New to this forum

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to this forum

Postby Newtothis » 17 May 2016, 11:42

Hi all,

I am totally new to this forum but have been reading people's diaries during the past few weeks. In short, I have suffered from fissures since about 3-4 years ago. Very rarely back then, but as time goes by one fissure has shown up with a gradually higher frequency. Recently, it would hurt about 1 week out of 4. I am a very fit 23 year old man and have seen a colorectal surgeon last month. He suggested to perform a surgery on it as the main fissure had become swollen and a sentinel tag had been created. The surgery has taken place today and I'm now on my road to recovery.

Let's hope the recovery won't be too difficult (I have read horror stories online, maybe it wasn't too wise to Google this but at the same time it has been useful).

Keep you all posted.

Regards.
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New to this forum

Postby Canadabum » 17 May 2016, 16:12

Newtothis -- good luck on your road to recovery....we wish you the best!! Please keep us informed on how it goes and what you experience.

Best - CB
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Newtothis » 19 May 2016, 14:31

Thank you CB.

I am now 2 days post op.

I have been taking stool softener since the surgery but, being terrified to become constipated, I believe I have taken a bit too much on the first two days. I had my first bowel movement last night and from midnight until an hour ago (so about 18 hours non stop) my stool has been leaking out continuously without even realising. This has given me lots of stress today. I have taken at least 7-8 baths and also one during the night.

I took a break from the softener between midnight and today's afternoon. I went half an hour ago for what I believe was my very first more solid stool - this time too solid so I had to lay down on the bathroom floor because of the pain that came with it. The BM going extremely slowly made it worse.

I just took stool softener again and I hope that this is just a case of properly balancing the softener. Maybe a beginner's mistake.

With regards to my experience overnight, is it normal to have such strong "incontinence" with stopl softeners? I am talking lactulose. Since the recent BM the "leakage" has also stopped.

Keep you posted.
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 21 May 2016, 19:42

People react differently to softened...so for you it may be "normal". I wouldn't sweat it...find your own balace that works for you.

Hope you are well.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby Newtothis » 22 May 2016, 13:12

Thanks Canadabum.

I'm slowly bit by bit recovering. Now on day 5 and I think today has been much better than other days. I can also finally walk normal again.

I am however having problems with my BMs. I have regular BMs now, of which one about 45 mins after waking up. This one goes smooth and with not much hassle.

I have my second BM between 17:00 and 19:00 and I have been struggling the past 3 days. I believe I have these times incomplete evacuation which leaves me with a lot of pain and frustration. I really have no clue why this is happening and it's the biggest worry of the day - my second BM. Anybody has advice?
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Postby Newtothis » 24 May 2016, 12:35

Now 7 days post op... Still taking 10 baths throughout the day. Can't get my BMs fully regular - one is regular just after stepping out of bed in the morning, followed by 1 or 2 between the hours of 12:00 and 20:00.

The wound is extremely painful at the moment and bleeding much more than previous days. I've heard this is a good sign? Granulation tissue? Healing wound? Good thing is that spasm is slowly by steadily decreasing, with some very very very little first steps. It still takes me sometimes an hour of laying on the bed to "cool down" after a BM because of spasm pain, I am no longer rolling around in agony.

any thoughts?
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Postby Newtothis » 29 May 2016, 13:48

Tomorrow is day 12 post op and I just wanted to share that I'm doing much better. The first 6 days were a hell (okay, for those who are facing the surgery, it is tough but you will survive. I have had moments of crying because of pain, but I've also been reluctant to use opiad painkillers). I regretted the surgery during the first week and when at day 8 little had improved I started to think I may be one of the unlucky people being in pain for many weeks! Fortunately, during the second week the healing went quicker, and a bit quicker each day. I am now 11 days past op and I experience it as the following:

- I take my time to rest. I don't put the alarm very early. I believe this has been good for recovery.
- I do the advised things - drink lots of water and take stool softeners. I find it difficult to change my diet (eat usually a lot of red meat) but I've done it where I could. Problem is I'm now addicted to houmous (high in fibre) which is calorific.
- My first BM is usually straight after waking up (within 20 mins) so whenever I can I prepare a hot bath when I wake up.
- BMs hurt, one time more than the other, but it's much less pain than during the first week and the pain lasts for just 5-10 mins after BM, and lighter. The start of a BM is a bit stressful but it now ends to be less painful than expected each time.
- I stopped painkillers 2 days ago but I quickly found out that it gave me a throbbing feeling down there. My advice: if you got paracetamol and ibuprofen, take them for at least 2 weeks and don't stop until then (I'm assuming I can be off them in a couple of days). Please do take your doctor's painkillers advice much more serious than mine. ;)
- I have left the house a couple of times since the surgery but for short walks only. During the first seven days I didn't leave the house at all. I feel however that now I could go out for longer if I wanted to
- I haven't been to the office until today. Tomorrow is a bank holiday in the UK so I may try to go on Tuesday but I may also decide to work from home for another 2-3 days as at times things can become uncomfortable. I would miss my hot baths.
- The wound looks so much better and calmer than 12 days ago. The wound is less rough and more equal to normal skin, however there is a lot of discharge which I clean carefully with wipes or a bath throughout the day.
- I left the bed after 7 days. 5 Days ago I would still spend some hours on top of the bed, but today I'm out of the bed completely (actually since 3 days ago).
- I can sit for 3-4 hours but consciously try to rest in between on the couch. When I sit I ensure I sit on a soft pillow.
- I have sometimes a heavy and uncomfortable feeling down there. I also have irregular BMs in general and different consistencies. I guess it's a personal thing but I've had quite some incomplete evacuations and I find those especially to be bothersome.
- I went out on the streets and noted all the people walking through my neighbourhood - made me appreciate my area more than ever before 8)

I'm having my follow up on Wednesday and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm far from healed of course and that will take many more weeks, but the depressing first week is in the past. The most useful advice I've received is: "it's a hell of a surgery but hang on there, the second week will be better". It has been true for me.

I hope soon I can go back to the gym as it's the thing that I miss the most :roll: Not so sure about heavy squats though.

I am prepared for setbacks and have had them over the past two weeks, but I'm optimistic for the coming weeks.

I keep you posted.
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 29 May 2016, 14:30

Thanks for keeping us posted - so glad to hear that you are making good progress.
Canadabum

Postby Newtothis » 01 Jun 2016, 16:20

Had my 2 weeks follow up today and my CRS was extremely impressed with the recovery. He found the recovery "absolutely spectacular". I am a happy person today :) I am going to stop with the stool softener as I have never really had a problem with constipation and let's see how it will go. I have another appointment in 6 week's time. Until then I've been advised a paraffin cream to use instead of soap near the wound and a soft cream to apply twice a day.

Will keep you posted!

I can highly recommend my CRS in London. Takes his time to inform and a very pleasant and knowledgeable person in general.
Newtothis
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 01 Jun 2016, 16:24

Whooot whooot....honestly your post put a huge smile on my face!! So glad to hear that things are going well for you...awesome news!!!

The only thought I have for you is with respect to the softener...sometimes we can get a rebound if we stop cold turkey (any medicine or supplement can do this)...so you may want to wean off a bit more gently over the course of a week or two...just a consideration.

All best - CB.
Canadabum