List of "safe" fruits

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: List of "safe" fruits

Postby SunshineHope » 23 Jun 2007, 01:17

To ppl that have been trying to heal themselves for some time : do you find it's harder to have softer poo in the winters? I've been noticing how many fruits are in season these days that help me quite a bit.. there's plums, peaches, nectarines, cherries, watermelons, mangoes, ALL TYPES OF BERRIES, having so many of these fruits around helps... But in the winter, you usually don't see those same fruits around.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 23 Jun 2007, 09:08

That is the time to start getting frozen fruit if you are missing out on variety. I think berries taste and freeze the best. And frozen peaches do pretty well. I never thaw them completely as they get too soggy. You can also make smoothies with frozen fruit too.

Postby buttgirl » 25 Jun 2007, 10:50

mypoopyhurtsme wrote:Hey, buttgirl, what cirtrus fruits do you eat in the morning and how much?
I often have the "hard at the tip" poop. Maybe I'll try your trick.
steve

Usually just a grapefruit, oranges or tangerines (whatever's in season.) This morning i am adding a couple of peaches. I also drink about a quart of water before noon and sometimes a cup of green tea.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby SunshineHope » 25 Jun 2007, 11:56

Hey guys, I don't know what it is about oranges but I remember a month or two ago when I used to eat them a lot, they'd almost have a laxative type of effect on me. Thanks for reminding me - I'm going to try an orange again and see how it goes.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 25 Jun 2007, 16:22

I have read other sources and anecdotal accounts that cirtus was not really good for AF. I just assume it was too acidic. But be careful, don't over do it until you have a good idea how you're reacting to them. You may be perfectly OK and they may actually help, but be forewarned...it may be dicey...
Deleted User 5

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 Jun 2007, 13:27

Everything I can find about apples states they are great for the digestive system...they have both soluble and insoluble fiber and the pectin is also good for digestion.
I eat one everyday... but my fissure is pretty much healed...
Deleted User 5

Postby SunshineHope » 28 Jun 2007, 14:38

Hmm maybe because apples are hard? I stopped eating them because I'm just fearful Image haha
About oranges, yeah, I used to drink loads of OJ before, and cut down because I thought it may have been causing me problems. I remember though that 1 or 2 times, eating a fresh orange really helped stimulate a BM faster.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 28 Jun 2007, 15:31

I think citrus CAN stimulate a loose BM. I once ate two oranges (as a very young man) and they had me on the toilet in no time flat...
It only happened once, but once was enough...
Deleted User 5

Postby fissure101 » 28 Jun 2007, 22:05

you may want to add papaya. it helps keep the stool soft.
fissure101
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby buttgirl » 30 Jun 2007, 13:44

mango also seems to keep the stoll soft. I think it has the same enzymes as papaya. also, I think the reason apple may have been advised against is that the skin can be a little abrasive. Chew well and i think it would be fine. i certainly haven't had any poblem with apples.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67