My infection is back/still here

More surgery now :(

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My infection is back/still here

Postby msimon » 19 Jan 2015, 00:05

Just to provide an update to my progress following LIS...I have not been able to clear out an infection that followed my LIS 9 weeks ago and my CRS want to make an incision in which the edges won't be able to close together (elliptical then?) and cauterize the infected tissue inside. It seems that some sort of pocket formed following my surgery and I have been on 3 rounds of antibiotics and while I feel a bit better while on them, about 5 days of so afterward it swells up painfully again.

Anyone heard of this happening before? He says a sinus can form during any surgery. I am so terrified of having to go back in the OR. He doesn't want to do it under local in case I move a muscle and he slips. What am I going to be in for? Is the cauterization going to be agony? How about healing this kind of incision (healing from the inside out he says). I guess this is no longer an elective surgery but I can't help bu twant to just run away. I feel like 'What have I done"!
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: My infection is back/still here

Postby Rachael 1984 » 19 Jan 2015, 04:01

Hi Ms,
I'm so sorry you have the problem with the infection and the incision. It's so not fair... You deserve a break.
I haven't heard of this before, but it sounds like your surgeon is trying to help.... But I guess that you are scared of more surgery again....?

How are you coping Mentally? Are you taking any Antidepressants? I know my mental state is an all time low again. I so hope you can get this under control and sorted out, I really do. I think it's normal to ask what we've done to deserve this? I ask that all of the time....

Do you still have problems with the fissure? Or has that healed.... Sending you hugs and praying for you.

Rachael xxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby owmybum » 19 Jan 2015, 11:39

I'm so sorry to hear this msimon...... I agree with Rachael.... You deserve a break!
I'm sure it won't be any more painful than the fissure or LIS pain, and hopefully it will sort you out!

:smilyhug:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Turk the cat » 19 Jan 2015, 18:43

This is great news really. A plan of action. I know it's hard but it will be a positive in the end.

Keep breathing and doing guided imagery, etc, and oh yes, perhaps a spot of "medicinal wine" on occasion?

We're with you Msimon. Hang in there.

Never forget you are a tuff Canuck gal.

Turk's mom
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby jlm1 » 19 Jan 2015, 20:25

I don't know anything about this but it sounds hopeful. Sounds a bit like that kenelog procedure that I have heard about: where he burns the bastard off.
In any case, I do hope this is the true end of the road for you and that things start going uphill for you. Hang in there!
fissure May 2014
nitro, diltiazem
botox July
fistula surgery, piece of skin tag removed Oct
fissure declared healed Dec
currently have burning/pain-told it is nerve pain
physical therapy, sitz baths, valium suppositories
hoping I am healing
jlm1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby msimon » 20 Jan 2015, 00:35

Thanks for the positive words everyone. I really need that right now!

Rachael, my mental health is terrible. I truly don't know how I can handle another surgery. I am still seeping from the first one nearly 10 weeks ago. I started bleeding from the incision site yesterday. First time in at least 6 weeks. I was trying to push out some of the infection but I guess I was too aggressive. Now I can't move or sit much again. Makes me realize how on earth I'll handle a fresh cut that is so wide!

I don't know how the fissure is doing. Last checked it had a new skin layer on it and was much smaller. But that's touch and go. I am hoping the blood is not from it. Most of the pain I feel is on the left so I can't tell if the fissure is acting up too as I often felt like it was on the left as well, the back left.
msimon

Postby Rachael 1984 » 23 Jan 2015, 04:45

Hi MS,
I'm so sorry you are suffering this. Why would god want us to go through this pain.
Can you see if your doctor can give you some Antidepressants? They will help calm you down and stop some of the anxiety....
I'm on Ampytripaline. They are helping mentally and with the anxiety, I was shaking and sweating knowing I had to have a BM, it was happening every day. I still worry, but they have calmed me down. My GP thought they'd help with pain too. Not too much luck on that one yet.

Keep going, there has to be an end to this, and another surgery could be the end. I really hope it is... Sending you hugs.
We are all here for you, everything suffers when you are going through this bum hell daily. Are you working?
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Worrier12345 » 23 Jan 2015, 05:12

Sorry to hear about your problems msimon. Sounds like your surgeon has a plan though - that's definitely something to be hopeful about.

We had our surgeries at around the same time, unfortunately for us they both caused problems. My fissure definitely has not healed yet (had a little blood from it this morning), but my main problem is that I'm still leaking stool throughout the day after a BM. The only way to avoid this is to clean my rectum out with a small enema syringe after each BM. I am pretty sure this isn't helping the fissure heal, but since I'm not in pain I find the stool leakage to be the more pressing concern.

Like you, I've been having a hard time mentally. I started on anti-depressants just before Christmas because I was not coping well. I'm not sure whether they're having an effect or whether I'm just getting used to my new life of having to jetwash my anus twice a day, but I'm managing to get through each day.

Like Rachael said, it might be worth asking your GP for some antidepressants, the sooner you get them the sooner they can take effect.

I wish you luck.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby msimon » 23 Jan 2015, 12:27

Thanks Rachael and Worrier. Your encouraging words mean so much. As for the mentality, I did try an antidepressant, Cymbalta, in between antibiotic rounds (due to an interaction) and it made my stomach so upset I just couldn't cope. I have IBS and my gut is quite a mess since 4 rounds of antibiotics in 10 weeks so it's not something I want to try for now at least. I am trying really hard to work on it naturally with mindfulness and spirituality (something I have never done before). It makes me feel more at peace with and more accepting of this long painful process. I saw my CRS yesterday and I am going to post an update to my other update post.
msimon