metamucil wafers!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

metamucil wafers!

Postby happyass » 18 Feb 2011, 10:31

after going to my primary care physician for a complete physical - mainly to check my nuts out and to also take a peek at my slowly healing ass - he recommended to get on metamucil.
as i am not fond of these OTC fiber supplements, as i do my best to at least intake 30 g of fiber each day through veggies, fruits, grains, prunes, soy and other grain milk products, etc., i went to the fiber supplement shelves at the CVS nearby work and was just disappointed by all these items packed with artificial ingredients.
i wasn't excited to have to drink a fiber supplement so when i came across the Metamucil wafers, which also had an extra 2 g of fiber over the regular Metamucil mix to water product (the only bad is that the wafers do have a lot more ingredients, many which are unnatural, over the mix), I decided to try it.
the wafers are small enough and come 2 in a packet and per box, you get like 12 packets - so 24 wafers in all. Each 2 wafers is about 100 calories with 40 calories to fat, 5 grams of fiber. you can eat up to 3 packets per day to reach your fiber goals.
comes in apple crisp and cinnamon spice.
the cinnamon spice is delightful and almost tastes like a guilty pleasure. i actually had 3 packets yesterday! LOL.
looking forward to trying the apple crisp.
it is recommended to take 8-10 oz of water with each packet.
as much as the miralax and its generic knock-offs look appealing, i am reluctant to even try it. mabye if it came in a delicious wafer with little to no unnatural ingredients, i would have been in my check-out basket!
i've worked really hard to get all unnatural stuff out of my system i just don't want to add it back in.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Re: metamucil wafers!

Postby cherylk » 18 Feb 2011, 12:12

Happy,
I've switched from Metamucil to "FiberMax." It is made by Advanced Naturals, and I buy it at my compounding pharmacy. Thirty-two servings for $20. I don't take it every day. I know it is more expensive, but I feel my butt deserves it. Supposed to have less fillers than Metamucil and be more natural.
Advanced Naturals
Clearwater, FL 33765
1-800-690-9988
www.advancednaturals.com
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby New mum » 19 Feb 2011, 17:08

Hi Happy ass,
I just want to say i take metamucil but have had to tinker with the amount and stuff to actually get it right eg not going a million times a day to big and gas.
I know myself i have to have 5grams morning and night but with like 2 glasses of water with it. dont know why that works but it does.
I also think that its better to find something more natural then if that doesnt work try others.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Savaici » 19 Feb 2011, 17:49

I have also tried the wafers. Found the cinnamon to taste much better than the apple. I have only eaten a tiny bit at a time, as felt the fibre irritated me on the way out. I have to get back to eating more, gradually
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Cagirl » 22 Feb 2011, 22:36

This is great to know, thanks Happy! But dang, 100 calories.
I just can't seem to get 30 grams of food fiber a day, or even 20. It's just too much food.
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby cherylk » 23 Feb 2011, 05:19

That's why fiber supplements are often needed to be taken also! Sometimes I eat a Kellogg's Fiber One bar which has about 9 grams of fiber. A smoothie with a couple of fruits (banana and berries) can give you about 6. I used to drink grape juice with about 4 grams of fiber. So, there are sneaky ways to get extra fiber into the diet!
cherylk
VIP

Postby happyass » 23 Feb 2011, 08:03

Hi Cagirl,
As you can see, Cheryl has some delightful sneaky ways to get that extra fiber in! It's all about experimenting and finding what you really like and what makes you feel good but you can definitely and easily get your 25 g of fiber - if that is what your goal is per day.
Well when i first started fortifying my diet with fiber back in 2006 after my first CRS appt, I added All Bran Bran Buds.
The amazing thing with that cereal is that you can easily get 39g of fiber in one - that's right, 1 - cup!!!!
There is your whole day's need right there.
Well my goal is to get 40-45g of fiber daily. I know it sounds like a lot but I am a Texan Boy and we need our fiber! LOL!
My only challenge after a while was that I got those hard-tipped poos from eating cereal in the morning. So I stopped eating this around late 07.
I am slowly working it back into my diet but as a snack and not as a first thing in the morning food.
So easily, I can get 40g+ of fiber every day.
When I bought my Metamucil Wafers, I also explored and bought the FiberOne Shredded Wheat Cereal as that one had 9 g of fiber in a bowl. Adding some soy milk, you can bring that up to about 11 g of fiber. Altho the other FiberOne cereals had more fiber per serving, I really liked this one because I think it was the only one out of all the FiberOne cereals with NO - zero - sodium. What I like to do with this one is fix me a bowl and pour in my soy milk and just let it sit there for about 9-10 minutes - it turns into a delightful, oatmeal consistency MUSH! so soft and delicious to eat. And such a great snack
Okay so this is about 6 days into eating the Metamucil wafers and hopefully yesterday was an indication that smoothness will stay.
I had very good BM yesterday and this morning.
Not sure if it is all due to the Metamucil Wafers, but I am enjoying them about 2-3 packs a day (so that is 15 g of fiber right there if I eat 3 packs)....and I am also enjoying 2 glasses of prune juice. Now if only Starbucks can make that into a latte!
happyass
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 23 Feb 2011, 09:04

Happy,
I have some Metamucil wafers that I think I am going to try. They would be easier to use when traveling/on an airplane than mixing up my fiber supplement. The fiber we ingest also helps us prevent insulin resistance and helps our arteries. (We recently had three separate meetings with diabetes educators, and I really learned A LOT from them about diabetes, healthy food choices, and exercise!) Image
cherylk
VIP

Postby happyass » 26 Feb 2011, 10:14

okay, metamucil wafers update!
i bought the metamucil wafers apple flavor and those are good too! they are lightly sweet and give a nice contrast to the cinnamon spice flavor.
i don't know what these cost in your area, but for instance, a box at CVS here in DC is about $6.
i looked up in Amazon.com and you can get a pack of
2 cinnamon for under $9 (that is about $4.50 a box)
or a pack of
3 apple for under $7 (that is about $2.33 per box)
so that is quite a savings!!!
however, you can get more savings if you sign up for a subscription for these and you get shipping free (you don't need to buy $25 of amazon stuff to get free shipping - you get this free shipping by doing a subscription which you can set up frequency by month, 2 months, 3 months, etc... and you can cancel at any time)
so the 2 pack cinnamon subscription now comes down to $7.70
the 3 pack apple comes down to $5.82.
that is 5 boxes of metamucil wafers for under $14!!!! free shipping. compared to buying 5 boxes at CVB for $30!!!!
that's a savings of $16 right there.
also i bought the FiberOne Shredded Wheat by subscription as at the store a box is about $5-$6, so i can get 4 boxes pack for $12.05! that saves me $18 right there.
so in a month of using these two products, i will have saved approx. $34 buying them through amazon.com subscription than at the store.
if you use this over a year, that is $408 SAVED!
it's not only important to keep our bums and colons healthy, but also our wallets! LOL.
i wonder for those of you who use other fiber supplements, what deals you can find in Amazon.com via subscription plans.
happy shopping!
happyass
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 26 Feb 2011, 12:13

I'll check on the amazon.com shopping option. Thanks!
cherylk
VIP