My LIS+fissurectomy thread

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My LIS+fissurectomy thread

Postby Emm123 » 14 May 2012, 01:12

Hey all, just wanted to find out if you all ever developed a rash around the area after an LIS. I've been told to do sitz baths at least 3 times a day and I don't know what caused it but I used baby wipes once. I was on antibiotics for the first week and I'm just starting my third week (16 days later).
I'm going to make an appointment later today to see if I can see the Dr and get a idea what I can do because the major pain is now from the burning of that area.
Also is pain (not much just a slight sharp pain every now and then) normal 16 days later?
Last edited by Emm123 on 15 May 2012, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Emm123
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: My LIS+fissurectomy thread

Postby 44alegna44 » 14 May 2012, 07:57

Hi Again Emm,
As you know, each us has a different recovery experience. Along with my lis, I had a tag removed and a few small hemmies. I can tell you from my own experience that I didn't feel the full benefit from my surgery until week 4. Up until then I was still experiencing some twinges and occasional random pain and discomfort.
You do need to address the rash though and get that under control. That irritation coupled with the normal post-op healing is, I would expect,
making you worry more about you're progress. So getting in to see your
doc is best as he can give you something for the rash and address the
concerns you have about those pains. But, IMO, aside from the rash, yes, you definitely may expect to still feel some minor discomfort at only 2 1/2 weeks post-op.
Please stay positive, and let us know how things go with the doc. Image
Angel Image

44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Emm123 » 14 May 2012, 16:45

Thanks again angel! I think I should have my threads merged. Sorry mods.
Apparently too mine wasn't just a LIS but I was checking the hospital paper and it had fissurectomy too and he said he removed a tag...
So updates...
The rash is subsiding but I still got an appt for tmrw,
Bad news though... I had some bleeding in my BM today..... like more than usual. Just on the paper though. I never had this much. There wasn't much pain though.
Thing is I'm eating my veggies with my food plus taking benefiber and 5ml of liquid paraffin a day and I don't know if this softens my stool enough... :-(
Good news though.. I got an actual sitz bath thing for the toilet bowl so I'll be doing proper ones now so hopefully that's helps.
Does stress play a major role in this? I guess everyone is different and in my case stress could induce it right?
Emm123
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 14 May 2012, 17:31

Hi Emm,
Wow, ok, lis and fissurectomy plus tag....I believe that concoction makes for a bit of a longer recovery period...this I've learned since joining this forum many months ago...just from other people's experiences who've had both lis and fissurectomy. Just to have a better idea of what approximate timeframe you should be looking at for recovery time, be sure to ask the doc what you should expect.
Good news about the rash subsiding...glad to hear that :D . I don't know that a little more blood on the toilet paper is necessarily a bad thing, that is also something I've heard from people here...most of the time it's more mentally frustrating and confusing Image than is an actual problem affecting recovery. Again, the doctor will be able to address this, but please don't worry too much over it
As for the stools, it's a challenge to get this diet thing just right, but if you keep tweeking things here and there, you should be able to find what works for the most part to get your bm's just right. Keep at it though. I've heard of the sitz for the toilet..sounds like it makes things alot easier and more convenient, so I'm glad you were able to find one. Image
When it comes to stress.....it totally reeks havoc on me and is what I consider 100% to be the culprit behind my fissure Image . For me it is the devil itself Image ...so, if there is anyway at all that you are lucky enough to avoid it, I highly recommend you do so....it definitely doesn't help in any way, shape or form.
Please keep us abreast of what the doctor has to say, and do your best to relax and just focus on a positive recovery. I'll do the same for you Image
Best Wishes,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Emm123 » 15 May 2012, 17:33

Angel thanks much for all the support!
God bless ya
So updates.
The "rash" apparently was due to the salt in my sitz bath :O
I used to put too much and instead it made things worst!
The doctor said its 1tsp for a bucket of water... I'm using like 1/8 of a bucket of water in a sitz bath so essentially I was sitting in brine which is bad.
He said don't worry and to continue doing it but correctly. The damage wasn't permanent but it did do some scouring :-( but I'll be fine in a few weeks. He had describe the sitz bath to my dad but he didn't clearly say its a proportion so that's why I didn't realize that. But I'll be OK.
Based on the observations though he says I'm healing well! Only a little "crack" remains from the fissure to heal now. I forgot to ask about the 2nd one but Woohoo! Thank God yes that it still healed even tho I did the sitz wrong sort of.
About the blood he said not to worry that's alright. That even up to 4 weeks later I can still bleed. And honestly like you said its all psychological too! Only if its running blood to be alert for that. If its tinting thats OK.
Thanks for all the motivation! I realize that stress is really a b.... I was a bit stressed lately too and I think that tightens things for me down there! My parents and gf etc tell me I worry too much :-( lol
Somehow we have to fight this killer!
By the way your fight with AF is over? You had a thread too?
EDIT: just had a read of your threads and wow! How is mum? And how is that 2nd AF? I'll keep you in my prayers :-)
Emm123
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 15 May 2012, 19:07

Hey Emm,
Very positive visit I would say Image I'm sure this offers you much relief :D and I'm just so happy you got the answers you wanted to hear!
I'm sorry, but I did have a slight giggle at the thought of your butt marinating in brine Image Thank goodness this is an easy fix and no damage was done. Funny how doc's have different opinions about these things. My instructions were and still are water only...no salt. But I do know that others also use salt, so I guess the proportions are a pretty important factor. Glad that's straightened out.
About the blood, I know there have been others here who have seen traces off and on for quite a while...everyone's different...so it's reassuring to hear from your doctor that it's part of the norm.
This I will say till I'm blue in the face, stress and worry are detremental to your recovery...and I know there are times when it's gonna be difficult to avoid them, but please do your best to...you got really good news today, and are on a healing path here, so remain optimistic and positive, and should anything trouble you...call the doctor immediately to address and alleviate your worries or concerns.
Thank you so much for asking about my mom...gratefully she is doing just fine now. Image
My 2nd fissure is still holding on, though not nearly as bad as my first. I'm still taking things one day at a time and praying that it'll heal on it's own. So any additional prayers that you can throw my way are greatly appreciated. Image I have another follow-up in a few weeks, and hope by then I'll have a better idea of how the healing is or isn't progressing. By the feel of things it's hard to tell, it's really not so painful this time....just uncomfortable sometimes.
I just keep on doing all I can to help things along on my end, if that's not good enough, I will move forward, once again, with medical intervention. I came so close once...and just want that recovered feeling back again for good!
I'm so glad you updated this good news tonight and hope you continue to keep us abreast of your progress..... I love to end the evening with happy thoughts. Image
Best Wishes for continued healing.
Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Emm123 » 15 May 2012, 22:04

Glad to hear mum is good now. Now it your turn to feel great! I hope that comes your way sooner than anything and that next lil bugger heals soon!
I'm so happy I could share the confidence booster with everyone here too!
And yes my buttocks were marinating lmao. I shall tell my parents about that haha
Thanks for the advice too!
I feel like I'm part of the forum family somewhat already. Btw make a guess how old I am :-P
Emm123
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 16 May 2012, 11:33

Emm, no doubt everyone who enters here is part of "the family" Image . We're all so incredibly lucky to have one another to lean on while living through this ordeal.
Ok, I'll tell you that I'm thinking your young, only because of the way you mentioned your mom (mum), dad and girlfriend. So if I'm allowed a little leeway, I'll go with the 24-26 range, which if I am right, is so sad that someone so young has to have dealt with such a terribly painful condition....I'm really glad though to know that you've had your parents and girlfriend by your side to support you through this. Image
Ok kid, I gonna wait for your response to see if my intuition is worth anything here. If you tell me you 50, I'm crawling under a rock Image
Hope you're having a good day Image
Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Emm123 » 16 May 2012, 13:15

Haha yup! You're close. You have good guessing skills! And aww its alright. Thank God the pain is not as bad as it used to be. But just before the operation I dunno what happened but it was crazy. I had like a bad fever and I knew I wouldn't die but whoa.
Its so awesome I found you guys! You all could be like my aunts and uncles I think. Hehe. And thank God for them too! I don't know how I'd manage if I was a parent or working etc.
I can't wait for the day I can sit normally though. I've been sitting on a donut cushion for under a year now and anytime I see a hard plastic chair I cringe. Image
Up to now it kinda sucks I can't sit for long even with the donut because I think the salt did hamper me a lil but I ain't letting that get me down :-)
My day is going fine. Just the usual procedure haha.
How are you doing?
I just realized I could a have hit the emoticon and throw in some... hahaha Image
Emm123
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 16 May 2012, 15:23

You're too cute :D I have no problem with Aunt Angel..it's the title of Grandma that I can wait a while for Image
I know how the pain was sometimes unbearable...I used to cry so often thinking I wouldn't be able to endure one more minute of it Image . I still can't comprehend how some people have to manage to show up for work with the unpredictability of fissure pain. I give them soo much credit! I definitely consider myself blessed that I didn't have to work outside of the home while going through all the hell that I did with this condition.
I'm better with the sitting, but I do always bring along a plush kind of sweater that I have if I go out...I'll place it on my seat if it isn't cushioned, just in case I end up sitting too long..I know that can become very uncomfortable Image . I can't wait for all to be normal again too! Soon enough, I pray Image
Glad your day's going well, mine was the same Image
Have a great night Emm,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist