LIS surgery - day 4 post op thoughts

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS surgery - day 4 post op thoughts

Postby ruchgupt » 01 Dec 2023, 10:12

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've been on the board. I lost my pw and can only log in through my one device still holding it! Lol.

Well, as expected, my fissure didn't get better. Nitro helped a bit but after a succession of retears, each worse than before, it was barely easing the pain. I went to a new CRS who told me it was probably best to skip Botox and go directly to surgery at this point and I was game. I ended up taking 12 weeks of leave from work (starting this week) for mental health reasons, so it dovetails with surgery recovery nicely.

I went in on Monday for LIS. It was a super easy procedure...I was in such pain beforehand that going in to get it done felt like a relief. Only trouble was it was scheduled for 2pm - so no food or drink that long sucked!

I was knocked out, and when I came to, apparently I was so happy to be done w the surgery I was crying! Lol. I was pretty doped up so don't remember much...my CRS told my mom that I was spasming REALLY badly, so he's not surprised I was in pain. I believe he also took out a sentinel pile as well.

First day, there was minimal pain because I was still really drugged up. I got percocets to take home, but vowed I wouldn't take them unless desperate. Came back, ate oatmeal and salmon, and started adding 2 Colace to my capful of Miralax a day. Second day, first day post-Op, my first BM was SO easy, guys, and in fact, most my BMs since then have been great. The Colace has helped a lot. But I'm also only eating like 1000 calories a day and drinking 3L a day.

Pain has been disappointing. Blood, too. Still see loads of blood and discharge. And I'm unable to hold gas in - with leakage everytime I do have gas. The pain is different than fissure pain though - it's throbbing, sharp, and it lasts, but it doesn't feel as awful as fissure pain does. Not sure how to explain. I also had bad diarrhea the second night bc I was taking too much Advil to take the edge off the pain - will NEVER do that again bc oh MAN it hurt so much after. So sore I couldn't sleep. And randomly, I am finding my butt will clench REALLY hard and spasm - that hurts a lot and I'm not sure why it is happening. But sitz baths help.

All in all, at least four days post op, I am glad I did it. I am praying no complications or infections and that once my period comes, things don't go to hell with constipation ruining everything again. Time will tell.

But thought I'd update everyone!
ruchgupt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: LIS surgery - day 4 post op thoughts

Postby Peggydoo » 03 Dec 2023, 10:59

How are you feeling? My surgery is in 10 days…
Peggydoo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2