Peanut Butter

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Peanut Butter

Postby Guest » 07 Mar 2008, 12:13

I may have asked this before, so please forgive me if I have - does eating peanut butter cause issues for anyone with their AF?

Re: Peanut Butter

Postby Guest » 07 Mar 2008, 12:55

I guess if it is just the creamy kind then no. But I stay away from the crunchy because the nut particles always want to come out right where my incision is!

Postby Guest » 07 Mar 2008, 13:02

Oh, no, I wouldn't even think of the crunchy stuff! That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Postby buttgirl » 07 Mar 2008, 16:03

peanut butter causes me mouth lesions. I'mnot sure why. Almond butter has been great though, especially on a stalk of celery. i also like macadamia butter and cashew butter. they're delicious. In fact, I think I will have some macadamia butter for dinner. Yum!
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 07 Mar 2008, 20:35

Chris - maybe you are allergic to it ? It is not healthy food anyway - so you are not missing on anything : ) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 08 Mar 2008, 17:04

Hello,
Hey buttgirl do you an allergy to nuts?? Just wondering by your symtoms. I have had no trouble with peanut butter. But you might have trouble with your poos if you have to much fat in a day. High fat is not good so be conservative with the peanut butter.
Patty

Postby Sorerumpie » 09 Mar 2008, 14:16

I read somewhere that doctors suspect Peanuts and some other nuts are spicy ( or spikey ) food and can cause anal fissures.
It might be the peanut oil that does it, or the doctors could be completely nuts themselves ....................
Personally I think doctors don't really have a clue what causes AF's
Sorerumpie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Fissulyna » 09 Mar 2008, 14:30

There are many theories about anal fissures - but they always appear as a result of mechanical damage to the anal mucosa. Fissures are VERY common but they heal VERY fast in 90% of the cases. Even babies get them ! So, they become problem only when they become chronic (lasting longer than 6 weeks). Most of them again, heal with conservative treatments. Now, we have even smaller percentage left that is not healed !!! Of those that are in that category 95 % is helped with LIS (according to my CRS 98 %).
We can only conclude than circumstantially that loosening of the sphincter is very important prerequisite for anal fissure healing and that supertonic muscle is at fault.
In other cases where underlying illness is a cause, (like HIV, Chron disease , tuberculosis, etc.) , fissures appear usually as multiples and on atypical locations and look more like ulcers than "paper cuts".
So, even though we do not have clear cut theory about anal fissures, they are not a big mystery either.
All the best !
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby buttgirl » 11 Mar 2008, 13:21

I don't have an allergy to nuts. I can eat almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc.. just fine. It's only peanuts that give me the lesions and usually a day or so after consuming a lot of it. It might be an allergy specifically to peanuts, but my Dad gets the same thing. He believes it's because peanut tend to leach the lysine out of one's body. I just stay away from consuming huge amounts and I'm fine. I also tend to tolerate things like peanut butter cups very well.
Since this fissure thing, I have also found that I tend to tolerate fatty foods very well. Things like coconut, fatty tuna, salmon bellies, goose, walnut oil, and nut butter have been awesome and they have kept me from losing too much weight. They also seem to help keep my poos soft. Go figure. Beef fat, on the other hand, is deadly for my tummy and my rear.
Who would have thought my body would like fowl fat better than beef fat????hehehe
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 11 Mar 2008, 18:54

Ha ha, well, I noticed same thing @: P !!! The softest poo I get from lamb shanks , for example (??!!). It is just perfect - soft and thin and "lubricated" naturally LOL, well sorry for details ; )) !
I do not eat beef anyway- it is kind of suicide in many ways LOL - the worst possible combo of "extras" that come with it - from growth hormones, antibiotics, pesticides, Salmonella, Echericia, mad cow disease , BAD fats that clog arteries :pale: - thanks very much Image LOL !!!
I stick with fish, fowl, lamb - in that order ; )) !!!
Fissulyna
VIP