new, confused and frustrated

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new, confused and frustrated

Postby Aneem » 16 Jan 2012, 14:24

First of all, I would like to say how much this forum has helped me through this terrible experience. I stumbled upon it during a desperate search, and am so thankful that I did.
I am a 27 year old woman living in Canada and have never experienced anything like this before. My story started the last few days of December. I got food poisining and was running to the washroom for about 3 days with violent diarrhea. Needless to say, my bottom was a little sore. I have had hemmorhoids in the past, and I normally apply a bit of Anusol, and they resolve themselves in a day or two. Well, when I woke up on Jan. 1, I was in excruciating pain. My husband and I went to a couple different Emergency Departments and surgeons over that week, and I was misdiagnosed or not given an answer until 6 days later when I was told by a surgeon that it was an infected anal fissure. He suggested that I try healing naturally and consider surgery as a last resort.
Over the past two weeks, I have been taking all the neccessary steps: rest, soft diet, increased fibre and water, stool softners, sitz bath, heat therapy, advil, diltiazam and lidocaine ointment. And except for the rare times when there is blood in the stool, the pain seems to be decreasing (Or I could just be getting used to it!! Image ).
My question is this: I have had this problem for just over 2 weeks now, and it seems to be healing, but I have two nast sentinel piles! They are not painful, just a bit uncomfortable thats all. I know these are normally a sign of a chronic fissure, but I've only had it for 2 weeks. I have also read that inthe case of a chronic fissure, natural healing is unlikely. So I cannot figure out if it is healing (pain has decreased, but occasional instance of blood - about twice a week). I have an appt with a CRS this month, and would like to avoid surgery if I can.

ANY THOUGHTS? Could it be healing even though there is blood and sentinel piles or should I consider surgery?

I know how difficult this expereince has been for me (pain, scared to eat, fear of the toilet, mental breakdowns) and i have only been struggling for a couple weeks. To all those who have dealt with this for extended periods of time, you have no idea how tough you all are. :D
Aneem

Topics: 1

Re: new, confused and frustrated

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 16 Jan 2012, 14:53

Hi, Aneem -
I don't feel so tough today. My pain level is up - and I know that my AF is in the "chronic" category now. That's not something I wanted -- I wanted it to heal, like it did the first time around, but that isn't happening.
It takes a long while for an AF to heal. You might want to give yourself more time - but do keep your appt. with the crs, because your situation (with the piles) might require treatment.
Yes - the mental stuff is nasty. I've gone up and down the whole spectrum of the depression, anxiety, etc. - and I'm at the point where I just want this to be done and over.
All I can say is that we have to face this mess, like it or not - and I keep hoping and praying that there is light at the end of this dark tunnel.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 16 Jan 2012, 19:32

Hi Aneem,
If it feels like you are healing, you probably are. I've read that sentinel tags can shrink after a fissure is healed. You shouldn't consider yourself chronic after such a short time (albeit an awful time).
Sending you healing thoughts!
Sweet, so sorry you are having a bad day!
There is light at the end of the tunnel, it is just such a long tunnel sometimes...
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 16 Jan 2012, 20:01

woi - gosh darn, I sure hope so.
I've just about had it with this stuff. My life has been on hold for 3 months now. I'm really so, sooooo tired of all of this. So tired of the pain, the burning - and I want it to be healed!
Also, I have an appt. with my crs this Thursday, and I know I'll be a wreck. I just hope my visit goes well.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby grannymaria » 16 Jan 2012, 21:25

Aneem - only by the grace of God - we are enduring n with the great help n advice from the wonderful members here. Never in my life - I'm 57 - had I ever heard of an AF :( until just last month!
Hang in there sweetie - read posts here n u will understand it better n great tips also :)
God bless u and may HE heal us all soon
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 16 Jan 2012, 21:27

granny - God bless you, too - and I do pray for all of us, for God's healing.
I've had you on my mind today - I know you're by yourself and going through alot, so I hope you're doing okay.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Jan 2012, 22:22

Hi Aneem and welcome!! Sorry you are having such a rough time!! You are so early in dealing with your fissure. I would definately try to heal it myself first. Keep the appt with the CRS and see what he/she says. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Are you getting enough fiber 20-25 grams per day, plust lots of water and 20 min soaks in a warm tub. Also, miralax is a great softener. Many of us on here swear by it!! I hope you get this under control!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Aneem » 17 Jan 2012, 17:55

Thanks so much for all the advice and words of encouragement --- very appreciated!
Hoping and praying that everyone has better health in this new year!
Aneem

Topics: 1

Postby grannymaria » 17 Jan 2012, 21:06

Sweet Bugaboo wrote:granny - God bless you, too - and I do pray for all of us, for God's healing.
I've had you on my mind today - I know you're by yourself and going through alot, so I hope you're doing okay.
Image ahh thank u sweetie. God bless u. Amen! We will keep praying for all
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby grannymaria » 17 Jan 2012, 21:09

Aneem wrote:Thanks so much for all the advice and words of encouragement --- very appreciated!
Hoping and praying that everyone has better health in this new year!
amen! We will keep praying sweetie. God bless u n heal us all Image
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist