LIS and Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery longer?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS and Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery longer?

Postby Harper05 » 06 Feb 2017, 13:45

I had both done, its been 5 weeks and I am still pretty sore - wondering if this recovery takes longer because I had both....
Harper05
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 28

Re: LIS and Hemorrhoidectomy Recovery longer?

Postby Nopooptalk@thetable » 22 Feb 2018, 23:26

I just had both done today...I think. I know I had the LIS but the rest was relayed to me by my husband and he's so lost when it comes to anything fissure or hemmie related so I've just deciphered until tomorrow when I can call the doc. Anyhow. He said the surgeon told him there was a large hemorrhoid by one of my fissures and the hemorrhoid itself was likely causing a lot of pain because it had white things on it. :dunno: So she removed that hemorrhoid and went through that fissure to cut the sphincter muscle and the. Sewed it up. I have no pain yet but I'm worried about what may be headed my way once IV meds wear off. How was your recovery?
Nopooptalk@thetable
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby chachacha » 23 Feb 2018, 08:59

Harper, I had LIS done 3 years ago and a hemorrhoidectomy done 3 months ago. I did not have them together, but the latter procedure is known to have a much longer healing time and at 5 weeks, I'm not at all surprised that you're still experiencing pain. It does get better bit by bit though, and I was basically fully healed by about the 8 week mark.

Nopoop, I hope that you didn't have the hemorrhoidectomy without being prepared for it in advance, and there's a good chance that you didn't. Your husband may have been told that you had a papilla (which has a white head and is associated with a fissure), and it may have been explained to him as "like a hemorhhoid". Of course though, maybe you did undergo the procedure, in which case, I hope that your recovery isn't too painful.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Nopooptalk@thetable » 23 Feb 2018, 09:24

Chachacha,

I'm going to have him call in a bit and figure out exactly what it was and what happened. I knew going in that other stuff may need to be done but wasn't sure what exactly. My exam last week...she tried to get a look around but I was screaming in pain and incredibly tight. She said the tightness alone indicated to her that Botox would only be a temporary fix. She could tell I had fissures as my
Gastro had diagnosed but was unable to get in very far at all or look around.

I hadn't had any pain until 3am. Woke up, it was time for pain meds anyhow so I took them and it kicked it within 30 minutes. Pain wasn't bad but it was escalating and has me pretty nervous.
Nopooptalk@thetable
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 23 Feb 2018, 09:40

If you did indeed have a hemorrhoidectomy, one of the best things that I did was to poop standing up for the first week or so. Sitting down to me, seemed like the wrong thing to do because it would no doubt spread the surgical area and cause more pain from the pulling of the tissues. I just stood over the bowl and let it slide out on its own. Good luck with your pain, whatever the cause.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Nopooptalk@thetable » 23 Feb 2018, 10:43

Well I just got off the phone with the nurse and she said I had an anal papilla removed, a hemorrhoidectomy and the LIS, all on the same side. I'm a little nervous now. I can see why pooping standing up may be easier. Pre op, having my cheeks spread at all hurt and pulled on the fisssures so I'm not looking forward to that now. Thank you for the suggestion.
Nopooptalk@thetable
Fibre Addict