OTC Meds

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

OTC Meds

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2008, 07:23

Has anyone had any GOOD experience with OTC meds for pain relief. I was trying Advil but that appears to make things a hard.

Re: OTC Meds

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2008, 07:51

I have used quite a bit of advil and haven't found it to be constipating at all. My doctor said you could take 800 mgs 3 times a day and that does help with the pain.

Aleve might be worth a try. I don't know that tylenol does a whole heck of a lot but it must do something since people buy a lot of that stuff.

Some people have use lidocaine on the area to help deaden the area but it didn't work for me-actually was an irritant, but it might be something to think about.

A non-narcotic presciption med that I have taken is Tramadol. They even have it in extended release and I didn't find it to be constipating.

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2008, 07:57

When I had knee surgery my Dr used 800 mgs of Motrin so I know that I can take at least 4 advil (hence 200X4) But again they seem to make things hard.
Ironically enough I was going to the wrong DR. when my fissure started. I was going to a urololgist who diagnosed me with prostitatis. He put me on an anti biotic for a month and gave me tramadol for the pain. I never used the tramdol. Still have it in the med. chest. I think it is 50mg. I am using the dilaztem cream right now and dont want to put any other cream down there right now.
Again this is why it took sooooo long for me to find out what was causing this pain. WRONG DR!!!!

Postby buttgirl » 24 Apr 2008, 09:45

hmmm. Have you tried just plain ole asprin? I have used it on and off and it seems to be more effective that iburpofen at times.
you could also try drinking teas of white willow bark.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2008, 10:51

Sorry I should have asked that question on the this post. When you say non narcotic you mean non addictive right?
Also Asprin would thin the blood too no?

Postby buttgirl » 24 Apr 2008, 11:32

yes, asprin would thin the blood, but so does ibuprofen.
I think non-narcotic means not detrived from an opiate. morphine, codine, etc, are all derived from opiates and thus are addictive and constipating.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby juney » 24 Apr 2008, 12:17

i take up to 12 200mg ibuprofens everyday when things are bad, and that really helps control the pain. ibuprofen/motrin/advil - i think you can take the same amount of any of those for pain, 4 200mg pills every 8 hours like lecia said. i've never had problems w/ these meds being constipating. if you're concerned, try MOM before bed.
narcotics tend to be more constipating than OTC meds, i've found. i'm pretty sure the most common prescription pain meds, like percocet and vicadin, are narcotics.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 24 Apr 2008, 12:23

Thanks guys!