket supporting the upper leg at the knee (hope this makes sense). I find these positions on my side comfortable with he help of a pillow or folded blanket. I don't find sleeping on my back or face down comfortable at all.

I also like sleeping on my left side. Apparently it's less stressful on the heart.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 05 Jun 2018, 04:36

Give yourself a good few weeks to get better. I know it's hard and we want to bounce back quickly, but the body needs time to heal. I would say that by the 3-week mark I was feeling like I was getting my life back again. My surgeon keeps reminding me that surgery is traumatic to the body, and that we should allow ourselves time to heal. Good luck and I hope you heal very quickly.
Deleted User 7114

Postby missy moo » 26 Jun 2018, 00:05

Hey how are you doing now?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby jack_attack29 » 26 Jun 2018, 19:13

I am 25 days post-op and I am feeling better, but more time is needed before I can say I am healed.

I started to feel better pain wise about 6 days after surgery and was able to sit on a donut pillow. I still have to be mindful of how long I sit and also stand. Did anyone else feel pain if they stood for too long? I tried working out last week and immediately regretted it.

I still have pain after I go to the bathroom, but it’s nothing like before and doesn’t last like it did before either.

I went back to work yesterday (I was on maternity leave) and I am very nervous about going to the bathroom at work. So far I have been able to go before work. I have a routine that helps with the pain and I can’t do it when at work, but my boss is aware, and told me I can go home if I have a bad experience. Her support is very appreciated!

Last week I had blood twice when going to the bathroom and since then I feel like I have hit a wall as far as recovery goes. The pain doesn’t seem to be easing up, but is staying the same. Again, not as bad as before, but I’m just so ready to be pain free! The incision site doesn’t cause me pain anymore, but I feel the pain in the fissure/tag area.

I have another follow up appointment on July 13th and my doctor said I should feel better by this time. I am hoping he is right.

I really appreciate you checking on me!
jack_attack29
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopefull123 » 26 Jun 2018, 20:10

Hi Jack, for me it took about 5 weeks to somewhat heal, but the complete recovery takes months and it is very gradual. I started being able to sit at my desk for long without issues after 3 months. Have patience, the worst part is over. My only advice is don't overdo it with laxatives. Very important to have formed BMs.
Hopefull123
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11