Lubricating suppositories?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Lubricating suppositories?

Postby William » 12 Sep 2010, 08:02

Does anyone know of any, or had any experience with, lube-only suppositories? I've had my nitro-for-the-fissure-induced external hemorrhoid for 8 months now, and I've been using Prep H suppositories mainly for their lube effect since the hemmy kept getting worse without them when I first got it. However, my hemmy never seems to heal and I'm wondering if the medicine aggravates things.
It's been awhile since I visited. How's everyone doing? :)
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Lubricating suppositories?

Postby Guest » 12 Sep 2010, 08:27

I'm not sure William. I hope someone else will know.
I had the worst hem. when I first got my fissure and I was using Prep.H non-stop. When I went to my GI and my CRS, they both said to throw it away. It ulcerates the skin...The only thing that worked for me were the baths. It's so frustrating doing everything humanly possible and making very little progress.
Have you talked to your doctor? I used everything and nothing seem to work much but the baths. Vaseline was probably the best but I'm not sure how you could get that inside.

Postby StevePain » 12 Sep 2010, 08:38

I'm not sure either, although lube only suppositories are only used as a laxative? unlike Prep H and Anusol that are specifically used for hemmorhoids, I've used lots of suppositories and ointments when my hemmies were really bad (over the course of 11 years) none of which actually cured the condition, I've also had several minor procedures including Sclerotherapy and RBL (rubber band ligation) which caused my fissure.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby stuckOnHold » 23 Sep 2010, 04:46

Hi William
You say that nitro caused the hemmorhoid?
I've been having hemmorhoids on-off for the last few months, sometimes painful. Had no idea nitro could cause it.
I would also be interested to know if there are any lubricating suppositories. I apply some vaseline before BMs, and i'm still not sure whether or not it helps.
I'm fairly sure that when sometimes it causes more particles/debris to stick in there after the BM, which gets very uncomfortable if I dont remove it with my finger. Pretty gross, I apologize.
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby StevePain » 23 Sep 2010, 10:11

Stuck, I used to do the same, always manually removing fecal debris to alleviate the pain, these days I am forced to keep my finger out because of the LIS and Fissurectomy surgery I've had, it became one of my habits before I had the surgery, every time I felt a certain kind of pain then I'd have to go to the toilet and lube up with Vaseline and check inside for fecal matter..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby stuckOnHold » 24 Sep 2010, 03:14

it sucks doesn't it. Lying on your bed with your finger up your ass digging out bits of poo shouldn't be part of anyone's daily routine. I just lie there thinking 'what has my life become?'
Steve, it sounds like LIS is working for you reading from your other thread. How many days post op are you now?
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby StevePain » 24 Sep 2010, 09:37

Hi stuck, I'm 7 weeks post-op, I have minimal discomfort but nowhere near as bad as a few weeks ago, I'm using Nitro 0.4% to try and speed up the healing process, I like to have back up treatment if all else fails, and yeah I never thought I'd end up relieving my rectum of fecal matter manually, but sadly that's what I'd been doing for well over a year but it did relieve the pain, when bits of poop get left over in the rectum they irritate the fissure so bad, it burns like hell and stings to boot..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby William » 08 Nov 2010, 18:12

stuckOnHold wrote:Hi William
You say that nitro caused the hemmorhoid?
I've been having hemmorhoids on-off for the last few months, sometimes painful. Had no idea nitro could cause it.

Sorry that I didn't see your post before now.
I partially blame the nitro for my current hemorrhoid because it really agitated the tissues down there while I was on it. Before the nitro, I'd never had a hemmy for more than a week, but the one that had come and gone occasionally for a few years came back for the entire time that I was on it. Then one day, I got the really bad one that I still have. It probably made me susceptible more than actually causing it. I quit using the nitro shortly after that. But the nitro was definitely necessary, because my internal sphincter was in permanent clench mode for the two or three months before I starting using it and it was very difficult to go to the bathroom. Considering my previous fissure, it terrified me to have to make effort to "go".
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby afugh!! » 09 Nov 2010, 16:23

Ya when I first started using nitro I got an external hemmy.I was using Nitrobid 2% at the time and thats like max strength so it totally aggravated my sphincter.I started mixing it with Lidocaine and my hemmy eventually went away.I was using a compounded version more recently and I never got a hemmy.Maybe it's because it is compounded with something that is very cool and soothing(possibly aloe vera)and I applied it deeper in my rectum.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby William » 09 Nov 2010, 17:05

Mine was actually compounded with aloe and petrolatum to 0.2%. I shudder to think was 2% would've done! But I never was brave enough to apply it inside, since I couldn't find a good applicator to do so.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist