LIS surgery done today my experience so far

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS surgery done today my experience so far

Postby jillywilly » 09 Nov 2012, 12:41

Hi everyone havnt been on the site for a while but thought I'd pass on my recent experience. I've had a chronic fissure deep down to muscle level for about 10 months (also piles & skin tags for many years post pregnancy & chilbirth) managed it myself with creams suppositories & diet but fissure pain became unbearable earlier this year so I was referred for CRS opinion who recommended Botox which I had done in June this year it was marginly successful but unfortunately the effect was very short lived for me & the pain started again after only a month. My CRS said that the next stage for a chronic fissure like mine was LIS surgery, I'd read an awful lot on this site about it & decided it was prob the way to proceed so I was listed for survey back in sept but with NHS waiting lists as they are I waited til today to have it done. The pain from my fissure & sphincter spasm had become really bad recently so I didn't have any second thoughts bout actually having it done I was struggling with pain after every bm & recto just wasn't helping any more, I've 2 kids & partner & job & really needed to b able to function properly for them as much as me. So today at 7am I presented at my local hospital for day surgery. Worst part was pre-op enema which was painfull, but they did give me pain relief. surgeon said he was able to do what he'd planned made incision on right hand side he said he was confident that I wouldn't have any continence problems due to where he'd made the cut, when I woke up I had a bit of discomfort but not too bad compared to pain I'd had from fissure. Took tramadol offered by nurse as I didn't want pain to start up when moved to get dressed etc. I've now been home for a couple of hours & I really don't have much pain at all, can feel some soreness on the right so I guess that's where the cut is but it's certainly bearable & so I'm quietly confident that the pain will be controllable & all I have to do now us await that first post op bm when apparently all the packing will come away. Got quite a large dressing taped across my bum at the mo so can't see anything, been told not to bath or shower for the next 48 hours but guess I'll have to if I have bm in that time. I found this site so wonderfully helpfull & supportive after my Botox treatment so thought I share this next stage with you all. I'll update as I go along, lots of love to everyone suffering at the moment.
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: LIS surgery done today my experience so far

Postby Lauren12 » 09 Nov 2012, 14:25

It all sounds good. :) All the best with a speedy recovery. I had the LIS 19 months ago and am cured. Before that I was in pain for two and a half years with a chronic fissure, and refissuring due to high muscle tone as a result of muscle spasms. I had two lots of Botox at six monthly intervals (Diltiazem didn't work for me) but it didn't really take the pain way. The LIS cured it however and I've been fine ever since. All the best.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist