Pain and discomfort after successful LIS and healed fissure

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Pain and discomfort after successful LIS and healed fissure

Postby Sleepinggiant » 15 Mar 2015, 14:25

Hi everyone.

My personal hell started in September 2014, after a spicy meal. One hemorrhoid popped up and the doctor had to make a small incision to let the blood out from the clotted vein.

From that moment, I never felt normal again. The pain consisted in sharp stinging/burning from the anus, not really related to my bowel movements, which were never painful.

Nevertheless, I talked to the same doctor, and he said that I was suffering from a little fissure. He perscribed diltiazem and diazepam (for muscle relaxation) and I think it helped, as long as I was taking the medication. But when I stopped, the pain continued, and it actually got worse. At that point, I was taking hot tub baths to manage to sleep, because I was crying with pain.

I wasn't handling the pain, so I went to the hospital in despair. After seeing a different surgeon, LIS was scheduled and took place one week later.

From the pain perspective, I'm sure it helped. At least sleeping was manageable. The cut healed fast but the discomfort in the area didn't go away, with the occasional blood in the toilet paper and some burning/stinging throughout the day.

Today, 4 months after the surgery, the pain is still here. Being seated (specially at the toilet) seems to reduce the pressure in the area. Standing up and walking, on the other hand, seems to irritate the area.

I've already had an appointment with the surgeon and an external doctor, and they said the fissure is healed. But if the fissure is healed, why am I still experiencing discomfort, pain and blood? No one seems to know what to do now, since the fissure is healed.

I've tried almost ten different ointments/creams with no success. I'm feeling a little lost right now, and don't know what to do next or what to say to the doctors.

Well, this is my story. I hope it has a good ending.
Sleepinggiant

Topics: 1

Re: Pain and discomfort after successful LIS and healed fiss

Postby msimon » 15 Mar 2015, 19:54

I hope your story has a good (and soon) ending too. Sorry to hear you are still in pain after being told you are healed. There are a number of others on this forum that have that problem as well. They have been told it's muscle pain or nerve pain. Hopefully they will chime in here. If not, do a search for Pafen, OMB and Alyssa's posts.

I also had LIS 4 months ago but my pain at the moment is largely attributed to complications of the procedure. I have, however, suffered from pain in my pelvic floor and sphincter muscles for years. Ironically, mine too began with a hemmie procedure gone wrong (as have many others on here). So you are definitely not alone in that.

Have you had a scope of some sort to rule out bleeding from higher up (like a sigmoidscope or colonoscope)?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Sleepinggiant » 16 Mar 2015, 03:05

I'm really thankful for your support.

The bleeding seems to come from the skin around the anus. It happens specially when walking, using toilet paper, etc.

Even if I try to minimize those activities, the pain is persistent. It feels like there's a wound in my anus.

I have had a anoscopy and the doctor said that everything was fine. He said the pain could be from hyper sensitive skin, and perscribed a lubrificant, which made no difference.

I want to end this as fast as I can, but don't know what to do from now.

- Should I request more effort and exams from proctology doctors?
- Should I consider visiting a dermatologist or neurologist, since this can be skin or nerve related?

Thank you, and I hope you get well soon!
Sleepinggiant

Postby batmanwithaf » 02 Oct 2017, 18:37

Sleepinggiant wrote:I'm really thankful for your support.

The bleeding seems to come from the skin around the anus. It happens specially when walking, using toilet paper, etc.

Even if I try to minimize those activities, the pain is persistent. It feels like there's a wound in my anus.

I have had a anoscopy and the doctor said that everything was fine. He said the pain could be from hyper sensitive skin, and perscribed a lubrificant, which made no difference.

I want to end this as fast as I can, but don't know what to do from now.

- Should I request more effort and exams from proctology doctors?
- Should I consider visiting a dermatologist or neurologist, since this can be skin or nerve related?

Thank you, and I hope you get well soon!

Hey, how are you doing? Did your pain go away?
batmanwithaf
Fibre Addict