Pain has just subsided

The throbbing pain I had for two days since surgery has subsided and it is a great releaf

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Pain has just subsided

Postby Deleted User 3190 » 06 Nov 2013, 14:08

It is my third day since surgery and I wanted to know how people in my condition are coping with the surgery. I am glad that I came across this website. It is kind of encouraging to read about the stories. So, I decided to share my story.

About 3 years ago I noticed a bump between my cheeks. It is near the anal opening on the side of my balls. Few days earlier I felt constipation tear the wall. Before seeing a colorectal surgeon, the bump burst and I was relieved from the pain.

On my visit to the surgeon, he opened it a bit with local anesthesia. It was very painful. I took antibiotic and pain med and the bump disappeared.

About a year ago the bump appeared again. I was scared to go to the surgeon and get the same treatment. I read online that all I had to do is wait until it burst and it will heal on its own. I did that and surely that was what happened. I sit in warm bath after using the toilet and I needed to press the swelling to push the abscess out every other day.

One thing I noticed after the bump healed is that there is a small lump deep inside that swells and disappears. About two weeks ago I had the fistula reappear in the same spot. At this time I decided to get a permanent solution.

I went to the same surgeon and he prescribed cipro and metamudazol. The fistula exploded while I was taking the prescription. Anyways the prescription didn't work. I asked the surgeon if there is a permanent solution and he scheduled me for surgery.

Day of surgery was not bad at all. 8 hrs after surgery the sedative wear off and the real pain started. Hydrocodon didn't relief the pain. The pain continued the next day and today I feel much better. I am surprised the surgeon didn't prescribe antibiotic. I have a follow up in two weeks. My hope is that this is the last time I deal with it.

I understand that discipline is required to stay healthy. I know I have to choose between brown rice or white, eat more fruits and veggies or sandwich, drink lots of water instead of beer. Actually I am going to drink water now.

I hope you all will get cure.
Last edited by Deleted User 3190 on 07 Nov 2013, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 3190

Re: Pain has just subsided

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Nov 2013, 16:52

Hi Nom,
Did you have surgery for a Fistula caused by an abscess? or a fissure-related procedure?
It's good to read that your surgery went well & you are now feeling so much better...........Keep on healing!.
Water is great :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Deleted User 3190 » 06 Nov 2013, 17:10

I had surgery for fistula caused by abscess. The surgeon said he will open the wound and the wound will heal from the inside out. I didn't ask the surgeon but it looks like I have Seton to drain the abscess. It took a day and half for me to go use the restroom. There was blood in the stool. The surgeon mentioned it is normal to not go for two days because the colon is empty after using enema before the surgery. Now I have a mucus like pinkish drain. It is tiny and happens few times a day. I wipe it with a tissue and use a warm stream of water to clean the area.
Last edited by Deleted User 3190 on 07 Nov 2013, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 3190

Postby Ever the Optimist » 06 Nov 2013, 17:23

That's the same surgery I had too Nom and because my fistula was very small & superficial, it healed with no issues and in about 2 months. Hopefully, once your Seton is removed/ falls out, you will not require any further surgery now and the wound will heal well. Everything sounds pretty normal in your recovery and all the very best to you :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Deleted User 3190 » 06 Nov 2013, 22:29

Thank you Optimist for the best wishes. How painful is to have the Seton get removed? Currently I am on a sick leave. I wonder what I should do if it takes two months to heal.
Deleted User 3190

Postby carmona81 » 13 Nov 2013, 05:02

I have a seton in place. I was out one week. Went back to work with some pain but I just felt I needed to move around. I don't think it was a bad idea. Crs said it was ok.
carmona81
Salt Bather

Topics: 10