Non-spasm pain?

the fissure itself hurting

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Non-spasm pain?

Postby Benny Lee » 22 Mar 2016, 14:04

Hi all, I am back on topical ointments after thinking I was all but cured (if addicted to stool softeners, cautious pooping, and living on a knife edge). However, GP today told me my butt pain wasn't piles as I'd thought (don't have them, external anyway, apparently) but a fissure on the left. She prescribed diltiazem, which hasn't worked too well before. And in the last week I used some of an old tube of GTN, which was better at pain relief (so I may order a new tube tomorrow), but within an hour pain and irritation returns. I believe the fissure itself is stinging wildly, in addition to any spasm and tightness. If I sit down for longer than 15 mins, it flares up worse. If I stand rather than lie down, it hurts more too. Could it be getting infected? It got a local infection before - which I got checked out and didn't result in an abscess - I had antibiotics and they cleared it up. Don't see anything in the mirror but then I don't think I can see the fissure in the mirror. I think it feels quite deep, might be the thing. It's on the left buttock side of the hole (the pain). Anyhow, I am on a waiting list for LIS. Two questions: what to do if all creams seem to irritate? And can pain from the fissure be more than pain from spasms? Because, obviously, the fissure is a cut in its own right, and will probably transmit pain in its own right. I certainly wasn't this bad two weeks ago. I don't remember fissure pain being an all day thing! (although admittedly it is far less when I wake up, and before any BMs).
Benny Lee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

perianal ascess

Postby Benny Lee » 22 Mar 2016, 18:32

Brilliant! With the help of a mini reading spotlight and a mirror I have ascertained that I have a small perianal abscess, in the natural folds of skin where the perineum first meets the anus. Missed by a colorectal surgeon two weeks ago, and a GP today!!!!!!!!!! Someone should be paying me for this shit! Small white boil. A GP diagnosed abscess before Christmas, I went to the Emergency Room, they said there wasn't one, I was on antibiotics anyway. I had a private consultation weeks later as pain was diminishing, colorectal surgeon saw a small fissure - fair enough, I thought, I can live with that, or get surgery for that. He handed me over (to himself) in the NHS where he also works, saw me two weeks ago, couldn't see anything, not even a fissure but said there must be one there anyway, scheduled me for LIS. The pain started a few days before I saw him and I thought it was haemorrhoids. So I'm going in to the hospital tomorrow for pre-op assessment (from nurse) so I might as well get comfortable in A and E too, try and get it drained! It is small, about a small pea size, of that, but I'm well aware could lead to fistula.... Anyone got any experience of small perianal ascesses just below the perineum/anal folds?
Benny Lee
Fibre Addict

Re: Non-spasm pain?

Postby Manitourose » 22 Mar 2016, 19:53

No experience here Benny Lee, just have had a fistula and fissures. However, I applaud you for staying on top of all this.

Is your new abscess in the same spot as the one before Christmas? I'm so amazed she didn't notice it today!
I'm not sure what the next if all the creams are irritating. My body seems to pick and choose when it's irritated and maybe it has something to do with where it as in the healing/lack of healing process. I know many people choose LIS after creams don't work or there is just too much irritation. Others don't choose LIS, particularly if they are not in pain or having bad spasms. I know coconut oil helps many people or vitamin E.

As far as the pain, I think there can definitely be pain without spasms. Just as you said, it's a cut so there is pain receptors and such. That "cut" definitely deals with a lot between bowel movements and what comes with everyday business. Though I think it's important to note how severe the pain. Obviously if there is unbearable pain, swelling and fever it's important to have things investigated right away.

Hope to hear an update from you Benny Lee when you know more. Hang in there!!!
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby Benny Lee » 08 Apr 2016, 08:36

Thanks Manitourose. I went to hospital, a junior doctor checked and said initially...it could be fistulas...then after a second inspection he said that what I thought was an abscess was actually a healed/healing fissure and the white was 'slough'. He also noted another healed/healing fissure at the tailbone end of the anus. Meanwhile I have a GP to thank for seeing the real root of the pain at the moment which is fissure on the left, on the anoderm, partially hidden to me I guess. The junior doctor was going to write to the CRS, and said, in effect, fistulas would have to be excluded, had I ever had a scan etc. So I guess when I get my surgery date, if the CRS has 'jumped to it' a bit more, things might begin with 'a good look' for fistulae under general anaesthetic. Meanwhile I am using slimy 'ole GTN, can't sit very easily anywhere, and have a rash which my GP gave me an emollient for. I feel like I'm swimming in gloop. Had been keeping it dry instead. But will try the gloopy effect till the rash is gone! Thanks again for replying.
Benny Lee
Fibre Addict

Postby Benny Lee » 08 Apr 2016, 08:41

can't sit very easily owing to causing the butt to 'flare up'.... simple anal spasms such as I had when the fissure was acute, seem a thing of the past. Round the clock discomfort is more the order of (most, but not all) days now, with nasty shards of pain to keep things interesting. Still, I have been inspired by some of the humorous approaches to our afflictions I have read on this forum (not to discount the equally valid despairing ones), and like to quote to myself the Ian Dury song: "Reasons to be cheerful". There's always some!
Benny Lee
Fibre Addict

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion