Newbie..

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie..

Postby sickofthis » 07 Jan 2011, 12:22

Hi everyone,
I have had problems all my adult life with pooping. It has been hell and every doctor I ever went to told me I had hemmies. They basically asked me to live with this ailment. About six months ago, I had a re-occurrence.. ( they always went away, coming back every few years)
I finally went to a proctologist / colorectal surgeon and he diagnosed me with a fissure and three medium internal hemmies. I suspect I had the fissure for many years. Anyway, he gave me dialitzan and it helped me for a bit, it brought down the swelling I had! I went back for my follow up visit and he injected my internal hemorrhoids.After the injections, I was okay for a while, then last week the fissure came back. I have another appointment with him next week. Yesterday, I spoke to his nurse and she said, I should consider surgery. The doctor had discussed this with me and he wants to keep trying other methods, before doing surgery. I really trust this guy, he is honest and told me he will do surgery as a last resort, due to incontinence risks. After reading negative experiences on several boards, I am scared out of my mind! Any advice?
P.S...It feels tight around my anus at times and I wonder if the internal hems contribute to the tightness and the re-tearing? I wonder if treating the internal hems will help heal the fissure...
sickofthis
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Newbie..

Postby Guest » 07 Jan 2011, 12:50

Hey there,
I had a very positive experience with LIS and so have many others on this board. I read all the horrible experiences on the internet too and was expecting the worse. Most people are going about their lives after LIS and aren't posting their experiences.
There have been some really positive post on here just recently with LIS , try not to read all the negative. This surgery is very successful. They've been doing it for years and it hasn't changed because it works! It has a 90% or higher success rate. I'd say that's pretty promising!
It's hard to say if the tight/ swelling could be hemms, fissure or both?!
psss... I've never read one post of anyone being incontinent on here and I would never let a CRS do my surgery that had any cases of incontinence w/ LIS. My CRS said it's never happened in the group she's in, basically laughed and said "unheard of, Never". That's what you want to hear from an experienced, confident surgeon:) who's going to do your lis!!

Postby sickofthis » 07 Jan 2011, 16:00

Thanks...What can you suggest will help me in the meanwhile?
sickofthis
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 07 Jan 2011, 19:30

Have you been taking stool softeners? Many of us on here take miralax, some take docusate sodium/ colace, some use fiber supplements. Keeping the stool soft will minimize your pain.
Avoiding sharp foods or foods that will cause harder bm's is also important. Also fried or spicy foods should be avoided with hemms or a fissure.
Many use the ointments as you have like Nitroglycerin, diltiazem, etc.
Warm baths 20 minutes or more at least 3x's a day will help with the spasms and relaxing the sphincter also.
**I personally took stool softeners, ate 20-25g's of fiber a day. Used the diltiazem and ate only vegetarian food most of time that I had the fissure before LIS, Lived in the bath and on a heating pad. I wish I could say more but this is just about all you can do:) Hopefully you will get some relief. Sorry you've had butt problems for so long. I know how frustrating it can be!
Take care:)

Postby sickofthis » 08 Jan 2011, 00:16

dawn wrote:Have you been taking stool softeners? Many of us on here take miralax, some take docusate sodium/ colace, some use fiber supplements. Keeping the stool soft will minimize your pain.
Avoiding sharp foods or foods that will cause harder bm's is also important. Also fried or spicy foods should be avoided with hemms or a fissure.
Many use the ointments as you have like Nitroglycerin, diltiazem, etc.
Warm baths 20 minutes or more at least 3x's a day will help with the spasms and relaxing the sphincter also.
**I personally took stool softeners, ate 20-25g's of fiber a day. Used the diltiazem and ate only vegetarian food most of time that I had the fissure before LIS, Lived in the bath and on a heating pad. I wish I could say more but this is just about all you can do:) Hopefully you will get some relief. Sorry you've had butt problems for so long. I know how frustrating it can be!
Take care:)

How long is it safe to take docusate sodium? Thank you, Dawn!
sickofthis
Fibre Addict

Postby New mum » 08 Jan 2011, 05:10

Hey sick of this, sorry u have had the run around, its not the best thing to go thur everyone looking at ur butt.
I agree with everything dawn said.
Before my lis i used rectrogic and used it for about 3-4 months so i dont know if that helps but i would give ur doc a quick call to ask them. My crs said it was fine to use my cream for that long.
New mum
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2011, 08:58

I took it 8 months before switching to miralax after my surgery. My doctor only wanted me to take fiber supplements. Docusate sodium isn't a stimulant laxative, so I don't think your bowels would become dependent on it.
I've read of many others on here who were told to take it or miralax by their doctors. Many quit after healing their fissures with no problems.
I've been taking miralax since my LIS because I don't want to chance having harder bm's. Some CRS don't like you taking stool softeners for long periods but some like my husbands grandmother have been taking it for years under the advice of a GI?!

Postby sickofthis » 08 Jan 2011, 12:46

dawn wrote:I took it 8 months before switching to miralax after my surgery. My doctor only wanted me to take fiber supplements. Docusate sodium isn't a stimulant laxative, so I don't think your bowels would become dependent on it.
I've read of many others on here who were told to take it or miralax by their doctors. Many quit after healing their fissures with no problems.
I've been taking miralax since my LIS because I don't want to chance having harder bm's. Some CRS don't like you taking stool softeners for long periods but some like my husbands grandmother have been taking it for years under the advice of a GI?!

Hi Dawn,
How much miralax should I start out with? Thanks !
Thank you NewMum...I will check it out!! I am feeling a little less stressed out!
Bye for now!
sickofthis
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2011, 16:24

I take the capful(17g's). I think that would be a good place to start then if you need to adjust the dose, you can always take a little less or more. Many people adjust the dose according to how it reacts w/ them since we are unfortunately all different and react differently to amounts, but I'd say start w/ the capful.
You also want to give it a good 3 days to really start working. Another boardie advised me on this and he was right:)