Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New Member

Postby Guest » 01 Dec 2008, 11:12

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. You can rest easy that you are at least doing what you can to heal. And it sounds like you have great care too. That is such a blessing you were able to get in to quickly and even get a CT scan to rule out other problems.
This condition is quite draining and can lead to depression. I had problems with my bottom after my last baby was born that caused chronic pain. I was told it was post-partum depression. I kept saying I wouldn't be depressed if I werent in so much pain!!! I am glad to hear your hubby is there for you.

Postby Corsi » 01 Dec 2008, 12:38

Tamara
Is Metamucil working for you? When I tried fiber supplement my BM became too big...
I agree with Cheryl, try not to sit...I spend bad days laying on my belly or on the sides...
Take care Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Deleted User 5 » 03 Dec 2008, 17:37

If you are healthy, Tamara, I think incontinence should be a very small worry. The occurrence is so rare, and no one has ever been on this board who became incontinent from LIS. It all has to do with the skill of your surgeon, and you could question him on his success rates. Since you seem to be doing everything right and still aren't healing, I wouldn't let such good odds prevent myself from ending the fissure misery once and for all. Happy healing!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Jen » 08 Dec 2008, 01:02

Tamara -
I am sorry you are going through all of this. I know how hard it is to deal with this and a new baby. I also got my fissure around the time of child birth and it took me 20 months to get the courage for LIS. I would recomend it to anyone. I had it done in August and I feel great.
I would not worry too much about the incontinence. I was worried about that too, but several people on the boards have had to have multiple LIS's and still no incontinence.
Let me know if you have any questions. this site is wonderful and everyone has their own unique stories to contribute.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby newmom » 08 Dec 2008, 15:29

Hi All,
Thank you again so much for all the supportive replies!
I have decided to have LSIS done as soon as I can get into my CRS. I sat in Emerg on Friday for 8 hours just on chance that I could speak to the resident who has all my information. Fortunately I was able to sit there that long with my 4 1/2 month old (who was so well behaved)! I was able to finally speak to the resident and found out that he works on my CRS's team! Basically I begged him to get me in sooner than the 18th....we'll see if he can, I hope so. My husband, such a wonderful supportive man, was with me the whole time and also told the resident that we cannot live like this any longer. It's taking a major toll on our family and my overall health. I am now 20lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight and I was not big to start with. I'm also almost 6ft tall so I look pretty yucky right now.
I have my second opinion on the 11th...only a few days away now. Basically I just want to ask who is the best man for the job! I also have an appt on Saturday with the very first CRS I saw about this. That was back in Sept. He is an older doctor, seems quite knowledgeable but is lacking bedside manner. I will still go to this appt, I think he would do the surgery on me if I asked for it because when I first saw him he said he wasn't going to do surgery that day, at that time I wasn't even aware there was a surgery that could be done. So even if I just ask questions it won't be a wasted appt.
I think my fear of incontinence is because of the botox....I have to rush to the bathroom in the morning so something has worked. I just don't understand why it hasn't made the unbearable spasms stop if I have to rush to the bathroom in the mornings?? I'm sure the LSIS will make it worse until the effects of the botox wear off??
The CRS I feel the most comfortable with is the one that I will see again on the 18th. He is a teaching CRS and head of the Colorectal unit at the University in my city. I like him, but only want the best CRS doing this surg of course. I am terrified of incontinence like everyone is but at this point I don't think I have any other choice. I beg my husband everyday to kill me, I'm in therapy because of what this has done to my life. This is supposed to be a joyful time in my life, I'm a new mommy who can't even take care of my own baby....it's just so depressing.
I will keep everyone posted on what the next week brings.....
Thank You Again!!
Tamara
newmom
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 5 » 08 Dec 2008, 20:46

I think you should relax about the incontinence. Its one of many risks for any surgery, but you should be just fine. Perhaps when you see the second surgeon you could ask about having LIS with the botox still active.
Botox is not so immediately effective with the spasms, not for most people here anyway, that I'ver seen. LIS should be dramatic -- immediate, as far as ending the spasms. You sound like you desperately need your life back, as I did and LIS was the only thing that worked for me. You'll still have any normal "pain" that you already may or may not have at the fissure site, but the lingering spasms should end as soon as the surgeon makes the cut.
Deleted User 5

Postby Corsi » 09 Dec 2008, 02:20

Tamara, you will heal in the end and what seems like a long time now is not in a lifetime. When having this fissure we sometimes have to lean back and see that things could have been so much worse. I am not trying to make your problem smaller than it is, because I know only too well how painful, depressing and uncomfortable this is, but this isn't lethal - we will be able to see our children grow up....
Also remember that when you are a new mum you are hormonal and that may affect how your feel.
Sorry you have lost so much weight, I have too and I have seen a nutritionist because of it, and she recommended a nutrition drink for me. I take one each day together with a smoothie. I guess you fear large/formed BM too? I eat liquid food the first 2 meals every day because I cannot have too hard BM the next morning.
Ask in your local pharmacy about the nutridrink, I take this one with fibre:
http://www.nutricia.no/Produkter/N%C3%A6ringsdrikker/Fullverdig+ern%C3%A6ring/Nutridrink+Multi+Fibre/Nutridrink+Multi+Fibre.htm
This page is in Norwegian, but you can find it on English as well...I guess the selection of nutridrinks are much better in Canada where you live... :)
I think it is so good that you have "a plan" and are persistent about this, and that you and your husband it together in this. Don't give up Tamara, you will heal in the end...try not to worry and enjoy the small things that are good in your life...and your baby Image
Corsica Image
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2008, 08:31

Tamara ….You are wise !
You are so right to follow your gut feeling - Trust the surgeon you prefer and ask him all your questions you have about incontinence – Hopefully his reply will be that he has not had a case of this happen!
You have had the botox twice right ?? Can I ask was this done under general anaesthetic ?
I have had one shot of botox done under G/A and for me the first couple of weeks were rough but immediately it did stop my spasms and made toilet time a whole lot easier , I found relief with just one shot and even have some healing - KOW ! :roll:
Botox can be so hit and miss some get relief and others find it does nothing for them in which case LIS is the only option left!
Goodluck !

Postby Guest » 09 Dec 2008, 14:57

Hi Tamara,
I agree. I would go with your gut. I have gone against my gut and have been wrong every time so it does work!

I can relate to your despair and feeling deperate to ask your husband for a way out. It does feel like a never ending nightmare but at least you are working towards a resolution and LIS is very successful.

I too, wouldn't worry about incontinence. They are very precise in how and what they cut so that is rarely ever an issue.