New and so lost

5 days post-fissure surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New and so lost

Postby MedicalBlackHole » 09 Apr 2014, 13:31

Hi all. I've been reading for a while, but just joined.

I had surgery on Friday to sew up my unhealed episiotomy and while they were there, sew up two fissures that have been hanging around too long. I was put on 300mg of docusate (even after I told the surg that 400mg does nothing...) and 25ml of lactulose every 6 hours in order to induce diarrhea, then to lessen the dose until soft, easy to pass stools occur.

So on Sunday, I had the largest, hardest, most uncomfortable BMs of my life after about 4 hours off and on the can, with much screaming and crying.
Monday I popped out a turd a rabbit would have laughed at after 40 minutes of work.
Tuesday, I passed a few more rabbit turds, but it was hard and uncomfortable and required much work on my part.

This is insane, right? Where is the 8 weeks of diarrhea I was promised?

I added one dose of PEG3350 (Miralax, movicol, restoralax, etc) on Monday and again last night and still nothing. I'm drinking 4L of water a day and eating a fibrous, but not super high fibre diet.

Any ideas, insights or words of encouragement?
MedicalBlackHole

Topics: 1

Re: New and so lost

Postby Scientist2516 » 10 Apr 2014, 22:47

How's it going, MBH?
Did you succeed in getting soft stools?
I wish I had some advice for you. It sounds as though you are doing the right things.......it's weird that your stools are so hard to pass.
I hope you are doing better now.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby MedicalBlackHole » 13 Apr 2014, 13:28

Hiya, ok, day 9 post-surgery.
I had really loose BM yesterday, so hooray for that. I'm still on double daily max of lactulose and one hit of PEG 3350 per day. I don't know if the soft BM yesterday was the result of drugs or the result of eating the greasiest, spiciest most delicious curry take out the night before.

I think I'm having so much trouble with achieving soft BM because I'm breastfeeding and my son is on a growth spurt. It seems like my body is at war - trying to hold on to all the moisture to make stool soft and trying to hold on to all the water to provide food for my kid. It's annoying, to say the least.

I'm SOOOOO tired of taking lactulose 4 times a day. SOOOOO tired. I gave up on the docusate (colace) because it just makes my stomach hurt and it does nothing. I had a lot of pain yesterday afternoon and last night. Partly from the extended bathroom session and partly because I think I did too much too soon - we walked to the local bakery for lunch, also I wore something other than sweats.

All in all, AF and an active baby and all the drugs and trips to the washroom that last 40 minutes... Not for sissies, that's for sure.
MedicalBlackHole

Topics: 1

Postby Newmommy28 » 13 Apr 2014, 18:58

Hi, medicalblackhole,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had my son six months ago and the fissure soon after that is still plaguing me. It is soooo much harder to handle with a baby. I hope you are getting a lot of support from your family!

I wish I had a magic answer for you... I'm also still nursing and wondering if quitting will help mine heal faster. How long have you had your fissures? And what type of surgery did they do? How's your bum feeling?

I am still trying to decide if surgery is the way to go for me (LIS and skin tag removal).

Although I didn't have an episiotomy, I did tear really bad and now have painful scar tissue so I can't even have sex with my husband. The fissure is way worse at the moment so that has sort of taken priority.

Having a jacked up vajay and bunghole is no fun. I like to remind myself this IS temporary, there is no way it could go on like this forever. And as the saying goes, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Fissures included.

Congrats on your new little one. I hope you're finding some peace.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Scientist2516 » 13 Apr 2014, 21:15

Not for sissies, no. Neither is breastfeeding. It's damn hard work, especially staying hydrated, and keeping up with your baby's growth. My goodness, I remember that.......
I can't imagine life with a fissure AND a baby.
It's a real bummer when the slightest return to normal activities set you back. You have to baby yourself and look after yourself as much as possible. Take it - I was going to say, very very easy, but you are a new mother, so take it as easy as you can.
Keep going. It can be a long road to healing, but you WILL get there. There will be set-backs, but eventually they will die away. You are doing great, so keep up the good work and Heal, Heal, Heal.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16