Milk of Magnesia - anyone experienced coated feeling?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Milk of Magnesia - anyone experienced coated feeling?

Postby roseyaa » 29 Sep 2016, 16:32

So I started trying out Milk of Magnesia after Lax a Day (aka Miralax) wasn't working out for me (even low doses like 1/4tsp was causing diarrhea)... and since 11pm last night, I've felt this feeling like my throat/stomach is coated, and it makes it harder to breathe.

Has anyone experienced this?

I've read so many MOM threads on here and elsewhere but no one talks about the coated throat feeling.

I felt the same when I took Pepto Bismol chewables; just this coated uncomfortable feeling.

How is everyone taking such high doses of MOM and not complaining about the coated feeling at all??
roseyaa
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Milk of Magnesia - anyone experienced coated feeling?

Postby Savaici » 29 Sep 2016, 19:42

I take about a third of a cup (the one that comes with it). I always drink two 8 oz glasses of water after I take it. I have no problems with taking it.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby roseyaa » 29 Sep 2016, 20:01

So you don't get that feeling like it's coating your throat at all? I wonder if it's because I'm not drinking enough water with it. I thought drinking it with 1 glass of water was enough.
roseyaa
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 29 Sep 2016, 20:04

I have taken MoM for quite some time. I take it at night, drink the water, clean my teeth and then off to bed. I don't have what you describe, but possibly it just does not agree with you.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby roseyaa » 30 Sep 2016, 14:24

Thanks for sharing your experience with it. I'm a little desperate and hoping it's something that will work for me, especially because it doesn't make me have diarrhea like the Miralax equivalent did.

Are you taking any other stool softeners, or just the MOM? Does it work consistently regardless of what you eat?
roseyaa
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 30 Sep 2016, 19:58

Yes, it is consistent, never gives me tummy ache (or not that I can remember). I am fairly rigid with my diet, but do stray a little, but never ever overdo it. I am also vegetarian, but do have the odd bit of fish.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby roseyaa » 04 Oct 2016, 13:10

I have some positive news to report - I experience no coated feeling when I mixed the MOM into water, then drank that down! It seemed to make more noise in my stomach, but whatever.

1/2tsp was making things too watery, so I'm now down to 1/4tsp.

Oddly enough I noticed MOM did not get rid of the hard tip (though perhaps it takes more than 1 day of use for it to get rid of that), so I'm supplementing it with magnesium citrate mid-afternoon which is doing the trick so far.

Is there a reason why you're taking MOM and not Miralax, or are you taking both together?
roseyaa
Fibre Addict