Nifedipine side effects

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nifedipine side effects

Postby fissure for sure » 28 Apr 2011, 13:20

Hi all,
I've been on Nifedipine cream (2.0 %) for about three weeks, and I've been having the worst
chest pains. I have actually had an EKG and an upper-endoscopy to rule out anything serious.
The pain is most severe in the upper chest and at the base of the throat....feels like extreme
pressure (at its worst)...it can radiate out into my arm pits and up into my jaw sometimes.
Anyone have this as a side effect of nifedipine? I don't want to stop using it, but I've cut the amount that I use down to the minimum.
fissure for sure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Some side effects

Postby Deedee62 » 28 Apr 2011, 15:39

I had some mild chest pains at first, but they subsided. The headaches were bad, but they have also gone away. As long as your physician is aware that you are having these side effects and that there is nothing else underlying this, then I would document what happens & when it happens and see if there is a pattern. Just be careful. Dizziness is also a side effect and I had that happen to me at first as well.
How long have you been on Nifedipine? It works really well as long as you follow the regimen to a T.
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Nifedipine side effects

Postby AdoreDance » 28 Apr 2011, 15:56

I didn't have chest pains, but I suspect that my headaches and fatigue were caused by nifedipene. I cut back from three to two times a day.
AdoreDance
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby fissure for sure » 28 Apr 2011, 18:40

I have been on Nifed. for three weeks. The chest pains haven't resolved and I'm in the process of trying to figure out if they are directly related to the med. or not. It does seem like the worst pains came on days when I used a healthy (pea-sized or larger) amount. The nifedipine definitely helps, but these side effects (if that's what they are) really suck.
I left a message for my GI doc yesterday asking him about switching to diltiazam. Hopefully, this problem will resolve. I've been through the ringer with this fissure and am suffering from anxiety and depression as well.
fissure for sure
Fibre Addict

Postby Deedee62 » 28 Apr 2011, 21:14

I totally understand where you are coming from! Pain is exhausting! I hope your GI can come up with a solution that will give you relief and heal your AF!
Deedee62
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby Savaici » 01 May 2011, 01:38

I am using Nifedipine without any side effects. I don't feel it is improving much for me either, but am going to continue. Sorry that you are experiencing prob
Ems with it and hope that you can soon get them sorted.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 May 2011, 07:24

Hi fissureforsure - I also know what you mean about the depression, anxiety and exhaustion. Many of us here struggle with all that too. I've had more than a few breakdowns since I got my AF. This forum is a great place to help cope with that too. The folks here are really great, not just with practical advice, but also with emotional and moral support.
I'm very sorry that you are having problems with your meds. I really don't like the chest pain side effects - most people get headaches that go away after a while. I think Dee's advice is quite excellent: pay careful attention to your symptoms and side effects, especially since you've been on the meds for 3 weeks.
I'm very glad that you contacted your GI. I'm using diltiazam right now and I am not having any side effects. In fact, things improve after I apply it. At first it stings a bit, but it doesn't so much now. Have you seen a CRS yet? I would really recommend talking to one.
I really hope you get your med issues sorted out soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby fissure for sure » 01 May 2011, 15:36

Thanks for the support Hope. Yes, the stress, depression and anxiety (after only two months of this) really sucks.
Of course, my biggest anxiety now is that a CRS is going
to give me nifed or diltiazem ointment and they will produce the same side effects...which would mean I'm on my way to surgery.
All of this is even more stressful because my gf and I are
scheduled to move across the country in about a month.
Well, I'm calling the CRS tomorrow and can hopefully get in soon.
fissure for sure
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 May 2011, 16:04

hey fissureforsure - I completely understand your concerns. This is truly the most difficult medical issue I've ever had to deal with. A major move on top of everything must be a significant source of anxiety too. But I really think you shouldn't stress about the surgery. You might find that getting it would be the best thing you could do. I have an appointment with my CRS on May 10th and there is a big part of me that is hoping he'll just say I need surgery. That way I can just get it done with and have a much better chance of healing for good, rather than playing the waiting game and living in constant anxiety about re-tearing. I know the possible complications are really frightening, but I've researched this a lot, and even did a thorough search of the posts on this forum, and I feel comfortable with a surgical option, since the risk of complication is so low and the benefits are so great. Basically, what I'm saying is that getting an LIS may not be the worst-case-scenario for you.
I'm glad that you will be getting an appointment with a CRS. Perhaps s/he can advise you about whether or not you should get surgery before or after your move (if you need it!) and hopefully s/he can also refer you to a good CRS in you new location. Either way, I think you should avoid doing any heavy lifting when you move. With or without the surgery, that wouldn't be good!
I really hope you find some relief soon and I hope that the ointments work ... but meanwhile, please try not to worry about surgery (easier said than done, I know!). I'm sure that most LISers here will tell you that they are very glad they did it.
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 02 May 2011, 06:56

Very glad... Very very glad...I'm only on day 4 post LIS and just for the four days of no ass on fire I would do it again. It's not as scary as u think and it finally feels like I've taken hold of the reins and am on my way to contolling this thing myself. This pain, I can deal with... The other...I hope I never feel that burn again! I'm not even as afraid to poop anymore! Good luck, I hope you find YOUR solution, and soon!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10